Balls ? Which one ?

Our Sponsors

On 8/30/2020 at 9:26 PM, Sparkee said:

Good day , my name is Sparky , I am a 62 year old retired electrician . I have been golfing for 40 years never more than 20 games a year til I got into my fifties . My game count has been rising steadily, since retiring at age 59 annual game count is approximately 120. After reading the latest articles on which ball to use I am still trying to find my ball . I have a driver swing speed of 90 mph , ball distance is approximately 220 yds. My 7 iron is 75 mph , distance 145. What are all you other older players using these days and why ? I have tried a lot of balls and to tell you the truth any of the premium balls all seem to behave the same . I have been staying with the urethane balls. Oh one other comment during the telecast of the BMW today I heard Azinger suggest that the pros are using two balls in there tournament rounds . A high spin ball on the par threes and possibly some shaft par 4s. A low spin ball on the driver holes . Any truth to that comment ?

Hey Sparkee!

I did some golf ball testing this year.  While we are at different places in our golf games, I think what I did might help.  I read all the MGS data on golf balls from their 2019 analysis, and picked 4 that I thought fit what I needed, mostly for spin numbers off driver and wedge.  I then went and bought a sleeve of each.  Over the next few rounds, I played each ball for a stretch of 3-6 holes.  I kept notes on fell, and distances.  After about 4 rounds, I found myself going back to one model consistently, so that is my ball.

On another point, I'm surprised no one mentioned it (unless I missed it while quickly reading all the response), but there is a rule in the USGA for tournament play that stats a player must play the same ball for a given round.  If they start with a Titleist Pro-V1 for that round.  Obviously they could use 18 different Pro-V1's, but they can't change to a higher spinning ball for a par 3, and more distance Titleist for par-5's. 

Best of luck with your ball hunt.  I have seen a lot people hitting really quality shots, and long way, with Callaway Chrome Soft the last few months.  I think those are a bit cheaper and may be worth a look. 

A good Golfer is someone who loves the game and all that comes with it.  A good Player is someone who can score.

Not all players are good golfers.  Be a good Golfer.

• Driver - Taylormade M3 440
  • 3W - Titlest 917 F
  • 3H - Adams Pro Mini 20
  • 4H - Adams Pro Mini 23
  • 5-P - Callaway Apex Pro 2019 w/KBS C-Taper 120S
  • 50/54/58 - Titlest SM 5
  • Putter(s) - Ping Vault Voss / Ping Milled Anser / Odyssey Tour Black series #8 / Ping Vault 2 B60 / Scotty Cameraon Newport 2 Button Back  (I HAVE ISSUES WITH PUTTERS!!!!!)
On 8/30/2020 at 11:26 PM, Sparkee said:

Good day , my name is Sparky , I am a 62 year old retired electrician . I have been golfing for 40 years never more than 20 games a year til I got into my fifties . My game count has been rising steadily, since retiring at age 59 annual game count is approximately 120. After reading the latest articles on which ball to use I am still trying to find my ball . I have a driver swing speed of 90 mph , ball distance is approximately 220 yds. My 7 iron is 75 mph , distance 145. What are all you other older players using these days and why ? I have tried a lot of balls and to tell you the truth any of the premium balls all seem to behave the same . I have been staying with the urethane balls. Oh one other comment during the telecast of the BMW today I heard Azinger suggest that the pros are using two balls in there tournament rounds . A high spin ball on the par threes and possibly some shaft par 4s. A low spin ball on the driver holes . Any truth to that comment ?

Sparky, As a 62 y.o with similar stats, it's the soft feel. It feels great and I get the best distance. Rumor has it the new version has some green side spin. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have similar swing speed and tend to favor Bridgestone e12. Designed specifically for players with less than 105 MPH driver swing speeds, decently priced and performs well.

Driver - :tour-edge: Hot Launch E521

Woods - :tour-edge: Hot Launch C521 3 Wood 

Hybrid - :tour-edge: Hot Launch E521 3H

Irons - Sterling Single Length 5-PW

Wedges:bridgestone-small: Tour B XW-1 54 & 58

Putter - SeeMore FGP20

Balls:bridgestone-small: e6

Bag:1590477705_SunMountain: Eco-Lite

ShoesTRUE KNIT II  TRUE ECO KNIT

I am 63, hit my driver about 220 and 7 iron about 140.  I play about once a week and I am pretty inconsistent.  I took the data from the 2019 golf ball study for the slow and fast swing, but mostly analyzed the slow swing. I sorted the data by each key metric, like spin, carry, offline and short area. I then ranked the balls by color coding to show excellent, very good, good, mediocre, poor, and very poor and assigned a value to each rating (5-0).  Then computed the average for each ball. The results let me figure out what ball is best for what I want to see, since I assigned the scale.  I like low driver spin, good driver accuracy, medium 7iron spin, very good 7iron accuracy, and high wedge spin with the high wedge accuracy. Since I tend to lose a couple balls every time out, I watch the cost. The top 5 balls were: Vice Pro, Bridgestone Tour BX, Vice Pro Soft, Bridgestone Tour B RXS, Titelist Pro V1.  So, I have been using the Vice Pro and Vice Pro Soft since I can get them for abut $27 a box.  If anybody would like the Excel spreadsheet, just let me know your email address. (Attached is a view of the analysis)

golfball analysis.jpg

Edited by Clement Osborne

Cobra King F7 Driver; Cobra King F8 3W, 5W; Cobra King F7 Hybrid 4/5; Cobra King F7 Irons (6-GW), Cleveland CBX 54, 60; Cleveland Smartsole S (58), Odyssey O-Works Marksman Putter, Vice Pro balls

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 70 and play two or three times a week. My index is currently 9.5. My driver distance is between 190 and 210. I play a seven iron from around 135 yards. Over the last couple of years I've tried a lot of different balls. I've settled on the Titleist AVX except when it's cold. If the temp is below 60*  I play a Callaway SuperSoft. My suggestion would be to do your own test to see which ball works best for you.

• Like 1

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough