Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

what ball should i be playing?

Chip Strokes

hey everyone, i’m new around here and also new to golf. i picked the game up two months ago after years of nagging from my father. turn out quarantine cabin fever will lead a man to try new things. 

i currently play noodles because they’re cheap (read free) because a lawyer that i do business with gets his firm’s name stamped on everything humanly possible. 

as i get deeper into the game (fittings, lessons, etc) i want to be sure that everything i’m gaming is right for me. 

about my swing and how i hit the ball : 

ive got 135 club head speed on my driver, 105-110 on my 7 iron. i put a lot of spin on the ball and am actually a decent wedge player around the green for being so new. 

id love to hear everyone’s recommendations. 

pics attached bc i know that my swing speeds don’t correlate with being so new to the game. i’ve been on forums enough to know “pics or it didn’t happen”

16E016AF-143A-4587-A938-BC58E16E5F8A.jpeg

358B397B-94FF-4A85-9FA8-E05C666A7AB0.jpeg

Edited by Chip Strokes
spelling

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

2 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Honestly I think the what worked best for me was I bought sleeves of a lot of balls and found out through playing what worked best for me. This is how I landed on the Srixon Q star XV and I love how I hit it and how well I am able to play it. 

thanks Tom,

that seems like a pretty good way to weed out what does and doesn’t work for me. i’ll check out the Srixons as well. 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

5 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Honestly I think the what worked best for me was I bought sleeves of a lot of balls and found out through playing what worked best for me. This is how I landed on the Srixon Q star XV and I love how I hit it and how well I am able to play it. 

this is what I did too, I would try couple of different balls out to see what I liked and then when a new ball came around like the bridgestone tour B RX , I tried them, bridgestone does the vfit I believe where you can upload a slow motion video of your swing and they recommend a ball for you. It seems like there are so many different ball lines for each company that if you want something soft or firm or in between you can find it 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

With that speed and being new to the game, I'd buy the cheapest balls possible as you are going to be losing them by the box.

I'd wait until you are striking the ball more efficiently to even consider what is the correct ball.

Edited by Springveldt

4 minutes ago, Springveldt said:

With that speed and being new to the game, I'd buy the cheapest balls possible as you are going to be losing them by the box.

I'd wait until you are striking the ball more efficiently to even consider what is the correct ball.

i was considering using LostGolfBalls.com to do my “testing“ for exactly this reason. 

At this point in your learning curve, I wouldn't worry too much about what ball to be playing.   Play whatever balls you find on the course and the free balls you're getting. for free while you learn to play the game.  Honestly, until you're striking the ball somewhat consistently, it won't make a whole heck of a lot of difference whether you're playing a Noodle or a ProV1.  It's a lot less painful losing a free ball than one that costs $4.00.  😄

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

11 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

hey everyone, i’m new around here and also new to golf. i picked the game up two months ago after years of nagging from my father. turn out quarantine cabin fever will lead a man to try new things. 

i currently play noodles because they’re cheap (read free) because a lawyer that i do business with gets his firm’s name stamped on everything humanly possible. 

as i get deeper into the game (fittings, lessons, etc) i want to be sure that everything i’m gaming is right for me. 

about my swing and how i hit the ball : 

ive got 135 club head speed on my driver, 105-110 on my 7 iron. i put a lot of spin on the ball and am actually a decent wedge player around the green for being so new. 

id love to hear everyone’s recommendations. 

pics attached bc i know that my swing speeds don’t correlate with being so new to the game. i’ve been on forums enough to know “pics or it didn’t happen”

16E016AF-143A-4587-A938-BC58E16E5F8A.jpeg

358B397B-94FF-4A85-9FA8-E05C666A7AB0.jpeg

Sorry, off the main topic, but how far do you hit your driver. I am just curious, but I see the clubhead speed is high, but the smash factor is low, and the loft is like a 6 or 7 iron. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

9 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Sorry, off the main topic, but how far do you hit your driver. I am just curious, but I see the clubhead speed is high, but the smash factor is low, and the loft is like a 6 or 7 iron. 

i’m working with my club fitter on getting a driver that will work for me. the bad numbers on that table are due to my driver having a shaft that i have no business swinging.

when i square one up and time the crazy whip from my driver right, they carry 330-340. i get next to no run though because the ball flight is way too high. more often than not i get an ungodly amount of side spin and hit a mile high ballooning drive off to the right 

Edited by Chip Strokes

I would go along with everything that has been said here.  At this point I wouldn't worry too much about the ball.  As you improve you might not want to use balls that are 6$ a dozen.  That being said I still don't play Pro V1's or Srixon Z-Stars, I play middle of the road 3 piece balls, Bridgestone E12, Q-Stars, and actually now I'm going to try the Maxfi's tour ball, which was 34 a dozen but because of a special 2 for 50$, and a 20 off rewards code, I'm getting them for 20$ a dozen.  They have all seemed to play about the same for me.

My request would be that you(and everyone else for that matter) use a ball that you are "comfortable" losing.  Use a ball that if you know it is just 3-4 feet into the weeds, but you don't find it with a quick visual observation, since you are going to have to take a stroke to move it and play your next shot anyways, that it is a ball (the cost of which) doesn't compel you to spend 6-7 minutes looking for it.  I am not rich but I use balls that given the number I am likely to lose in a round, that if my ball in the weeds doesn't jump out at me, I simply drop the spare in my pocket, take my stroke, and play on.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

When first starting to play you are going to lose a lot of balls. Buy something that is in your price range and can afford to be lost. I would suggest srixon middle of the range balls. I was playing pro v 1s for a long time until I tried the srixon balls. I got the same performance from a cheaper ball. Try playing the soft feels for a while to see if you like them and the Qstar and the Zstar are also great balls and the price is good.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

• 2 weeks later...

You're fast enough that all of the premium balls will function for you, I would go https://www.lostgolfballs.com/, and look at getting you'd like to try. 

For me personally, I feel Pro-V1s, TP5s, Srixon, Bridgestone and Snell have always been great. It comes down to which ball presents what you want from it.

Are you looking for distance solely, feel, spin, a certain ball flight etc

Current Bag

Driver / 9.5 TS2 Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 65G

3-Wood / 15 

Hybrids / 16 Taylor Made Rescue regular shaft / 19 Ping G25 regular shaft

Irons /  5-PW AP2 Titleist irons Irons

Wedges / M4 AW wedge, Vokey SM7 54 degree

Putter / Taylor Made Spider

Bay Area

Handicap is an 8.

I play right-handed

• 2 weeks later...

The ball I recommend is the SQUARE ball. It is great off the tee but, it can be tricky on the greens. 

image.png.bcdec08355f9988245391dac32ccbbcb.png

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg