Can a comment mess you up?

Our Sponsors

11 hours ago, Middler said:

Hilarious, never heard it before - I’m stealing that one!

Last week, I’m not that bad but I badly topped/pulled an approach shot and somehow hit another players (unoccupied) golf cart even though it was well left of my line. On the next approach (sigh) he was 50 yards almost directly to my left and before I hit he asked “is my cart OK here?” We all laughed, self included.

Last year I was with a guy who tried to murder his drive, almost whiffed and topped the ball, and it literally went 10 yards. The guy he was riding a cart with said ‘do you want me to drive you to your ball?’ We all laughed, including the victim.

Those are some great zingers!

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

13 hours ago, Middler said:

I'd never do it, but my Dad said he asked another obnoxious player about the peculiar hitch at the top of his backswing (and refused to elaborate - 'sorry, forget I mentioned it'). Said it messed him up for the rest of the round, if not longer...

Wow, that's the kind of comment that can really mess me up - sometimes.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

13 hours ago, revkev said:

Pretty much never bothers me but if I'm playing poorly enough it could (of course no one would notice because I was playing poorly anyway).  The last time was about three and a half years ago when a friend of mine asked when the baby was do.  He realized as soon as he said it that it was a mistake (I have tons of stuff going on in my life and that comment was exceedingly unfair).

Regardless I took it to heart, entered a fitness program a month or so latter and lost 45 lbs. in 6 months.  I've kept most of them off even through the COVID mess so it turned out good.

Wow, congrats on the weight loss. I am a big guy and I know those kind of comments can hurt. 

My comeback is usually, "the extra weight helps with the follow through." 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

Depends who I am playing with.  

A group I play with each fall on an OC golf trip are from college days and we are brutal toward each other but everyone is ready to laugh at a great zinger, even the target.  It doesn't get under anybody's skin because the quality of play is secondary to the fellowship time together.

A group we used to play with in what we called the scramble tour (summer fundraisers) was less severe but we could still joke with each other.  An example that I loved was me hitting a fat iron shot and somebody commenting to the next guy that was hitting he would hold his belt from behind so the shot hitter wouldn't fall into the crater and break an ankle.  😄  I couldn't wait to steal that line and use it on another group of guys!

Any competitive rounds where it might happen I would realize whats going on with regards to comments and ignore them.  I really haven't run into too many trying to play mind games over the years, most are decent guys playing their own game.  Years and years ago I did get tired of one guys comments after about 5 holes and mentioned in a very sincere way that I wished I could delay my wrist release like he did so beautifully.  I almost felt bad by the end of the round......almost.

Fantastic!

On 9/2/2020 at 9:37 AM, Buffly said:

Has someone ever made a comment that just got under your skin and ruined your round?

What did they say or do?

Were you able to get back on track? What helped reground you?

lol no, not a chance in hell.

there’s really nothing a guy i met 4 minutes before teeing off can say that would have any staying power with me. 

Edited by Chip Strokes
  • Like 1

The BB never stops w the Groups I play in. Most it’s fine but occasionally someone will get on a players nerves. ALL of it’s Good.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

NOPE

While stationed at Holloman AFB New Mexico, the group I played  with would TRY to get under you skin, we did have ONE rule, the talking would stop as you started your swing, not a second before. Some of the one’s I heard before starting my backswing:

Hey, your wife told me your almost out of milk and jelly

Sorry about not making the bed or changing the sheets

Are you having a seizure?

Of course actual and fake flatulence 

How can you hit it on the fairway lined up OB?

Cute butt

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

The BB never stops w the Groups I play in. Most it’s fine but occasionally someone will get on a players nerves. ALL of it’s Good.

That’s how it is down my way, all good banter. I remember during a match this summer, one guy would always ask a particular guy teeing off if he was gonna hit a draw or a fade because he knew it would throw him off. It worked 80% of the time.

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

I’m usually the one making fun of my own bad swings: I try not to comment on anyone’s swings unless it’s a center cut bomb or right next to the flag. I find newer golfers tend to comment on every shot, good or bad, and talk to others players balls while in flight. Both are no-no’s in my book. My wife loves talking sh*t to me on the course, and I find it funny, but I have to remind her not to comment on other players shots, particularly random singles we get paired up with. I’m usually not one for needling buddies during a round, but if it’s funny, it’s fair game.

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

36 minutes ago, Micah T said:

I find newer golfers tend to comment on every shot, good or bad, and talk to others players balls while in flight. Both are no-no’s in my book.

gonna have to explain why encouraging a ball while it’s in the air is a “no-no”

• Like 2
gonna have to explain why encouraging a ball while it’s in the air is a “no-no”

Telling someone else’s ball to “get up “ or “get down” or “spin” when you’re unfamiliar with their game is problematic...

With my regular foursome, no worries, but with a random, I’m not talking at their ball.

25 minutes ago, Micah T said:

Telling someone else’s ball to “get up “ or “get down” or “spin” when you’re unfamiliar with their game is problematic...

With my regular foursome, no worries, but with a random, I’m not talking at their ball.

ive never had an issue telling someone’s ball to come back into the fairway or to make it to the green. no matter what your game is, everyone’s trying to hit fairways and greens. 

i’m not gonna just stand there like a mute out on the course if we’re stuck together for 4 hours 

edit: the only thing i think is a bad look is saying this stuff on an obvious mishit. if you slice it 40 yards off to the right you’ll never hear me go “come on back!!”

Edited by Chip Strokes
  • Like 1
ive never had an issue telling someone’s ball to come back into the fairway or to make it to the green. no matter what your game is, everyone’s trying to hit fairways and greens. 

i’m not gonna just stand there like a mute out on the course if we’re stuck together for 4 hours 

edit: the only thing i think is a bad look is saying this stuff on an obvious mishit. if you slice it 40 yards off to the right you’ll never hear me go “come on back!!”

I hear ya: everyone knows what a good shot looks like, and I certainly will congratulate anyone when I see one. I usually don’t pay attention to anyone else’s swings outside of tee shots and putts, too deep in my own little world I guess...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Micah T said:

I hear ya: everyone knows what a good shot looks like, and I certainly will congratulate anyone when I see one. I usually don’t pay attention to anyone else’s swings outside of tee shots and putts, too deep in my own little world I guess...

for sure mostly referring to tee shots here. everyone’s on their own after that haha

4 hours ago, Micah T said:

everyone knows what a good shot looks like

Unfortunately, I have a friend who has cataracts and, he can't see the ball past about 20 yards in the air. His golf etiquette is not great either. So, frequently he will say, "good shot," or "on the green?" Based off the sound of impact alone. 

It is a little frustrating when I pull one and he does that. But, I know it's coming so, it doesn't bother me as much as others who don't know his intricacies.