TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Golf Spy Ball Lab Report-Chrome Soft

Golfspy_CG2

The first Ball Lab report is up on the home page.  The first one out of the box is the Chrome Soft.    Share your thoughts below.

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-2020-callaway-chrome-soft/

Tested for MyGolfSpy Ball Lab, the 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

2 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

My initial thoughts are I'm surprised that there are still so many issues in the quality.  It ranked as a perfectly "average" ball in the premium category.   If paying $45 plus for a ball, I hope for more than average.   The 22% having some flaw or another is concerning to me as well, as that is basically 1 sleeve per dozen.

That is surprising to an extent but at the same time I didn’t think they would be able to get them sorted out in the first iteration of their upgrades and such. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

My initial thought is that it is interesting information. However, Information for a single ball probably isn’t relevant for me as I have nothing to compare it to.
From a usefulness perspective I would want an across the board comparison to see what balls are
similar to enable me to look at options and how changing parameters impacts performance.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

My initial thought is that it is interesting information. However, Information for a single ball probably isn’t relevant for me as I have nothing to compare it to.
From a usefulness perspective I would want an across the board comparison to see what balls are
similar to enable me to look at options and how changing parameters impacts performance.

Agreed, comparison is important.  I saw that Bryson toured the Bridgestone facility, and said he doesn't even need to epsom salt test them anymore...

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

I was in it on Twitter earlier discussing the results with people who were skeptical, so expect a lot of good Tony content today folks, explaining things to folks who either don't get it, don't want to get it, or are Callaway fanboys ready to rise up.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Also, True Value is going to really change how I look at golf balls, because I'm looking to stretch my dollar and not sacrifice performance along the way. It's a really interesting metric to determine value and something that I'm greatly going to appreciate.

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

17 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Also, True Value is going to really change how I look at golf balls, because I'm looking to stretch my dollar and not sacrifice performance along the way. It's a really interesting metric to determine value and something that I'm greatly going to appreciate.

So true, I think it will end up being the gold standard in comparing the value/quality of similar priced balls gong forward. 

I dont think Chromesofts are going to be selling well...or better than they already are.

They had the issue with quality control before, but even before that I dont think I knew/know a single person who chooses to play Chrome Soft. Among the big names, they are going to get beat out by Titleist are their well know multi million dollar quality control process...and now with the direct to consumer balls really starting to take off and charging sometimes half the cost, I dont see a space for them unless you are a Callaway fan boy. Really curious to see the labs hit up the direct to consumer balls to see how they stack up against the big names in terms of quality.

Edited by TomBomb51

*insert WITB here*

14 minutes ago, TomBomb51 said:

I dont think Chromesofts are going to be selling well...or better than they already are.

They had the issue with quality control before, but even before that I dont think I knew/know a single person who chooses to play Chrome Soft. Among the big names, they are going to get beat out by Titleist are their well know multi million dollar quality control process...and now with the direct to consumer balls really starting to take off and charging sometimes half the cost, I dont see a space for them unless you are a Callaway fan boy. Really curious to see the labs hit up the direct to consumer balls to see how they stack up against the big names in terms of quality.

Callaway didnt become a 2 billion dollar company without people buying their stuff. Unfortunately the majority of golfers are not on MGS. There's a lot of uninformed people out there.

Edit: According to their Q2 investor numbers, they sold $94 million in golf balls in 2020.

Welcome to MGS by the way.

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

6 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

Callaway didnt become a 2 billion dollar company without people buying their stuff. Unfortunately the majority of golfers are not on MGS. There's a lot of uninformed people out there.

Edit: According to their Q2 investor numbers, they sold $94 million in golf balls in 2020.

They own a lot of other businesses that aren’t equipment that get them that large over all value. MGS reported on their various businesses and how much they contribute to the company value 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I agree and hopefully we'll see a summary somewhere down the line that provides this. It's going to be a long, slow roll out if Ball Lab is released one model at a time and it will be very difficult for most to quickly decipher any sort of direct comparison.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

They own a lot of other businesses that aren’t equipment that get them that large over all value. MGS reported on their various businesses and how much they contribute to the company value 

That's why I added the $94 million in golf ball sales for the first half of 2020.

1 hour ago, Berg Ryman said:

I think it's interesting and a good add. But you can't actually use it directly because you can't sort out which are the bad ones - e.g. if one brand has 1 bad ball per dozen and another has 2 bad balls per dozen but the latter is a significantly better True Value, you're still playing 100% more bad balls? What am I missing?

It's going to be interesting to see how brands/models match up in terms of True Value nonetheless. I only play one ball, hope it fares reasonably well - as it did in 2019.

6 minutes ago, mwr57 said:

Good information, can not wait to see the rest of the test

+1000. I got excited when I read the post, until I realized it was just one ball. Patience, really looking forward to being able to compare all the brands I think I prefer, though the issue above may confuse the issue for me.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Just going through the comments and having a chuckle at the number of people commenting things like, "this is why you buy brand X" etc., etc. with no other data to go off of. I'm expecting to see other manufacturers do better, but I also think we could be in for a surprise as no one has done a test like this before - testing multiple brands and models using the same equipment and metrics across the board and then publishing the results. Very interested to see more of these reports!

6 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Just going through the comments and having a chuckle at the number of people commenting things like, "this is why you buy brand X" etc., etc. with no other data to go off of. I'm expecting to see other manufacturers to do better, but I also think we could be in for a surprise as no one has done a test like this before - testing multiple brands and models using the same equipment and metrics across the board and then publishing the results. Very interested to see more of these reports!

It'll be interesting to see how the manufacturers react, could be good, bad or no (known) reaction. You have to be impressed that MGS is willing to take this on, but they're in a unique position to do so with no sponsors. Hats off to MGS!

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

18 minutes ago, Middler said:

I think it's interesting and a good add. But you can't actually use it directly because you can't sort out which are the bad ones - e.g. if one brand has 1 bad ball per dozen and another has 2 bad balls per dozen but the latter is a significantly better True Value, you're still playing 100% more bad balls? What am I missing?

I mean, this assumes that the balls I may be considering all vary in price, which I guess was my bad from the post. I'm considering 3 balls for my bag going forward, Pro V1X, Tour B-XS, and Z-Star XV, maybe a 4th if a DTC brand like Snell or Oncore holds its value well in the test but it has to blow me away because due to lack of availability, for me I can't commit a large amount to something I just have never played or trusted.

The price difference between these balls is a span of what, 8 dollars top to bottom during the season, which is shorter for me being the northeast and with the various deals presented with the buy 3 get 1 and what not, they really average out to similar cost so even factoring in how True Cost is divided, I can't imagine a huge swing here, plus I'm dealing with pretty consistent brands as far as past results and tests go. 

SIK Golf Flo-C

34 minutes ago, Middler said:

It's going to be interesting to see how brands/models match up in terms of True Value nonetheless. I only play one ball, hope it fares reasonably well - as it did in 2019.

+1000. I got excited when I read the post, until I realized it was just one ball. Patience, really looking forward to being able to compare all the brands I think I prefer, though the issue above may confuse the issue for me.

They have pretty much been saying all along, this is different than the 2019 Ball Report, that it is gong to be released one ball at a time for the most part.   Most people have no idea the amount of time that they spend on testing these, and then it takes quite a bit of time to take all the information they gained and put it into data that is meaningful, and present it in a way that is consistent and understandable.   

This isn't some Golf Digest ranking based on advertising spend. 

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

The first Ball Lab report is up on the home page.  The first one out of the box is the Chrome Soft.    Share your thoughts below.

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-2020-callaway-chrome-soft/

Absolutely loved this review/report format. The true ball $$ is a great addition for consumers to factor when researching which ball to try and/or compare among ball brands. Looking forward to more of these reviews.

9 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

They have pretty much been saying all along, this is different than the 2019 Ball Report, that it is gong to be released one ball at a time for the most part.   Most people have no idea the amount of time that they spend on testing these, and then it takes quite a bit of time to take all the information they gained and put it into data that is meaningful, and present it in a way that is consistent and understandable.   

This isn't some Golf Digest ranking based on advertising spend. 

Ouch. I wasn't trying to criticize the ball study in any way, I said I appreciate MGS taking this on and I did not allege it was anything like a Golf Digest puff piece driven by sponsor $. I read MGS daily and I've watched every episode of NPG, but I didn't catch that it was going to come out one ball at a time. I am looking forward to the results however they're rolled out.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

1 hour ago, Middler said:

It'll be interesting to see how the manufacturers react

According to Tony replying to a comment or two, Callaway was informed through the test process. It'll be interesting to see if all the manufacturers we in on it or just Callaway.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

1 hour ago, KurtActual said:

Thanks for the welcome! Been lurking for awhile, figured I'd finally jump in.

I'd have to look at previous years numbers and the next few quarters. I guess I'm the extreme minority, as well as my group because I'm not kidding when I say nobody that I know plays Chrome Softs. I mean even hawking for balls I rarely find them. This year I can honestly say I've found more Snell's than Chrome Softs. 

Maybe people who play Snells suck? 😂 (I'm currently playing them)

*insert WITB here*

57 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Most people have no idea the amount of time that they spend on testing these, and then it takes quite a bit of time to take all the information they gained and put it into data that is meaningful, and present it in a way that is consistent and understandable.

Best thing I ever did was follow Tony on Twitter to get a better understanding of how much goes into all of this. Guy has been slaving away for months in isolation.

17 minutes ago, MattF said:

According to Tony replying to a comment or two, Callaway was informed through the test process. It'll be interesting to see if all the manufacturers we in on it or just Callaway.

My understanding is that they were in contact with multiple OEMs throughout the entire process just like they often are with club tests and other products.

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

My understanding is that they were in contact with multiple OEMs throughout the entire process just like they often are with club tests and other products.

Correct. And balls tested were purchased from retail and not obtained from OEMs. This was to avoid any possibility of an oem sending them pre-screened balls off the tour truck 

1 hour ago, TomBomb51 said:

Thanks for the welcome! Been lurking for awhile, figured I'd finally jump in.

I'd have to look at previous years numbers and the next few quarters. I guess I'm the extreme minority, as well as my group because I'm not kidding when I say nobody that I know plays Chrome Softs. I mean even hawking for balls I rarely find them. This year I can honestly say I've found more Snell's than Chrome Softs. 

Maybe people who play Snells suck? 😂 (I'm currently playing them)

Even though Callaway sells millions in golf balls, I find myself in a similar position as you. I dont play them, and the only guy I know that does, plays the neon red ones "cause they look cool."

I've found more Titelist ProV1s than anything else this year.