Our Sponsors

People have to write about something I guess, but the thing is, even in the old format, that guy who shot 20 under, probably still would have lost the FedEx Cup to the leader who finished at -11. So all they'd have gotten out of it is the win at the Tour Championship.

It's not my favourite format as I mentioned earlier in the thread but they achieved their goals in simplifying how the winner is determined while maintaining an advantage for the Top 5 in the standings coming in. If any of the Top 5 won the Tour Championship, they'd have won the FedEx Cup too in the old format. I think the 10 under starting point may be a bit too much of an advantage but I don't think Rory was the leader coming in to the TC last year so he came from behind to win it all. I'd say give it a few years of this format to see how things play out. Rahm's already made up his two stroke disadvantage on DJ through 1 round so who knows, the 10 under start might be the right number. It's only the first round of the second year of this so got to give it some time before we pick it apart.

Exactly so just wait for the articles about how someone that started at even and shot 20 under losing to a 21 under score from the guy starting at 10 under some year and how unfair this is.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I said a few weeks ago prior to the final round of the PGA, Koepka’s condescending comments may just light a fire under DJ’s ass. A motivated DJ is sure fun to watch. Sent from my iPhone using MyG

A nice win for DJ.  He is certainly on a roll going into the US Open.   Maybe my jinx on picking the winner has ended.  1-2 finish!!

More excited for the upcoming majors. Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Posted Images

On 9/4/2020 at 10:16 PM, ejgaudette said:

Exactly so just wait for the articles about how someone that started at even and shot 20 under losing to a 21 under score from the guy starting at 10 under some year and how unfair this is.

Aren’t you overlooking what it took for “the guy” starting at 10 under had to do to earn that? Under the original format “the guy” probably would have won the TC anyway. I don’t know of a perfect format, but the current format is better than the old one where there were usually two winners - sometimes that was awkward in that the TC winner didn’t have to play very well. At least now it’s the points leaders to lose. Do you have a better format?

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)
19 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

Could happen this year if the top players don't get their acts together.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think they should just play straight up, no handicap/advantage format.  But in any case, it's televised golf and it does not make my ears and eyes bleed - so I'll take it everyday of the week.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

11 hours ago, Middler said:

Aren’t you overlooking what it took for “the guy” starting at 10 under had to do to earn that? Under the only format “the guy” probably would have won the TC anyway. I don’t know of a perfect format, but the current format is better than the old one where there were usually two winners - sometimes that was awkward in that the TC winner didn’t have to play very well. At least now it’s the points leaders to lose. Do you have a better format?

Not overlooking it but just know it's a change from other sports which might get to some. I agree I like this format better as well.

• Like 1

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

Haha sounds like I'm very much in the minority here, but I'm 100% good with the format. The handicapping makes sense to me, because it's not just every other tournament. And having the winner at the end also be the season winner takes away the confusion for me. Love the stacked field too!

Don't get me wrong, nothing beats a major for me either. But I do think any event that's not a major is just going to feel like "any other" event, unless they do something a little different.

Hoping DJ pulls this out though! Certainly seems like there's a mental challenge leading the pack from the jump, between what we saw from JT last year and how it's started off so far this year.

I'm surprised the Bryson talk seems to have dramatically subsided this tourny though. Wonder if he's starting to loose the shiny new-ness for the media?

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-3) :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52° & 60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

12 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

I'm surprised the Bryson talk seems to have dramatically subsided this tourny though. Wonder if he's starting to loose the shiny new-ness for the media?

Other than the PGA (T4) he hasn't played well since he won the Rocket Mortgage 9 weeks ago. 50th at BMW, cut from Northern Trust, T4 PGA, T30 FedEx St Jude, cut from Memorial. The (golf) media is covering players who are doing well (and Tiger) - as usual. Full disclosure, not a Bryson fan...

Obviously DJ to lose. When he’s “on” his game not sure who’s better. Saying that there’s 4-6 guys behind him who are not exactly slouches.
Should be an interesting 18 holes tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

8 hours ago, Middler said:

Other than the PGA (T4) he hasn't played well since he won the Rocket Mortgage 9 weeks ago. 50th at BMW, cut from Northern Trust, T4 PGA, T30 FedEx St Jude, cut from Memorial. The (golf) media is covering players who are doing well (and Tiger) - as usual. Full disclosure, not a Bryson fan...

Yeah, for sure. I'm not a huge fan either, and was getting a little tired of the "Bryson is demolishing every course" story line, especially when he wasn't actually dominating anybody. Just had a few tournaments of really good golf, but I was worried they were just going to keep riding the look at how far he hits it media trend for the rest of the year. Not complaining that it's not!

• Like 1

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-3) :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52° & 60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

I said a few weeks ago prior to the final round of the PGA, Koepka’s condescending comments may just light a fire under DJ’s ass. A motivated DJ is sure fun to watch.

• Like 6
On 9/2/2020 at 6:14 AM, Kenny B said:

Pick:  I hope DJ wins... finally.

Pick from back in the pack:  Xander Schauffele plays this course quite well.

A nice win for DJ.  He is certainly on a roll going into the US Open.  

Maybe my jinx on picking the winner has ended.  1-2 finish!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

41 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Really happy to see DJ get the win. He gets a lot of flak for the lack of majors on his resume but he's as good a player out there. Nice to see him add the FedEx Cup to his trophy case.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

+1. He was clutch when he had to be, a well earned win. DJ has dominated for three weeks now almost winning all three TC events.

• Like 3

Congratulations to DJ!
Pulled it out with JT and Xander snapping at his heels all day.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Just not overly excited about this tournament -I preferred the points format that this one replaced but even then I was never a huge fan.

There are four majors along with the Players and WGC events. This one just seems meh and doubly so with a US Open and Masters still to play.

Having written that Johnson played great from what I saw.

• Like 2

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Was able to catch some of the early action and then last 4 holes. We really need fans back. Seems almost “dead”.
Great shots and not a sound, weird .

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead