Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Traditional or cross handed putter grip?

NativeTxn

Traditional or Cross Handed Putter Grip?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a traditional or cross handed putter grip?

• Traditional (right hand low for righties)
    • Cross handed (left hand low for righties)
    • Both, depending on my mood
    • Other (Feel free to describe)

What is everyone's preference? I've always used traditional (Right hand low for me as a righty), but recently I have toyed with going left hand low. I've played around with it some, but haven't determined for sure whether I want to commit to it. I've got one of my main putters set up for cross handed (SS XL 3.0 grip) and one set up for traditional with the Golf Pride Pro Only Blue on it. Obviously, I can always change the grips as some point if I want to, when I ultimately go with one or the other.

But, I was really just curious what other folks use and what you've found to be the pros and cons of each method.

I putted left hand low for a while and now right hand low. Some people say short putting is better left hand low. Ultimately I would chose based on what helps you start the ball on line with you desired speed. Whichever you choose will impact your setup.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I putted left hand low for a while and now right hand low. Some people say short putting is better left hand low. Ultimately I would chose based on what helps you start the ball on line with you desired speed. Whichever you choose will impact your setup.

Yeah, I fee like there are times when I’m practicing left hand low of my yard stick that I find myself using my arms too much instead of the larger muscles. I chalk much of that up to the fact that it’s a new approach for me and just need to get used to it.

I’ve been switching back and forth between my Toulon left low and my O Works right low and one “round” I hit more off the end of the yard stick with the o works and then later that day with the Toulon.

I too have found that left hand low seems to make the shorter putts a bit more consistent, but I feel like I have a harder time on longer putts and/or slower greens getting the power and distance control with left hand low. Again, could be more the new style and getting used to it, but definitely something I’ve noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cross handed feels so foreign to me, I've tried to get used to it but I pull to the left with that grip.

I switch between traditional right hand low and a right hand low claw grip.

TM.png

Sim / M2 / MG

Z785

Brandon Matthews No2 - Not Made for the Tour
"buy the ticket, take the ride..."

1 hour ago, beelzeberto said:

Cross handed feels so foreign to me, I've tried to get used to it but I pull to the left with that grip.

I switch between traditional right hand low and a right hand low claw grip.

I've noticed that at times with left hand low, I tend to pull it left too - even more than traditional when I'd close the face to quickly. Again, I'm assuming that a lot of that boils down to practice and trying to become more comfortable with cross handed.

I've also dabble with trying a claw grip. I feel like it's very helpful for me on shorter putts, but I've had the same issue as with cross handed as it relates to longer putts and distance control.

For the last few years I've used left hand low putting if I was off track. Let's say 3 or 4 rounds in a row with 35 putts. Then I would go to left hand low just to give myself a mental reset. However, this year I decided to go left low full time. I also cut my putter down to 32" and put the fattest grip Super Stroke makes on it. I have a very straight back and through stroke, so I really feel like left low helps to keep the face square through impact.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

23 hours ago, NativeTxn said:

What is everyone's preference? I've always used traditional (Right hand low for me as a righty), but recently I have toyed with going left hand low. I've played around with it some, but haven't determined for sure whether I want to commit to it. I've got one of my main putters set up for cross handed (SS XL 3.0 grip) and one set up for traditional with the Golf Pride Pro Only Blue on it. Obviously, I can always change the grips as some point if I want to, when I ultimately go with one or the other.

But, I was really just curious what other folks use and what you've found to be the pros and cons of each method.

For decades played traditional (right hand low/right hand golfer) but for about 3 years I switched to left low. While I had success I battled short putt pulls (<7 ft) at times and regardless if I were having a good putting round I never felt completely comfortable in my setup.

I recently switched back to the right hand low like I learned the game with and my putting stroke feels natural again. Every now and then I am tempted to go back to left low but I really don't want to get in habit of switching back and forth. Instead I just try to take my time and get my read correct use what feels more natural in my setup which is right hand low. 

• 1 month later...

I've putted crosshanded since 1999. I think I saw fred couples doing it and I never looked back. I find it keeps my hands out of the stroke. Putting the other way is so awkward these days.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I experimented with left-hand low after watching Billy Horschel march through the FedEx Cup playoffs in 2014, and I haven't looked back.  Now, a traditional grip feels extraordinarily odd to me.  

For me, it has the effect of pulling my left shoulder down and into a better setup position, making it much easier to start the ball on line.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

For me, being naturally left-handed but playing golf right handed, I love the left hand low grip. I feel much more in control and my speed is much more consistent. I have noticed a slight tendency to pull left or set up pointing left if I’m not paying attention.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

As a RH putter, I use my RH to dominate the putt.  I wouldn't say it's RH low; my hands are fairly even but my RH is a little lower.  I practice putts 5 feet and in using only my RH, maintaining a cupped right wrist.  My LH is along for the ride, basically to steady the putter on longer putts.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I’ve always putted traditional, but I wouldn’t rule out cross handed if I ever get totally lost putting. Even when I’ve gotten off track putting traditional, it’s always traced back to not keeping my wrists still, using arms instead of shoulder pendulum, or rushing back and thru. The more relaxed and smooth I am, the better I putt.

Putting, like most aspects of golf, hinges largely on what YOU believe works - that’s never going to be one size fits all IMO.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I tried left hand low and just couldn't make it work, so I'm a traditional.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Cross hand all day, every day! When I started playing golf I am a right hander that putt left handed (yes, yes I know its strange haha). I finally decided to make the switch to right handed because the selection of putters is quite abundant compared to the lefty option. I tried to go the traditional grip for right handers but can't seem to get the touch and speed down. It all seemed to click when I went back to my roots. 

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Irons: 2023 Titleist Black T100 5-PW AMT White S300 Onyx (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi Wizard Inovai 8.0 Custom with Stability Shaft Tour Black

Ball: 2022 Titleist ProV1x (yellow)

I’m conventional style.  I did putt cross handed for 3 years during time Spieth was good but switch back to conventional 

I would use my shoulders “power” the long putts With short Putts I stand closer to the ball I use my trail arm mostly to tap push instead of my shoulders.   For a while I tried the Lydia Ko method , conventional grip for long putts and cross handed for short putts but I didn’t feel right and I just stick to conventional 

appedulum. Just an after thought day afterwards I usually putt with a flow neck putter.  During the period I was putting crosshanded. I was trying a plumbers neck and I  felt more confident with crosshanded for some reason.    When ever I take out the anser ping from my basement it still feels more comfortable crosshanded than traditional.  Maybe it’s a putter specific thing for me

Edited by Haro

I tried left hand low at home on the practice mat, and while it felt weird and uncomfortable the ball rolled really well. I tried it out on the course and could never get comfortable, and as others mentioned, tension is a killer and I pulled everything.

For 35 years I gripped the putter with an overlap, traditional grip because it felt normal. In the last couple of months, I have tried out a baseball-style grip with the putter: index finger of my left hand barely touching the little finger of my right. For some reason, this totally stabilises my hands and takes any wrist out of the stroke. Using a training gate, my putts start on line far more often for putts of all lengths. Setting the gate on my chosen start line on the practice green has, however, revealed how crap I am at reading greens....

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg, 15 deg tensei av blue x flex

Cobra F9 hybrid 17deg, 24 deg

Mizuno MP20 (6,7,8 MMC, 9,PW MB)

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

• 3 weeks later...

I use a traditional grip, though I have flirted with the idea of a "claw" grip and a reverse grip but I cant do the reverse grip at all, the "claw" grip is something I may try at some point on the course.

:ping-small: G410 Plus Driver, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 5 wood, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 3 Iron, Alta CB 70 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-LW Project X LZ 5.5

:scotty-small:   Phantom X 12

:titelist-small: Pro V1x Yellow

:Arccos:

On 8/29/2020 at 12:42 PM, NativeTxn said:

Yeah, I fee like there are times when I’m practicing left hand low of my yard stick that I find myself using my arms too much instead of the larger muscles. I chalk much of that up to the fact that it’s a new approach for me and just need to get used to it.

I’ve been switching back and forth between my Toulon left low and my O Works right low and one “round” I hit more off the end of the yard stick with the o works and then later that day with the Toulon.

I too have found that left hand low seems to make the shorter putts a bit more consistent, but I feel like I have a harder time on longer putts and/or slower greens getting the power and distance control with left hand low. Again, could be more the new style and getting used to it, but definitely something I’ve noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the same.  I tried it for a while, and made more from 4-10 ft, but 3 putted more, because I couldn't get speed right from long distance.  Was all over the place.

For a right handed golfer, the pace/power/feel comes from right hand in a right hand low, so moving the whole angle of right hand changes all the feel.  I could never make the low hand left take over the feel and control. 

A good Golfer is someone who loves the game and all that comes with it.  A good Player is someone who can score.

Not all players are good golfers.  Be a good Golfer.

• Driver - Taylormade TSi 3
  • 3W - Titlest 917 F
  • 3H - Taylormade Sim2 19.5
  • 4H - Taylormade Sim2 22.5
  • 5-P - In Transition
  • 50/54/58 - Titlest SM 8
  • Putter(s) - Ping Vault Voss / Ping Milled Anser / Odyssey Tour Black series #8 / Ping Vault 2 B60 / Scotty Cameraon Newport 2 Button Back  (I HAVE ISSUES WITH PUTTERS!!!!!)

1 minute ago, Stopher said:

For a right handed golfer, the pace/power/feel comes from right hand in a right hand low, so moving the whole angle of right hand changes all the feel.  I could never make the low hand left take over the feel and control. 

That is a generality; each individual chooses what powers the stroke.  Even with a traditional grip,  you can power the stroke with your left arm.   Anyone that uses the claw grip has chosen to let the left arm do the work

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

13 hours ago, Stopher said:

I'm the same.  I tried it for a while, and made more from 4-10 ft, but 3 putted more, because I couldn't get speed right from long distance.  Was all over the place.

As @cnosilpoints out, not true for everyone, particularly me!  One of the drills my instructor has me work on is to keep a ball in my right hand during putting and chipping, both designed to minimize the effect the right hand has in the stroke.  Taking the right hand out of my putting stroke and my chipping stroke has been a lightbulb moment for my game.   And, yes, I use a traditional grip for both.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

7 hours ago, CarlH said:

As @cnosilpoints out, not true for everyone, particularly me!  One of the drills my instructor has me work on is to keep a ball in my right hand during putting and chipping, both designed to minimize the effect the right hand has in the stroke.  Taking the right hand out of my putting stroke and my chipping stroke has been a lightbulb moment for my game.   And, yes, I use a traditional grip for both.

I couldn’t find it last night. Took more searching today. This what I was referring to.  An old article with stuff from Dave Stockton.  it fit for me.  I putt almost as good with my right hand as I do with both.  I guess I take stuff from someone like Stockton as gospel, but that’s me. 🙂

https://golftoday.co.uk/dave-stocktons-all-time-top-ten-putting-tips/

A good Golfer is someone who loves the game and all that comes with it.  A good Player is someone who can score.

Not all players are good golfers.  Be a good Golfer.

• Driver - Taylormade TSi 3
  • 3W - Titlest 917 F
  • 3H - Taylormade Sim2 19.5
  • 4H - Taylormade Sim2 22.5
  • 5-P - In Transition
  • 50/54/58 - Titlest SM 8
  • Putter(s) - Ping Vault Voss / Ping Milled Anser / Odyssey Tour Black series #8 / Ping Vault 2 B60 / Scotty Cameraon Newport 2 Button Back  (I HAVE ISSUES WITH PUTTERS!!!!!)

42 minutes ago, Stopher said:

I couldn’t find it last night. Took more searching today. This what I was referring to.  An old article with stuff from Dave Stockton.  it fit for me.  I putt almost as good with my right hand as I do with both.  I guess I take stuff from someone like Stockton as gospel, but that’s me. 🙂

https://golftoday.co.uk/dave-stocktons-all-time-top-ten-putting-tips/

That is what Stockon teaches.  Pelz would teach you shoulders dominate;  Tiger would be right hand, Rory (and any claw grip player) would be left hand, and  Stan Utley would be passive shoulders and both arms.   They are all methods and any of them will work for you.   You find that you use the right arm and I am not saying that it isn't right for you but it may not be right for everyone.  It is like the theory that eyes should be over the ball.   Or that you should have a stance that is square to the line.   Or that you should hold the putter using a particular grip.    Ultimately, they are all acceptable methods. 

I've tried both and found that neither is particularly advantageous over the other. And both have the same miss of a pull.

What I've found to be more important for me is having my left elbow out and pointing along my stroke path. That way my arms and hands are less active and I get a far more consistent and straight pendulum motion.

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been putting claw grip style for close to 2 years now. On my Scotty I use a SS 3 XL which overall helps balance that putter. But on my Vintage Ironmasters I use the the traditional stock sized leather wrapped grips and putt about as good. Now this is funny I can putt pretty decent Left hand low with one putter and that is one of my Bulls Eyes. Go figure all of that

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G