TESTERS WANTED! ×

Play closer or back more with your buds?

Buffly

Would you recommend playing forward with my buddies who don't hit very far or playing back with my buddies who hit it longer than me?

This has been on my mind because I play with people above and below my ability. I want to get everyone to play from the same tees, but what is the best option. 

Do we drag the high handicappers back or pull the long hitters up?

I have always errored on the side of moving up, but someone told be I hit too far to play that close. 

A different friend I play with usually plays whatever tee I play despite his ability - he should play forward at his ability. So I usually say, "I want to play the forward tees today, is that ok?" 

I have no issue playing any tee - I'm happy to play. I enjoy more opportunities for birdies closer though. What bugs me more is the people around me having a bad round and being frustrated. 

Does playing closer make your round more enjoyable? 

There's always the option of playing different tees but, my experience is that someone always ends up playing outside their comfort zone. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

6 hours ago, Buffly said:

Would you recommend playing forward with my buddies who don't hit very far or playing back with my buddies who hit it longer than me?

This has been on my mind because I play with people above and below my ability. I want to get everyone to play from the same tees, but what is the best option. 

I have always errored on the side of moving up, but someone told be I hit too far to play that close. 

A different friend I play with usually plays whatever tee I play despite his ability - he should play forward at his ability. So I usually say, "I want to play the forward tees today, is that ok?" 

I have no issue playing any tee - I'm happy to play. I enjoy more opportunities for birdies closer though. What bugs me more is the people around me having a bad round and being frustrated. 

There's always the option of playing different tees but, my experience is that someone always ends up playing outside their comfort zone. 

A lot of this depends on how your friends approach their own golf.  If they're going to get frustrated playing a course that's too long for them, they should move forward.  If you're going to be bored playing too short a course, you should move back.  If you're gambling, its probably best that you all play the same tee, even though the handicap system can take care of players on different tees.  If you're playing casually, each player should feel free to play whatever tees they prefer.  I regularly play with my wife and another friend of ours, and we're each on a different tee, and its absolutely no problem at all.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Everyone should play tees they are comfortable with. In my regular group we play different tees. I have been playing up recently to work on my distance wedges.

But if there is gambling or serious competition involved then tee selection probably should be more objective.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I see it as an opportunity to play shots that you normally don't play whether you are playing up or back on tees you don't normally play. Playing up might give you more 3wood/iron off the tee or wedge looks into the green. Playing back helps you work on your longer irons into the green. I like to mix it up every now and then.

In regards to your question, @DaveP043 hit it on the money with how your buddies approach the game. Do they take golf seriously, or are just out their for a good time? Are they trying to get better, if so, maybe playing one tee back will be a good challenge and help them develop some of the clubs they normally don't hit as much. If y'all are out there to just socialize and get away from the daily grind, then I doubt many people care what tees they play from. Personally, I have found before that moving up a tee box didn't necessarily produce better results for me. I was driving the ball through the fairway on some holes, not hitting the best shots into the green, etc. That's why I mentioned it might be good to have your group move up one week and then back the next week, it'll help develop your overall game in my opinion. 

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

It sounds like you have the right attitude about this, which is a great start. I would say move up with a mixed group as it would be easier on the shorter hitters/higher handicaps. If you move up, just have fun and try different things, put the driver away.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is what is the difference between the back and forward tees? Is it 6300 vs. 6100? Or are the back tees around 6700 or more?

I'll do this on my home course. I usually play blue @ 6600, but if I go to the white @ 6100 I'll put driver away, and hit lots of hybrids, 4i/5i off tees. Give myself different looks. Try it, it is a great way to work on course management and break down a course.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

People should play the tees that give them the most enjoyment even if it's different than their playing partners, golf is supposed to be fun!  That said many times when ppl "hit it too far" to play up, they don't always practice proper course management bc you don't hit it "too far" if you are hitting the proper club (ie... Less than driver).  Enjoy the game!

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

8 hours ago, Buffly said:

I've always played the tees that best match my abilities, but something interesting happened when I started playing tournaments and was forced to play further back. I learned how to hit the ball longer!!!

I'm not saying people should just move back without cause so they can see if they'll start hitting the ball further, but because I wanted to play tournaments and I wanted to do well I found myself picking up distance without much effort simply because I needed it in order to compete.

My local course stretches out to 6850 yards according to the scorecard. When I first started playing this course by myself last fall, I opted to start from the tees at 6232 yards because I didn't want to set myself up for trouble.

Then, I started playing with some guys at a different course where we tee it up around 6900 yards. I found myself keeping up with them just fine. 

I recently went back to my local course and played from the back tees without issue. In fact, I found myself hitting my tee shots to very similar spots as before and was often hitting approaches with the same or even less club!!! Furthermore, I haven't seen any increase in score related to the additional yardage.

To address some of your questions more specifically, playing closer does not always mean that you will have a more enjoyable round or score better - it depends on your particular skill set. Same for playing further back and the potential to score higher. 

As long as everyone in your grouping enjoys the game equally and you can keep pace, it shouldn't matter who plays which tees. I've played in plenty of mixed tee groupings and everyone got along just fine. 

When it comes to the guys who get frustrated during a bad round, that's just a part of golf. Perhaps those individuals do need to switch to a different tee and perhaps the best way to encourage that is to make a game out of it or even challenge them with a small wager. Sometimes guys (like myself) just have certain expectations for themselves and get frustrated and negative when they don't meet those expectations (I'm working on it - and getting better 🙂 ).

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

8 hours ago, Buffly said:

To me, your question infers that your "buddies who don't hit very far" are high handicappers... "Do we drag high handicappers back..."  Being a mid-handicap who doesn't hit the ball very far, I really don't enjoy moving back to a tee where I am always hitting longer irons, hybrids, or FW into greens with the possibility of not get there anyway.  I have enough of those opportunities playing from my regular tees. lol.  Even if your buddy says that he will play further back, I am fairly certain he is not having a good experience, and your chances of being bugged increase because of his "having a bad round and being frustrated."  As others have said, you and the longer hitters can move up and work on different shots than normal.  Longer hitters can also be high handicappers, and they might benefit from playing a more control game.  The handicap system allows players of different abilities to play from different tees and compete.  If you make this a commitment and players stick to the tees they should play, I think everyone will feel more comfortable and play better.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

In my opinion you should play the tees you are comfortable with based on your abilities. That includes everyone in your group. The Handicap will make adjustments for differences between your playing partners (Assuming they all have one). 

I have been a member at my course for over 12 years and frankly if it wasn't from an injury I would have been playing from the same tees the entire time. About 2 years ago during my come back into playing after a few months removed, I started chipping and putting. Then the Senior tees until I got away from the club house and moved up to the women's tees. After a month back to senior tees then to the white tees. Truthfully I was getting bored playing the same course, from the same tees week after week, year after year.  I played the white tees twice a week for 10 years. Now I move around, and it keeps the course fresh and you can use all the clubs in your bag this way. One week senior tees, one week white, one week a combination of white and senior and one week a combination of blue, white and senior. My course has 4 par threes that are all about the same yardage ( 168 to 174 yards). This adds variety as well by mixing it up. I only post scores from playing the entire course from the same set of tees for handicap purposes. Like "cnosil" mentioned  he was playing up to work on his short game. I'll do that as well. I just want to enjoy the game and the course. My short game got so much better when playing up and only being allowed to chip and put for over a month. I admit I have no business being back at the blue tees ( that's as far back as my course goes). But once in a while on a short par four or a par three I'll add that in.  

Just have fun.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I play whatever tees my playing partners want to play (at my home course), unless they want to play from the tips. There is not a big difference in yardage between the 3 at my home course. But that is just specific to my home course.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I would echo what the other members have said. Bringing he higher handicap players back isn't going to improve their game and the might even get frustrated. When I play with players that a much better than I am. +1, +2 handicap they just put their driver in the bag and hit long irons off the tee. They always kick my butt and it makes it fun for them as well.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

2 hours ago, SmoothG said:

People should play the tees that give them the most enjoyment even if it's different than their playing partners, golf is supposed to be fun!  That said many times when ppl "hit it too far" to play up, they don't always practice proper course management bc you don't hit it "too far" if you are hitting the proper club (ie... Less than driver).  Enjoy the game!

I need to work on non-driver off the tee. With that said, in my current state, the likeliness of me either topping it off the tee with a fairway wood is about 50%. Maybe I should try hybrid off the tee instead.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

27 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

I would echo what the other members have said. Bringing he higher handicap players back isn't going to improve their game and the might even get frustrated. When I play with players that a much better than I am. +1, +2 handicap they just put their driver in the bag and hit long irons off the tee. They always kick my butt and it makes it fun for them as well.

You're right that it depends on the player. 

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

4 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I need to work on non-driver off the tee. With that said, in my current state, the likeliness of me either topping it off the tee with a fairway wood is about 50%. Maybe I should try hybrid off the tee instead.

I rarely use driver on the first tee because of past failures. 

My go-to is either my 5 wood or 4 driving iron. Both good for 200-220 and off to the races. 

If you all want to play the same tees I think the long hitters have to move up as others have said put the driver away if you want. Being a short hitter playing from the back can add shots and thus time to my round and we all hate those guys who are slowing the pace down because the are playing the wrong tees.

IMO, it's not about how far you hit it and everything about how well you hit it over the course of a round. One of the local courses here has a really simple sign, Blacks - normal score 70-79, Blues - 80-89, Whites - 90+. I think things would move a lot faster and everyone would enjoy the game more by just following that sign and that includes teeing off from different boxes in mixed groups. Even if you're competing, you can use the course index to level the playing field. Last, if you are with buddies and REALLY want to stick together just for the fun, then play from the fronts and enjoy it.

Edited by Cory O

2024 is the year of the short set!

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 11.5* stiff

Hybrid: PXG 0311 GEN5 19*

Irons: JustGolf Forged Blades (4, 6, 8, PW)

Wedge: 56* Forged Prototype

Putter: PXG Blackjack Center Shaft 34"

Bag: Sunday Golf Loma XL

14 minutes ago, Cory O said:

IMO, it's not about how far you hit it and everything about how well you hit it over the course of a round. One of the local courses here has a really simple sign, Blacks - normal score 70-79, Blues - 80-89, Whites - 90+. I think things would move a lot faster and everyone would enjoy the game more by just following that sign and that includes teeing off from different boxes in mixed groups. Even if you're competing, you can use the course index to level the playing field. Last, if you are with buddies and REALLY want to stick together just for the fun, then play from the fronts and enjoy it.

I think distance should come into play. I am a high handicapper, and while I have my fair share of poor drives and poor iron shots, too many of my strokes come from poor putting and poor bunker play. While others are trying to avoid 3 putts, I am trying to avoid 4 putts lol.

Updated 07/15/2022

4 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I think distance should come into play. I am a high handicapper, and while I have my fair share of poor drives and poor iron shots, too many of my strokes come from poor putting and poor bunker play. While others are trying to avoid 3 putts, I am trying to avoid 4 putts lol.

Playing the "right" tees will likely mean hitting into fewer bunkers and closer approach shots for easier putts. Not saying you shouldn't be trying to improve bunker shots and putting, but that's for practice time (once the practice bunkers are open again of course!).

At the end of the day, if you're not slowing anything down and you're enjoying it, you (or anyone) can play from whichever tees they prefer. I do think for most, though, playing from the tees best suited to their ability will lead to more enjoyable rounds (not to mention better scores from the better state of mind). 

2024 is the year of the short set!

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 11.5* stiff

Hybrid: PXG 0311 GEN5 19*

Irons: JustGolf Forged Blades (4, 6, 8, PW)

Wedge: 56* Forged Prototype

Putter: PXG Blackjack Center Shaft 34"

Bag: Sunday Golf Loma XL

IMO, the different tee boxes are there for a reason.  I think people should play from the tee box that offers normal opportunities with their skill set.  Even if there is betting involved, typically we'll have a rough understanding of each players ability so having golfers play different tees is ok with me.  

Played today with people I didn't know.  They sheepishly said they are playing from the white tees while I was playing black tees.  This course has gold, black, blue, white, and ladies tees.  My response to them, which would be the same response to anyone im playing with, is do what you do.  It worked out perfectly because my tee shot ended up right around theirs so we would have similar short to mid Iron distances into the green.

The only thing about longer hitters moving up in tee boxes, especially when there is betting involved, is that par 4s may start to be driveable holes and par 5s are easily reachable in 2.  I understand the idea of not using driver and course management but how many golfers do we know (including myself) will pull driver out instead of 3 wood or hybrid?

I would echo many of the comments in this thread.   I would stress that anyone and anyone that they play with can play from wherever you want regardless of ability as long as you do so efficiently, and quickly and don't slow things down.  I think anything can be done in golf, so long as everyone keeps in mind that what you do, and more importantly how long it takes you to do it, has a direct affect on everyone playing behind you.  This is really not meant to be funny or sarcastic, but I really don't care if four 30 handicappers play from the tips, and don't ever get a ball off the ground.  As long as you finish a round in 3:50-4:15 on  a weekend, more power too you.  You do whatever is best for your foursome, and what you are doing, betting, playing for fun, whatever it is.  Just keep moving and be ready to hit your next shot when you can hit it, and make sure the people in your group do the same.   Personally I think too many people don't play forward enough, and likely have more fun, but that is just me. 

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

I played in a league where three different tees were used (based on age) and the one I play in now is everyone on the same tee regardless. The former is a little slower (especially if cart pairings aren't taken in to account?), but not that bad - and everyone's HI was based on their assigned tees, so it all comes out in the wash. The league I'm in now everyone is on one tee (further forward than I'd like), but that's OK, and again it comes out in the wash after HI.

So it shoudn't matter for scoring if handicaps are used, which tee you're playing is factored in for each player.

I am fine playing any tees, though I'd rather not play ladies tees and I won't play the tips on most courses.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

With my regular groups, the guys play off of the tees that they choose to and the handicap adjustments even it out (we play our betting rounds low net)  Not being a particularly long hitter, I won't usually go back to a longer set of tees but have done so every once in awhile.  It turns the round into more of a struggle for me having to hit hybrids into almost all of the par 4s but speed wise I can keep up, but the round just isn't as enjoyable and I hit many fewer different clubs during the round.  I think if I move back a set of tees I pick up 2 extra strokes but it's not worth it.  The guys who move to the forward tees loose sometimes 6 strokes but they live with that since they just play better and have a more enjoyable round.  And their net scores work out. If I move back a set of tees, my net score will most likely suffer.  Overall it seems easier for a longer hitter to move up a set of tees than the shorter hitter moving back.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

19 hours ago, Larryd3 said:

With my regular groups, the guys play off of the tees that they choose to and the handicap adjustments even it out (we play our betting rounds low net)  Not being a particularly long hitter, I won't usually go back to a longer set of tees but have done so every once in awhile.  It turns the round into more of a struggle for me having to hit hybrids into almost all of the par 4s but speed wise I can keep up, but the round just isn't as enjoyable and I hit many fewer different clubs during the round.  I think if I move back a set of tees I pick up 2 extra strokes but it's not worth it.  The guys who move to the forward tees loose sometimes 6 strokes but they live with that since they just play better and have a more enjoyable round.  And their net scores work out. If I move back a set of tees, my net score will most likely suffer.  Overall it seems easier for a longer hitter to move up a set of tees than the shorter hitter moving back.  

That is my experience exactly. 

Moving back costs me more strokes than I get.

About ten years ago I was playing the men's tees (6400+) We had two guys join us and they hit the ball pretty much like we do. About a month later I moved to the senior tees (5900) and a few more rounds and we joined up with the same two guys who were still playing the men's tees. We got to talking about why I moved to the senior tees. Long story short we started to play together and they moved down the senior tees with us. They also found it was more fun being able to reach most of the par 4s and 5s in regulation.