Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New Driver or New shaft?

Canuck33

Hi, currently debating keeping my taylormade r11s driver and buying a diamana d+ 70 stiff flex for it or using that money to buy a newer used driver. Just not sure what I would see most benefit from. 

The r11s currently has the stock aldila rip phenom shaft in it and I hate it. Getting too much spin and losing everything right. 

The diamana shaft would cost me €80. So I could put that money toward buying a used M2, 915d etc.

Swing speed a year ago was measured at 98, swings on the smoother side not too aggressive.

Opinions and help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, currently debating keeping my taylormade r11s driver and buying a diamana d+ 70 stiff flex for it or using that money to buy a newer used driver. Just not sure what I would see most benefit from. 
The r11s currently has the stock aldila rip phenom shaft in it and I hate it. Getting too much spin and losing everything right. 
The diamana shaft would cost me €80. So I could put that money toward buying a used M2, 915d etc.
Swing speed a year ago was measured at 98, swings on the smoother side not too aggressive.
Opinions and help would be greatly appreciated!

Why do you think the diamana shaft will work any better?

If you want shaft opinions you need to provide data on angle of attack, actual spin numbers, carry distance, etc. if you want to fix the right miss, fix path and face angle. Your best option is to go try a variety of shafts shaft/heads to see what works best.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Why do you think the diamana shaft will work any better?

If you want shaft opinions you need to provide data on angle of attack, actual spin numbers, carry distance, etc. if you want to fix the right miss, fix path and face angle. Your best option is to go try a variety of shafts shaft/heads to see what works best.

I think it will work better because from what I could read it has similar characteristics to the matrix xcon5 shaft used in the RBZ driver that a friend has. Have hit my friends driver this summer and like the feel of the shaft much better and was able to play a nice fade. 

Would love to be able to give you those numbers but unfortunately I live 5-6 hrs drive from anywhere that i might be able to attain those numbers. But wasnt really looking for shaft opinions, was more wondering if people usually see more benefit from upgrading to a more suited shaft or 3-4 year newer driver head.

Thank you for the feedback 

Its tough to say for sure what will have a bigger affect with out trying out and testing different shafts and heads. The head usually has the biggest affect on launch conditions compared to the shaft, but I second cnosil that the miss you describe feels like a swing issue. I was having a similar issue earlier this year and corrected it with swing changes in my R15.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

It sounds like you need a shaft with a softer tip section but it's nearly impossible to tell without being testing different shafts and actually seeing your swing. You might also keep weight in mind as a 98 mph swing speed could potentially benefit from a slightly lower weight but that is more of a preference issue. You should also potentially consider a regular flex shaft if you have a smooth swing. A cheaper option for a shaft potentially worth looking at is the Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65. This shaft's profile should help fight a slice but it won't fix any swing issues (no shaft will). 

I would suggest going to the local pro shop and hit a few drivers and see how they feel etc. I was a skeptic with regard to the difference they claim the latest tech makes but after hitting the Epic Flash I am no more. Not sure about in the UK but here they have many last gen drivers on special.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

• 3 weeks later...

This might help... TXG did a video on which matters more, the head or the shaft... A lot comes into play on what the answer is, if the R11 was fitted to you in the first place then maybe a new shaft could be helpful, but if you purchased it off the rack and neither the head or the shaft were fitted to you then its really a crap shoot as to weather or not one is going to make more difference than the other.

:ping-small: G410 Plus Driver, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 5 wood, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 3 Iron, Alta CB 70 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-LW Project X LZ 5.5

:scotty-small:   Phantom X 12

:titelist-small: Pro V1x Yellow

:Arccos:

new

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes