TESTERS WANTED! ×

Looking for input

J10

I’m currently playing a Titleist 915 D3 w/ an Aldila Rouge Silver 2nd Gen Shaft, set up at A1 9.5 degrees. Typically I carry somewhere around 270-75. I don’t have a slicing or hooking problem. I can play a little cut with it when I know I need to be in the middle of the fairway and avoid trouble and when I’m loose (rare these days) I can play a draw like I did in my 20’s. I can keep it in the fairway more often than not.

My issue is that I’m getting the itch for a new driver. The new Cobra and TaylorMade stuff is very intriguing. So I’m looking for some opinions/common sense... 

1. Am I really going to gain much my making a switch from what I currently have?

2. Do I just fight off the itch since I feel like I already hit the ball relatively long and straight for 5’8” 170lb “small guy”... and buy new wedges instead?

Talk me through this one if you would!

:titelist-small: TS3, 8.5°

:taylormade-small: M5, 3 wood

:cleveland-small: Halo 3i, 22°

:mizuno-small: MP-18SC, 4-PW

:vokey-small: 52°

:vokey-small: 58°

:scotty-small: California Monterey

Everyone always wants the latest and greatest driver of the year. If you are hitting your driver that well then I would first analyze the rest of your game before making a decision on your driver.  What area of your game do you need to improve the most?  Is gaining a maximum of 10 yards on your driver really going to change your scoring?  What ever you decide get fit for them.  Maybe it is wedges, a hybrid, or perhaps a putter. IMO get what you need to improve the weakest part of your game.. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I can give you some feedback on my recent experience with the new Titleist TS drivers and a recent fitting I had performed by Titleist at one of their Titleist Thursday events here.

I played a 913D3 8.5 at 45.0" with a Graffaloy Pro Launch Red, this shaft was "new to the head" this year, as I went from an 80+ gram Aldila RIP Phenom to it, more due to getting older and looking for a shaft that I could use easier for a longer duration.

Went to the Titleist event, and at 66 years young, was told I have above average clubhead speed, needed to raise launch a bit, and cut down some spin. Was at 94 mph swing speed.

Trackman numbers provided the data, both with my initial set up, and the clubs he tried during the fitting. 

After trying the various head/shaft combinations, the best fit for me was a TS3, 9.5 degrees, Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 stiff shaft.

Picked up between 7 - 10 mph ball speed, improved launch, and cut down spin.

I have played with this driver the past 2 Sundays and only missed a total of 2 fairways, both times with a larger draw than I hoped for and both times ball into a water hazard.

A disclaimer, is I am a left handed person who plays right handed at golf, and use a fairly strong grip, so the occasional overcooked draw into a hook happens.

They are faster off the faces than the 91X series, just make sure that whenever you do make a decision to get one, you get properly fit into it for best results.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

20 hours ago, J10 said:

I’m currently playing a Titleist 915 D3 w/ an Aldila Rouge Silver 2nd Gen Shaft, set up at A1 9.5 degrees. Typically I carry somewhere around 270-75. I don’t have a slicing or hooking problem. I can play a little cut with it when I know I need to be in the middle of the fairway and avoid trouble and when I’m loose (rare these days) I can play a draw like I did in my 20’s. I can keep it in the fairway more often than not.

My issue is that I’m getting the itch for a new driver. The new Cobra and TaylorMade stuff is very intriguing. So I’m looking for some opinions/common sense... 

1. Am I really going to gain much my making a switch from what I currently have?

2. Do I just fight off the itch since I feel like I already hit the ball relatively long and straight for 5’8” 170lb “small guy”... and buy new wedges instead?

Talk me through this one if you would!

Neither are questions any of us can answer.  You need to actually go hit clubs to see if you can improve over what you have today.   We don't know any of the launch conditions for your driver,  we don't know your clubhead speed, and we don't know if you just picked components at random.  

i'd go hit new drivers against your to see if you can improve.  If not, consider wedges. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG