Jump to content

Encourage or pick apart?


Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Is it your intention to respond to a post to provide useful information to further a conversation or to find what you don't agree with and pick it apart?

I find many of the latter which is offensive. 

I want to provide a positive viewpoint, encourage the poster, and keep the conversation going. 

If I disagree then I still try to keep the conversation going with questions that ask for more information that helps everyone understand different sides of a topic. 

Taking Bryson Dechambeu, Bubba Watson, Jack Nicklaus, and Matt Wolfe as examples that there are many different ways to play the game and perform at a high level. 

Respect each other's opinions and ask more questions please. 

  • Like 3

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Link to post

I never will "disagree" with someone or correct them without providing evidence.  I like to base my discussions, especially around the golf swing and equipment, around facts.  Launch monitors have revolutionized what we know about what happens with the golf swing and what the ball does when the club hits it.  

I am all for difference of opinions, but if in opinion is based on information that simply ins't true, I will be sure to call it out so that others on here are not misled and make decisions based on incorrect information.

 

  • Like 7

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X
 
SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH
 
Link to post
2 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I never will "disagree" with someone or correct them without providing evidence.  I like to base my discussions, especially around the golf swing and equipment, around facts.  Launch monitors have revolutionized what we know about what happens with the golf swing and what the ball does when the club hits it.  

I am all for difference of opinions, but if in opinion is based on information that simply ins't true, I will be sure to call it out so that others on here are not misled and make decisions based on incorrect information.

 

What are some of the biggest errors needing correction you see most often? 

I like where you are going with this. 

  • Like 2

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Link to post
6 minutes ago, Buffly said:

What are some of the biggest errors needing correction you see most often? 

I like where you are going with this. 

Mainly around equipment.  So much around shafts and what their function is (no, switching to a low launch low spin shaft won't guarantee you will launch the ball lower with less spin).  What different characteristics of heads do to launch characteristics.  

Amateur golfers are constantly looking for the quick fix when in reality there is more going on behind the scenes from an equipment or swing perspective that is creating undesirable results.  

People come here looking for answers, but I am a big believer of giving people the correct information so they can educate themselves and improve themselves in the long haul.

Kind of like that "teach a man to fish" saying

  • Like 9

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X
 
SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH
 
Link to post
7 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Mainly around equipment.  So much around shafts and what their function is (no, switching to a low launch low spin shaft won't guarantee you will launch the ball lower with less spin).  What different characteristics of heads do to launch characteristics.  

Amateur golfers are constantly looking for the quick fix when in reality there is more going on behind the scenes from an equipment or swing perspective that is creating undesirable results.  

People come here looking for answers, but I am a big believer of giving people the correct information so they can educate themselves and improve themselves in the long haul.

Kind of like that "teach a man to fish" saying

Totally! 

The equipment rabbit hole is very deep and clouded with misinformation. A lot of anecdotal evidence in those circles created quite the difference in opinions. 

  • Like 1

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Link to post

I like to just give my 2 cents worth, weather I agree or disagree, but always try to be positive and not offend. I like to ask questions to clarify and also provide my personal experiences. In some cases this have lead to certain individuals posting not so nice responses so I simply block their responses.

 

 

  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

Link to post

I would give useful information, further a conversation, give similar situations with results of what I have seen. I would not give instruction because I'm not an instructor. I would not suggest equipment because I'm not a club fitter. I'm just an avid golfer with 30 years playing experience and sometimes can offer some incite on things.

If I happen upon a post with some heated debate, I'll read it and move on. I'm not getting in the middle of something that I feel I am not qualified to speak to, even if I would have taken one side or the other. I have no need for the drama. 

 

  • Like 4

Driver, Ping G400 11* SR Flex

3 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 17*  R Flex

5 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 19* R Flex

Hybrid, Cobra Amp 24* R Flex

Irons, Sub 70 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

Wedges, Cleveland CBX 56* & 60*

Putter, Odyssey Marksman Fang 35"

Link to post
17 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I would give useful information, further a conversation, give similar situations with results of what I have seen. I would not give instruction because I'm not an instructor. I would not suggest equipment because I'm not a club fitter. I'm just an avid golfer with 30 years playing experience and sometimes can offer some incite on things.

If I happen upon a post with some heated debate, I'll read it and move on. I'm not getting in the middle of something that I feel I am not qualified to speak to, even if I would have taken one side or the other. I have no need for the drama. 

 

Wow, that is so sane. Kudos to you sir. Very good way to go about it. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Link to post
30 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I think there can be some of each.  Some posts are factually inaccurate, and I believe its important to get facts right.  A lot of these involve the rules of golf, and I try to point to specific spots in the Rules to answer questions.  There are a number of other topics where facts are important.  But then there are topics surrounding preferences, which golf course do you like, what's your favorite wedge, which player is going to win this week.  I prefer when people discuss those topics using data and statistics, or can outline definite reasons for their opinion, and I try to do that with my own opinions.  Another type of thread revolves around "conventional wisdom", some of which has been disproved.  Ball flight laws is one area.  In many ways the old ideas about club selection should give way to newer statistically-based ideas.  Golf swing instruction is an area in which I'll contribute a bit, but its always based more on opinion and experience, there are very few "right or wrong" issues there.

But in this particular forum, I find just just about everyone respects the other posters, more than in any other golf forum I've participated.  We can disagree, we can argue against someone's opinions, and still get along.  I try to do my best in that way, and probably fail once in a while.

I think you do great!

  • Like 7

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Link to post
39 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

But in this particular forum, I find just just about everyone respects the other posters, more than in any other golf forum I've participated.  We can disagree, we can argue against someone's opinions, and still get along.  I try to do my best in that way, and probably fail once in a while.

I agree with this and definitely have had times where my feathers start to get a bit ruffled. In those instances, I usually say one last thing - trying to be as factually accurate about the subject and steering clear of trying to attack whomever I've been talking to - then leave the conversation. I'm not here to make enemies. I'm here to share in a common interest, learn, and share my firsthand experience or knowledge where possible.

  • Like 3

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Link to post
17 hours ago, Buffly said:

Is it your intention to respond to a post to provide useful information to further a conversation or to find what you don't agree with and pick it apart?

I find many of the latter which is offensive. 

I want to provide a positive viewpoint, encourage the poster, and keep the conversation going. 

If I disagree then I still try to keep the conversation going with questions that ask for more information that helps everyone understand different sides of a topic. 

Taking Bryson Dechambeu, Bubba Watson, Jack Nicklaus, and Matt Wolfe as examples that there are many different ways to play the game and perform at a high level. 

Respect each other's opinions and ask more questions please. 

With all due respect, while many of us have our days or moments here I think it would be unfair to characterize the MGS forum community in general as a group that "picks apart."  We will certainly disagree with one another when we believe that something is being written that is contrary to what data seems to suggest but generally speaking the tone is civil and when not most of us will quickly apologize for an offense that was caused.  Normally the "offenses" come in attempts at humor - at least in my case.  I save the more difficult questions or comments for PMs so as not to embarrass a poster - normally those have to do with a belief that the poster has gone too far and might consider an apology.

 

Having written that I hope you stick around and see for yourself - after a while please feel free to correct me if you think I'm mistaken in this assessment.  Good luck with your game.

  • Like 8

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Link to post

I prefer to share knowledge and experience in a constructive positive approach.

There are times regarding certain subjects in which I am qualified to offer information that I may refrain if I feel the person(s) are argumentative or imo lacking in knowledge they think they have.

The internet is full of forums that imo facilitate negative dialog. Its one thing to have civil debate but i have learned its a lot like that one friend, work acquaintance or family member that wants to argue just to argue.

MGS in my experience has been a wealth of knowledge combined with some constructive criticism and civil debate.

Is it your intention to respond to a post to provide useful information to further a conversation or to find what you don't agree with and pick it apart?
I find many of the latter which is offensive. 
I want to provide a positive viewpoint, encourage the poster, and keep the conversation going. 
If I disagree then I still try to keep the conversation going with questions that ask for more information that helps everyone understand different sides of a topic. 
Taking Bryson Dechambeu, Bubba Watson, Jack Nicklaus, and Matt Wolfe as examples that there are many different ways to play the game and perform at a high level. 
Respect each other's opinions and ask more questions please. 


Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Link to post

I hope that my comments are beneficial and encouraging.  If they aren't, please let me know!  I am not an expert on anything golf (and I don't stay at Holiday Inn Express), but I have experimented a lot and have seen several golf instructors (some helped; some didn't).  I do have opinions based on my experiences, and I try to pass along my thoughts if I feel they might be helpful.  

I have been accused of having a dry sense of humor, and I have a propensity for stupid movies.  Sometimes attempts at humor don't come across very well in the written word.  I have found that the way people word their thoughts can easily be misinterpreted, because the physical interaction important to conversation is not present.  I hope that's not the case with my posts.

  • Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post

Something that I think is appropriate to mention here is that a disagreement isn't an attack.  If you post enough times here, and post honest opinions, eventually someone will disagree with you.  We come from a huge variety of different backgrounds, with widely varying skills and experiences and interests, so of course we won't all agree on many things.  In many cases, someone is going to learn something through a discussion of different viewpoints and opinions, I know I certainly have learned that way.   I really say this in response to the OP, who has seen comments which he feels are "picking apart" another post.  To me, reading people who disagree with my opinions is a great way to learn, or to at minimum evaluate my own viewpoint from a different perspective.  I've said it many times, the people who post here on MyGolfSpy are the most considerate and polite group of posters I've seen in any golf forum, we can disagree, or even argue, and still remain friends.  

  • Like 6
  • Love 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to post

It’s largely in the eye of the beholder. I’m sure I’m considered a Luddite by some when it comes to one topic - ironically that might be resolved if both sides would face honest questions directly instead of just repeating their POV over and over. Otherwise I try to be objective with all my posts. 

There are quite a few questions where the answer isn't black and white, and some want to completely discount one POV or the other - often using selective facts or proof by exception (generally far too common these days).

And like all forums, some people post with a preferred answer in mind, and they’re defensive if replies don’t align.

For the most part this is one of the most civilized forums I know of, populated by mostly (very) knowledgeable golf fans.

  • Like 3
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)
Link to post
1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Something that I think is appropriate to mention here is that a disagreement isn't an attack.  If you post enough times here, and post honest opinions, eventually someone will disagree with you.  We come from a huge variety of different backgrounds, with widely varying skills and experiences and interests, so of course we won't all agree on many things.  In many cases, someone is going to learn something through a discussion of different viewpoints and opinions, I know I certainly have learned that way.   I really say this in response to the OP, who has seen comments which he feels are "picking apart" another post.  To me, reading people who disagree with my opinions is a great way to learn, or to at minimum evaluate my own viewpoint from a different perspective.  I've said it many times, the people who post here on MyGolfSpy are the most considerate and polite group of posters I've seen in any golf forum, we can disagree, or even argue, and still remain friends.  

Amen dude.  Amen

  • Like 2

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X
 
SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH
 
Link to post
It’s largely in the eye of the beholder. I’m sure I’m considered a Luddite by some when it comes to one topic - ironically that might be resolved if both sides would face honest questions directly instead of just repeating their POV over and over.


I think there are 3 positions in that debate. I fall into the it doesn’t matter, just fill the gaps position.
  • Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...