TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Tour Championship

FrogginBullfish

The end to the COVID shortened PGA Tour season is upon us. The handicapped starting format is back again with DJ leading the pack at -10. Rahmbo will be at -8, JT at -7, Webb Simpson at -6, and Collin Morikawa at -5.

I'm pulling for DJ here. I'd love to see him win the FedEx Cup to add to his pretty excellent track record on Tour.

East Lake's always an interesting course. I'm definitely happy they swapped the nines around a few years back so they'd finish on a par 5 and not a par 3.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

More excited for the upcoming majors.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I cannot emphasize this more. Not invested much in the TC

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

That I can agree with.

Yeah.  This condensed season... meh for the Tour Championship.  

They really need to find a new venue, and get rid of the automatic points.  And pretty much everything involved with the NASPAR series.

It is golf. And I will watch it. I shouldn’t complain, but... It needs a facelift.

I've been a big believer that they should make The Tour Championship a match play bracket.

I'd like to see the Top 8 in the standings get byes into the match play bracket. The remaining 22 would play a 2 round stroke play event to determine the final 8 who make it to the match play bracket. Then single elimination to the final. Have the final be a 36 hole match play.

Yeah.  This condensed season... meh for the Tour Championship.  

They really need to find a new venue, and get rid of the automatic points.  And pretty much everything involved with the NASPAR series.

It is golf. And I will watch it. I shouldn’t complain, but... It needs a facelift.

IMO The Masters is the pinnacle, then the other majors, but I enjoy The Players and the FedEx among all the others. And I’m glad they found a format with one winner for the TC, the two winner situation before was odd/awkward. YMMV

I’ve enjoyed the Northern Trust and the BMW and I’ll enjoy Eastlake.

[Edit] The only tournament I really don’t care for is the WMPO. I sure hope that's not the future of tournament golf. And I am not a big fan of match play outside the Ryder or Presidents Cup.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

12 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I've been a big believer that they should make The Tour Championship a match play bracket.

I'd like to see the Top 8 in the standings get byes into the match play bracket. The remaining 22 would play a 2 round stroke play event to determine the final 8 who make it to the match play bracket. Then single elimination to the final. Have the final be a 36 hole match play.

I was about to post that they should change to match play event and saw your post. How many events outside the Ryder Cup do they have as match play? 1 I think, the WGC Match Play in Texas. Still have the money rewarding the people that got to the top 30, but now the people starting at Even par feel like they have no shot of winning this last leg. I see the argument of rewarding the person that has played the best over the course of the year. Give them a bye into the quarterfinals or something to reward that. That way, you finish top 8 and still get loads of money. I'm sure by limitations, the tourney can only be a 4 day event. So jam pack as much in as possible. Have multiple days of 36 holes like the Ryder Cup, make it fun for the fans. 

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

Would love to see more match play formats.   IMO TV struggles with it due to the early finish of matches. They need programing material to fill the time slot. 

Driver Taylor Made M4

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal

Mizuno ES 21 Wedges

Taylor Made TP Collection Putter

I know that this virus has turned our golf world upside-down, but it makes no sense to have a Tour Championship when majors for the year have not been played yet.  However, FedEx wants to give players lots of money for a meaningless event anyway.

I am not in favor of match play for a Tour Championship.  The sponsor wants to see the best players compete all weekend, not a one-and-done match.  If the BMW Championship had been a match play event, Rahm would have likely been eliminated on the first day, and the possibility exists that DJ could have been also, and we wouldn't have seen their amazing shots on the weekend.  

However, I am also not a fan of the current "ladder" experiment giving the top players a big advantage to start the Tour Championship.  Players struggled to get into this event, and the bottom half of the field has virtually no chance of winning.  I would like to see the field bunched up a little closer.

Pick:  I hope DJ wins... finally.

Pick from back in the pack:  Xander Schauffele plays this course quite well.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think the struggle for golf is how to give people just a slight edge for a good regular season performance. In other sports its easy to find that balance. Simply give them a slightly better match up and then its level from there. Golf does not like the match play for the exact reasons mentioned, getting starts knocked out early or a boring final match. Not sure exactly how they can solve this the slightly lower starting score gets a bit closer since the tournament winner, wins the whole playoffs. Almost think they should make it just a level tournament and cont the advantage that a better regular season makes it easier to get to the TC.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

That I can agree with.

Yup, I’m on the Major Wagon also.
This weekend should be fun to watch.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I love the Golf Channel....

I don't have cable service, so I was watching the 10 minute free preview on the GC site. The only problem was the the timer started counting down the second the page loaded, a full 30 seconds before the stream started, and there were 3 minutes worth of ads in the time I was able to watch. The stream mysteriously stopped with 3 minutes remaining and prompted me to log in with my provider info. So my "10 minute" preview was actually 7 minutes and half of that time was NOT golf. Oh well, I guess I'll watch for highlights on Twitter.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

4 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I love the Golf Channel....

I don't have cable service, so I was watching the 10 minute free preview on the GC site. The only problem was the the timer started counting down the second the page loaded, a full 30 seconds before the stream started, and there were 3 minutes worth of ads in the time I was able to watch. The stream mysteriously stopped with 3 minutes remaining and prompted me to log in with my provider info. So my "10 minute" preview was actually 7 minutes and half of that time was NOT golf. Oh well, I guess I'll watch for highlights on Twitter.

The PGA Tour App has the Tour Cast stuff now.  You can pretty much pick and choose which shots you want to watch... if you hadn’t seen it yet.

8 hours ago, Shankster said:

Roughly 1 hour until the first group goes off.  Starting on Friday really throws me off.

Must feel great to start 10 back without taking a swing.

Sooo, now will we have a winner of the Tour Championship AND the player that played the best and would have won if it was just another tournament??

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Not really. We got fortunate last year that Rory shot the lowest 72 hole score and also won outright but there will be a year where the lowest 72 hole score doesn't win outright so they won't win the Tour Championship and with it the FedEx Cup.

The handicap system was put in to simplify the scoring so we didn't need an MIT algorithm to figure out who was leading the FedEx Cup standings on the fly and to make sure that whoever wins the Tour Championship will also win the FedEx Cup.

Sooo, now will we have a winner of the Tour Championship AND the player that played the best and would have won if it was just another tournament??

Leaderboard looks pretty fun after the first round.

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Exactly so just wait for the articles about how someone that started at even and shot 20 under losing to a 21 under score from the guy starting at 10 under some year and how unfair this is.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

People have to write about something I guess, but the thing is, even in the old format, that guy who shot 20 under, probably still would have lost the FedEx Cup to the leader who finished at -11. So all they'd have gotten out of it is the win at the Tour Championship.

It's not my favourite format as I mentioned earlier in the thread but they achieved their goals in simplifying how the winner is determined while maintaining an advantage for the Top 5 in the standings coming in. If any of the Top 5 won the Tour Championship, they'd have won the FedEx Cup too in the old format. I think the 10 under starting point may be a bit too much of an advantage but I don't think Rory was the leader coming in to the TC last year so he came from behind to win it all. I'd say give it a few years of this format to see how things play out. Rahm's already made up his two stroke disadvantage on DJ through 1 round so who knows, the 10 under start might be the right number. It's only the first round of the second year of this so got to give it some time before we pick it apart.

Exactly so just wait for the articles about how someone that started at even and shot 20 under losing to a 21 under score from the guy starting at 10 under some year and how unfair this is.

On 9/4/2020 at 10:16 PM, ejgaudette said:

Aren’t you overlooking what it took for “the guy” starting at 10 under had to do to earn that? Under the original format “the guy” probably would have won the TC anyway. I don’t know of a perfect format, but the current format is better than the old one where there were usually two winners - sometimes that was awkward in that the TC winner didn’t have to play very well. At least now it’s the points leaders to lose. Do you have a better format?

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

19 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

Could happen this year if the top players don't get their acts together.  

I think they should just play straight up, no handicap/advantage format.  But in any case, it's televised golf and it does not make my ears and eyes bleed - so I'll take it everyday of the week.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

11 hours ago, Middler said:

Aren’t you overlooking what it took for “the guy” starting at 10 under had to do to earn that? Under the only format “the guy” probably would have won the TC anyway. I don’t know of a perfect format, but the current format is better than the old one where there were usually two winners - sometimes that was awkward in that the TC winner didn’t have to play very well. At least now it’s the points leaders to lose. Do you have a better format?

Not overlooking it but just know it's a change from other sports which might get to some. I agree I like this format better as well.

Haha sounds like I'm very much in the minority here, but I'm 100% good with the format. The handicapping makes sense to me, because it's not just every other tournament. And having the winner at the end also be the season winner takes away the confusion for me. Love the stacked field too!

Don't get me wrong, nothing beats a major for me either. But I do think any event that's not a major is just going to feel like "any other" event, unless they do something a little different.

Hoping DJ pulls this out though! Certainly seems like there's a mental challenge leading the pack from the jump, between what we saw from JT last year and how it's started off so far this year.

I'm surprised the Bryson talk seems to have dramatically subsided this tourny though. Wonder if he's starting to loose the shiny new-ness for the media?

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

12 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

I'm surprised the Bryson talk seems to have dramatically subsided this tourny though. Wonder if he's starting to loose the shiny new-ness for the media?

Other than the PGA (T4) he hasn't played well since he won the Rocket Mortgage 9 weeks ago. 50th at BMW, cut from Northern Trust, T4 PGA, T30 FedEx St Jude, cut from Memorial. The (golf) media is covering players who are doing well (and Tiger) - as usual. Full disclosure, not a Bryson fan...

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

DJ takes a commanding 5 shot lead into the final round. I'm pulling for him to take it home. Would be nice to see him add a FedEx Cup to his resume.

Now's the best chance to get it done.20200906_213719.jpeg

Obviously DJ to lose. When he’s “on” his game not sure who’s better. Saying that there’s 4-6 guys behind him who are not exactly slouches.
Should be an interesting 18 holes tomorrow.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list