Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Iron design - high COG for lower flight?

Buffly

I have been thinking about iron head club design and specifically COG (center of gravity). Is it possible to design a club with a higher COG to keep the ball flight lower?

I came to this question because of the current market focus on sole weighting and low COG to promote higher ball fight. It seems that many blade like clubs that pros play get closer to higher COG for that same reason. 

Does anyone know of designs out there with higher COG?

Would higher COG do anything?

I have a tendency to hit my irons high on the face due to whatever flaws I have in my swing dynamics. My clubs usually produce a very high ball flight. 

My theory is that higher COG will produce a different gear affect and hence a lower flight. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Your theory is correct. A higher CG will spin more and launch lower on higher strikes through gear effect.

It's mainly going to be blades or muscle cavity irons that have higher CGs. Some CBs could be possible but your best option is to get a fitting done to identify what is happening between your current irons and your swing dynamics and whether something as simple as a shaft change could improve your delivery enough to bring your strike down on the face.

I have been thinking about iron head club design and specifically COG (center of gravity). Is it possible to design a club with a higher COG to keep the ball flight lower?
I came to this question because of the current market focus on sole weighting and low COG to promote higher ball fight. It seems that many blade like clubs that pros play get closer to higher COG for that same reason. 
I have a tendency to hit my irons high on the face due to whatever flaws I have in my swing dynamics. My clubs usually produce a very high ball flight. 
My theory is that higher COG will produce a different gear affect and hence a lower flight. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

1 minute ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Your theory is correct. A higher CG will spin more and launch lower on higher strikes through gear effect.

It's mainly going to be blades or muscle cavity irons that have higher CGs. Some CBs could be possible but your best option is to get a fitting done to identify what is happening between your current irons and your swing dynamics and whether something as simple as a shaft change could improve your delivery enough to bring your strike down on the face.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks. Good response. 

Unfortunately, I think it's my balance more than my shaft. 

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

What brand and type iron (i.e 1-piece blade, cavity-back w/variable face thickness, etc) do you play that yields the high flight you are getting?

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

25 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

What brand and type iron (i.e 1-piece blade, cavity-back w/variable face thickness, etc) do you play that yields the high flight you are getting?

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I play Ping G2 irons but really it is pretty much every club in my bag that goes high. 

I am not upset about height. I feel that clubs are designed to help most people get the ball up in the air where that is not my problem. 

I play the Ping G2 because I like the bounce. 

I used to play Titleist 735.CM and still launched super high with DG S300 shafts. The shafts were too heavy for me. 

I had the Pings as a backup set and eventually just kept them in play. 

My 5w, 4h, 4 driving iron, driver all launch high for me = Indian and not the arrow. 

Just been a struggle to find a club designed to lower launch and spin that also has some forgiveness also built in. 

Higher COG may only slightly affect your ball flight but the loft of the iron at impact is still the determining factor regarding launch angle. The shaft isn't going to make a significant difference on flight either as most steel irons shafts don't deflect much during an iron swing. The rearward location of CG being close to the face on irons and slower club head speeds of irons will result in little change of the dynamic loft of the iron. Lower flight can be achieved through lower lofts and a higher spinning ball that launches lower. The Ping i500s have a very high COG but it's unlikely they will lower your launch angle much. Keep in mind that a COG higher than 0.84" can reduce playability as it will be more difficult to strike the ball solid with the COG below the middle of the ball.

I do suggest you get fitted as you might be surprised at what could be affecting your ball flight. Length, loft, lie, and weight are the primary variables that will affect how an iron performs. Getting those right will hopefully reduce barriers towards a better swing. 

23 hours ago, Kansas King said:

Higher COG may only slightly affect your ball flight but the loft of the iron at impact is still the determining factor regarding launch angle. The shaft isn't going to make a significant difference on flight either as most steel irons shafts don't deflect much during an iron swing. The rearward location of CG being close to the face on irons and slower club head speeds of irons will result in little change of the dynamic loft of the iron. Lower flight can be achieved through lower lofts and a higher spinning ball that launches lower. The Ping i500s have a very high COG but it's unlikely they will lower your launch angle much. Keep in mind that a COG higher than 0.84" can reduce playability as it will be more difficult to strike the ball solid with the COG below the middle of the ball.

I do suggest you get fitted as you might be surprised at what could be affecting your ball flight. Length, loft, lie, and weight are the primary variables that will affect how an iron performs. Getting those right will hopefully reduce barriers towards a better swing. 

Yup, it's the Indian mostly. 

I will play with trying some stuff on the range and see what I can do to lower flight.