My Golf Spy Ball Lab Report-Chrome Soft

Our Sponsors

18 minutes ago, Middler said:

I think it's interesting and a good add. But you can't actually use it directly because you can't sort out which are the bad ones - e.g. if one brand has 1 bad ball per dozen and another has 2 bad balls per dozen but the latter is a significantly better True Value, you're still playing 100% more bad balls? What am I missing?

I mean, this assumes that the balls I may be considering all vary in price, which I guess was my bad from the post. I'm considering 3 balls for my bag going forward, Pro V1X, Tour B-XS, and Z-Star XV, maybe a 4th if a DTC brand like Snell or Oncore holds its value well in the test but it has to blow me away because due to lack of availability, for me I can't commit a large amount to something I just have never played or trusted.

The price difference between these balls is a span of what, 8 dollars top to bottom during the season, which is shorter for me being the northeast and with the various deals presented with the buy 3 get 1 and what not, they really average out to similar cost so even factoring in how True Cost is divided, I can't imagine a huge swing here, plus I'm dealing with pretty consistent brands as far as past results and tests go. 

• Like 2

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 18.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

:nickent-small: Pipe

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2019)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My initial thoughts are I'm surprised that there are still so many issues in the quality.  It ranked as a perfectly "average" ball in the premium category.   If paying $45 plus for a ball, I hope for

Ain’t no fan boy like a Callaway fan boy 

They have pretty much been saying all along, this is different than the 2019 Ball Report, that it is gong to be released one ball at a time for the most part.   Most people have no idea the amount of

34 minutes ago, Middler said:

I think it's interesting and a good add. But you can't actually use it directly because you can't sort out which are the bad ones - e.g. if one brand has 1 bad ball per dozen and another has 2 bad balls per dozen but the latter is a significantly better True Value, you're still playing 100% more bad balls? What am I missing?

It's going to be interesting to see how brands/models match up in terms of True Value nonetheless. I only play one ball, hope it fares reasonably well - as it did in 2019.

+1000. I got excited when I read the post, until I realized it was just one ball. Patience, really looking forward to being able to compare all the brands I think I prefer, though the issue above may confuse the issue for me.

They have pretty much been saying all along, this is different than the 2019 Ball Report, that it is gong to be released one ball at a time for the most part.   Most people have no idea the amount of time that they spend on testing these, and then it takes quite a bit of time to take all the information they gained and put it into data that is meaningful, and present it in a way that is consistent and understandable.   

This isn't some Golf Digest ranking based on advertising spend. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

The first Ball Lab report is up on the home page.  The first one out of the box is the Chrome Soft.    Share your thoughts below.

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-2020-callaway-chrome-soft/

Absolutely loved this review/report format. The true ball $$ is a great addition for consumers to factor when researching which ball to try and/or compare among ball brands. Looking forward to more of these reviews.

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

They have pretty much been saying all along, this is different than the 2019 Ball Report, that it is gong to be released one ball at a time for the most part.   Most people have no idea the amount of time that they spend on testing these, and then it takes quite a bit of time to take all the information they gained and put it into data that is meaningful, and present it in a way that is consistent and understandable.   

This isn't some Golf Digest ranking based on advertising spend. 

Ouch. I wasn't trying to criticize the ball study in any way, I said I appreciate MGS taking this on and I did not allege it was anything like a Golf Digest puff piece driven by sponsor $. I read MGS daily and I've watched every episode of NPG, but I didn't catch that it was going to come out one ball at a time. I am looking forward to the results however they're rolled out.

• Like 2
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)
1 hour ago, Middler said:

It'll be interesting to see how the manufacturers react

According to Tony replying to a comment or two, Callaway was informed through the test process. It'll be interesting to see if all the manufacturers we in on it or just Callaway.

• Like 2

In the bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

1 hour ago, KurtActual said:

Callaway didnt become a 2 billion dollar company without people buying their stuff. Unfortunately the majority of golfers are not on MGS. There's a lot of uninformed people out there.

Edit: According to their Q2 investor numbers, they sold $94 million in golf balls in 2020.

Welcome to MGS by the way.

Thanks for the welcome! Been lurking for awhile, figured I'd finally jump in.

I'd have to look at previous years numbers and the next few quarters. I guess I'm the extreme minority, as well as my group because I'm not kidding when I say nobody that I know plays Chrome Softs. I mean even hawking for balls I rarely find them. This year I can honestly say I've found more Snell's than Chrome Softs. 

Maybe people who play Snells suck? 😂 (I'm currently playing them)

• Like 2

*insert WITB here*

57 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Most people have no idea the amount of time that they spend on testing these, and then it takes quite a bit of time to take all the information they gained and put it into data that is meaningful, and present it in a way that is consistent and understandable.

Best thing I ever did was follow Tony on Twitter to get a better understanding of how much goes into all of this. Guy has been slaving away for months in isolation.

• Like 3

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

17 minutes ago, MattF said:

According to Tony replying to a comment or two, Callaway was informed through the test process. It'll be interesting to see if all the manufacturers we in on it or just Callaway.

My understanding is that they were in contact with multiple OEMs throughout the entire process just like they often are with club tests and other products.

• Like 3

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

My understanding is that they were in contact with multiple OEMs throughout the entire process just like they often are with club tests and other products.

Correct. And balls tested were purchased from retail and not obtained from OEMs. This was to avoid any possibility of an oem sending them pre-screened balls off the tour truck 

• Like 5

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X
1 hour ago, TomBomb51 said:

Thanks for the welcome! Been lurking for awhile, figured I'd finally jump in.

I'd have to look at previous years numbers and the next few quarters. I guess I'm the extreme minority, as well as my group because I'm not kidding when I say nobody that I know plays Chrome Softs. I mean even hawking for balls I rarely find them. This year I can honestly say I've found more Snell's than Chrome Softs. 

Maybe people who play Snells suck? 😂 (I'm currently playing them)

Even though Callaway sells millions in golf balls, I find myself in a similar position as you. I dont play them, and the only guy I know that does, plays the neon red ones "cause they look cool."

I've found more Titelist ProV1s than anything else this year.

• :tour-edge: EXS Driver
  • :cobra-small: King F8 3w
  • :titelist-small: 818 H1 Hybrid
  • :nike-small:VR-S Forged 5-PW
  • :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP 56*
  • :wilson_staff_small: Infinite Lake Shore
1 minute ago, jlukes said:

Correct. And balls tested were purchased from retail and not obtained from OEMs. This was to avoid any possibility of an oem sending them pre-screened balls off the tour truck 

I made a comment on the Blog post, but will reiterate it here. I am still concerned/curious about the age of the ball. They found two colored cores in their test. What if they got a box of 2019 balls that predated Callaway's increased QA?

It's not like toothpaste or something where they have batch numbers and we can find out when these were made...

1 minute ago, KurtActual said:

I made a comment on the Blog post, but will reiterate it here. I am still concerned/curious about the age of the ball. They found two colored cores in their test. What if they got a box of 2019 balls that predated Callaway's increased QA?

It's not like toothpaste or something where they have batch numbers and we can find out when these were made...

It was from a 2020 chromesoft box. If callaway disguising 2019 chromesofts as 2020s the there are even bigger issues 

• Like 6

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X
Just now, jlukes said:

It was from a 2020 chromesoft box. If callaway disguising 2019 chromesofts as 2020s the there are even bigger issues 

Ah thanks bud! I interact so little with Callaway products that I didnt even know they had different boxes from 19 to 20.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

Absolutely loved this review/report format. The true ball $$ is a great addition for consumers to factor when researching which ball to try and/or compare among ball brands. Looking forward to more of these reviews.

Agree wholeheartedly. This format, with the graphics and the way they're reporting is very well laid out and easy to read. 

• Like 4

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

56 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Agree wholeheartedly. This format, with the graphics and the way they're reporting is very well laid out and easy to read. 

Totally agree this report had a great layout and tremendous information that I found very interesting. Looking forward to all the upcoming reports. Thanks Tony for all the hard work giving that PVC cutter a workout.

• Like 1

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

9 hours ago, Middler said:

Ouch. I wasn't trying to criticize the ball study in any way, I said I appreciate MGS taking this on and I did not allege it was anything like a Golf Digest puff piece driven by sponsor $. I read MGS daily and I've watched every episode of NPG, but I didn't catch that it was going to come out one ball at a time. I am looking forward to the results however they're rolled out.

Sorry. Wasn't my intent to say you called it a golf .digest piece or were critical.   Just seemed like you were caught off guard that it was just one ball.  

I kinda switched thoughts in the middle of the post.  There were comments about they should have released all the results at once like last year.  

• Like 5

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Great review, and comments

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 9/2/2020 at 9:55 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

The 22% having some flaw or another is concerning to me as well, as that is basically 1 sleeve per dozen.

I would like to request a MGS-branded pocket X-Ray that I can take into Golf Galaxy. To whom should I place this request?  😏

• Like 4

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* loft with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2-hybrid: :taylormade-small: GAPR Lo with stock KBS Hybrid 80g stiff
3i-PW: :ping-small: i210 blue dot, Power Spec, with TT DG S300 hard stepped

50* :vokey-small: SM7 TT DG S200
54*, and 58*: :mizuno-small: blue ion S18 with TT wedge
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*; :taylormade-small:Spider Tour Black

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV (but I'm not just going to leave a perfectly good ProV1/x laying around...)
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review

On 9/2/2020 at 6:55 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

My initial thoughts are I'm surprised that there are still so many issues in the quality.  It ranked as a perfectly "average" ball in the premium category.   If paying $45 plus for a ball, I hope for more than average.   The 22% having some flaw or another is concerning to me as well, as that is basically 1 sleeve per dozen.

I totally agree. I am concerned that with all the issues for the release of the CSX ball it is going to be less than average. Curious to see where a some others fall.

• Like 1

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

On 9/2/2020 at 10:46 AM, MattF said:

Wasn't it Callaway and their claims that was the genesis of the MGS ball testing?  Trying to recall here but it seemed like the tests revealed some eyebrow raising findings and that resulted in Callaway making some changes.  Perhaps they did but they have not been able to maintain the gains?  As a premium level ball, one would certainly expect more than "average".  As stated (not verbatim mind you) by the No Putts Given group; "trying to be in today's golf ball market, and be both competitive and profitable, is really challenging - and that none of them would want to venture into this market". 

This testing and information is great.  Wonder what other surprises we'll see?

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter