Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

GPS vs Rangefinder distances

LeftyHawk

Played a course 3 times over the past few days. On the first time around I was relying on the GPS in the cart for distances. They seemed off as I was sailing over the green, which I don't usually do. On day 2 I started using my rangefinder and was surprised that there was consistently a 20 yard difference, the GPS was giving the yardages 20 yards longer than my rangefinder. And while the GPS seemed to match the painted blocks in the ground for 200, 150 and 100 yards, the blocks along with the GPS were still off by the same 20 yards. Well I abandoned the cart GPS and went strictly with the rangefinder.

I'm going to try to verify the rangefinder in my yard tomorrow by measuring off a specific distance with a tape measure then compare that to the rangefinder. Just seems odd to me that there would be that big of difference between the cart GPS and my rangefinder.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

Played a course 3 times over the past few days. On the first time around I was relying on the GPS in the cart for distances. They seemed off as I was sailing over the green, which I don't usually do. On day 2 I started using my rangefinder and was surprised that there was consistently a 20 yard difference, the GPS was giving the yardages 20 yards longer than my rangefinder. And while the GPS seemed to match the painted blocks in the ground for 200, 150 and 100 yards, the blocks along with the GPS were still off by the same 20 yards. Well I abandoned the cart GPS and went strictly with the rangefinder.
I'm going to try to verify the rangefinder in my yard tomorrow by measuring off a specific distance with a tape measure then compare that to the rangefinder. Just seems odd to me that there would be that big of difference between the cart GPS and my rangefinder.

Chris

Keep in mind a small percentage difference in your yard will be magnified reading a pin - think 1% difference in your yard say 20 yards vs. 1% difference on a 300 yd hole.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

13 hours ago, LeftyHawk said:

Chris

I haven't used many carts with GPS, but on the few occasions I have, I always relied heavily on my rangefinder and would only use the GPS when line of sight was an issue. I'm not sure what would be causing the issue you're experiencing, but my testing with the SkyCaddie SX400 has proven to me that GPS units (slightly less accurate) can be just as reliable as a laser rangefinder.

Perhaps it has something to do with the way your particular course was mapped for the cart GPS?

You've got me curious now, I may have to do some testing for myself next time I'm on a course with cart GPS.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I tested my rangefinder today and it was sopt on. TR1PTIK, I believe you're on to something there with the GPS mapping being off. At any rate at least I know my rangefinder is good and reliable. 

Chris 

Far and Sure......

Depends on what your are using. Alot of GPS is to center of the green and can easily be off my 10 yards. Does your rangefinder have a slope feature as well? That's going to change the actual yardage as well versus GPS. And of course some courses could just be mapped incorrectly. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

1 hour ago, scooterhd2 said:

Depends on what your are using. Alot of GPS is to center of the green and can easily be off my 10 yards. Does your rangefinder have a slope feature as well? That's going to change the actual yardage as well versus GPS. And of course some courses could just be mapped incorrectly. 

The cart GPS would give me front and back of the green. So the first day I was using those yardages, gaging pin placement and was consistently over shooting, something I rarely do.  My Rangefinder does have slope, but that wasn't an issue with the readings. I wouldn't have noticed except for the over shooting the pin which prompted me on the second day to verify the yardage with the rangefinder before hitting the shot. I was quite surprised on the first couple of holes, and even more surprised when the trend continued over the course of the round. I mentioned to the guy in the pro shop, but he didn't seem to care.

Far and Sure......

Are you getting distance to the Pin with finder? GPS is typically front back center, as well as all the yardage markers on the course. 

:mizuno-small: Irons: Mizuno MP53 Stiff/standard 

:mizuno-small: Hybrid: 4I

:ping-small: Driver: Ping G25 9 degree, stiff

:cleveland-small: Wedges: 52, 56, 60

:scotty-cameron-1: Select Roundback 2014

3 hours ago, carfig said:

Are you getting distance to the Pin with finder? GPS is typically front back center, as well as all the yardage markers on the course. 

I always shoot the pin with my rangefinder. The GPS on the cart gives you front and back, but you can also touch the screen to get a yardage to a specific spot, say the pin when needed.  The issue was I would shot the pin that was toward the back of the green, get a reading of 80 yards. The GPS on the cart would give me 100 yards to the same spot on the green. I've never been a fan of GPS units, had them in the past and found them to be most unreliable, my rangefinder has always come thru for me.

Chris

Far and Sure......

i use a Bushnell wingman as a speaker/gps and i play one course around here that has the cart GPS 

while my bushnell is spot on (checked against rangefinders) the cart GPS leaves a lot to be desired. i just think it’s too cost prohibitive for the courses to keep updating that software. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour