TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Golf Spy Ball Lab Report-Chrome Soft

Golfspy_CG2

1 minute ago, jlukes said:

Correct. And balls tested were purchased from retail and not obtained from OEMs. This was to avoid any possibility of an oem sending them pre-screened balls off the tour truck 

I made a comment on the Blog post, but will reiterate it here. I am still concerned/curious about the age of the ball. They found two colored cores in their test. What if they got a box of 2019 balls that predated Callaway's increased QA?

It's not like toothpaste or something where they have batch numbers and we can find out when these were made...

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

1 minute ago, KurtActual said:

I made a comment on the Blog post, but will reiterate it here. I am still concerned/curious about the age of the ball. They found two colored cores in their test. What if they got a box of 2019 balls that predated Callaway's increased QA?

It's not like toothpaste or something where they have batch numbers and we can find out when these were made...

It was from a 2020 chromesoft box. If callaway disguising 2019 chromesofts as 2020s the there are even bigger issues 

Just now, jlukes said:

It was from a 2020 chromesoft box. If callaway disguising 2019 chromesofts as 2020s the there are even bigger issues 

Ah thanks bud! I interact so little with Callaway products that I didnt even know they had different boxes from 19 to 20.

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

2 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

Absolutely loved this review/report format. The true ball $$ is a great addition for consumers to factor when researching which ball to try and/or compare among ball brands. Looking forward to more of these reviews.

Agree wholeheartedly. This format, with the graphics and the way they're reporting is very well laid out and easy to read. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

56 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Agree wholeheartedly. This format, with the graphics and the way they're reporting is very well laid out and easy to read. 

Totally agree this report had a great layout and tremendous information that I found very interesting. Looking forward to all the upcoming reports. Thanks Tony for all the hard work giving that PVC cutter a workout.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

9 hours ago, Middler said:

Ouch. I wasn't trying to criticize the ball study in any way, I said I appreciate MGS taking this on and I did not allege it was anything like a Golf Digest puff piece driven by sponsor $. I read MGS daily and I've watched every episode of NPG, but I didn't catch that it was going to come out one ball at a time. I am looking forward to the results however they're rolled out.

Sorry. Wasn't my intent to say you called it a golf .digest piece or were critical.   Just seemed like you were caught off guard that it was just one ball.  

I kinda switched thoughts in the middle of the post.  There were comments about they should have released all the results at once like last year.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Great review, and comments

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 9/2/2020 at 9:55 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

The 22% having some flaw or another is concerning to me as well, as that is basically 1 sleeve per dozen.

I would like to request a MGS-branded pocket X-Ray that I can take into Golf Galaxy. To whom should I place this request?  😏

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

On 9/2/2020 at 6:55 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

My initial thoughts are I'm surprised that there are still so many issues in the quality.  It ranked as a perfectly "average" ball in the premium category.   If paying $45 plus for a ball, I hope for more than average.   The 22% having some flaw or another is concerning to me as well, as that is basically 1 sleeve per dozen.

I totally agree. I am concerned that with all the issues for the release of the CSX ball it is going to be less than average. Curious to see where a some others fall.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

On 9/2/2020 at 10:46 AM, MattF said:

According to Tony replying to a comment or two, Callaway was informed through the test process. It'll be interesting to see if all the manufacturers we in on it or just Callaway.

Wasn't it Callaway and their claims that was the genesis of the MGS ball testing?  Trying to recall here but it seemed like the tests revealed some eyebrow raising findings and that resulted in Callaway making some changes.  Perhaps they did but they have not been able to maintain the gains?  As a premium level ball, one would certainly expect more than "average".  As stated (not verbatim mind you) by the No Putts Given group; "trying to be in today's golf ball market, and be both competitive and profitable, is really challenging - and that none of them would want to venture into this market". 

This testing and information is great.  Wonder what other surprises we'll see?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I think it's interesting to see that Callaway has made some gains and that there is still room for improvement.  Kind of touches on the heart of the concept of the Continuous Improvement philosophy that many businesses count as a fundamental/core value.  While I can't say if Callaway uses this philosophy in their business or not it, would be interesting to be able to periodically re-evaluate Crome Softs and see if they plateau or continue to address their issues.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

12 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Wasn't it Callaway and their claims that was the genesis of the MGS ball testing?  Trying to recall here but it seemed like the tests revealed some eyebrow raising findings and that resulted in Callaway making some changes.

Yes, I believe so and yes.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Just waiting to see the report on the X version: I used to play these before I stumbled across MGS and still find these “feel” the best to me, especially when putting or chipping. I had a$20 discount at golf galaxy and bought a dozen last week. I hit them just as far as tp5, pv1, and Tour BX. If they can clean up their QC issues I’d be right back to gaming these on regular. Especially with the triple track...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV