TESTERS WANTED! ×

Could the USGA be relocating HQ to NC?

sixcat

https://www.wral.com/lawmakers-back-incentives-to-bring-sports-championship-employer-to-nc/19267486/

Very interesting piece on the news last night. I think the equipment testing center, museum and visitors center are a dead give-a-way!  Besides, what other sport meets all of these criteria with both men's and women's divisions?

• Invests at least $5 million in the state by the end of 2023.
  • Builds at least two buildings totaling no less than 30,000 square feet that are "consistent with the surrounding campus" and house "an equipment testing center for research for advancements pertaining to the business,” as well as a museum and visitors center.
  • Employs, for 10 years, at least 35 new employees and at least 50 people total with salaries that average at least $80,000.
  • Holds championship events in the state with an aggregate benefit of at least $500 million.
  • Holds at least one "men's major professional championship event" every five to seven years and at least one "women's major professional championship event" every 10 years, plus 13 additional championship events.

There was some chatter a while back about the PGA relocating to the Triangle and partnering with one of the universities, but then it all fell apart and they're headed to Texas now. I gotta say, it wouldn't bother me a bit if the USGA wants to set up shop here 🙂

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Yeah. I started hearing of this last year.  Makes sense on a lot of levels.  

FYI, for those that didn’t know it, GolfPride built its new HQ there a year or so ago.   

pretty soon we’ll be calling Pinehurst “The Carlsbad of the East” 🤣🤣 LOL J/K of course. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Are they hiring facilities managers/directors ?! Managing that complex would be a dream come true 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

45 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Are they hiring facilities managers/directors ?! Managing that complex would be a dream come true 

It would wouldn't it.  I suspect when the memo went out to employees asking "who wants to move from NJ to Pinehurst?"  There was an immediate line at HR's door asking how to file moving expenses 😆

25 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

"who wants to move from NJ to Pinehurst?"

It's not too far a drive from Cary to Pinehurst and then they could just live with the rest of the state of New Jersey

C ontainment
A rea for
R elocated
Y ankees

Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)

Tested:

It's not too far a drive from Cary to Pinehurst and then they could just live with the rest of the state of New Jersey
C ontainment
A rea for
R elocated
Y ankees

My niece and her husband live in Cary. I’ve heard them refer to it with that acronym before. They met at Virginia Tech. She is originally from Maryland, he is originally from New Jersey.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

31 minutes ago, greggarner said:

C ontainment
A rea for
R elocated
Y ankees

I lived in Cary for several years---thus the origin of my screen name.   But I came up from the South---Carolina that is, so I was the reverse transient 🙂

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I lived in Cary for several years---thus the origin of my screen name.   But I came up from the South---Carolina that is, so I was the reverse transient 🙂

A rare bird indeed! When asked why we moved from Texas, we say, "for the cool summers" and lemme just tell you how much the Yankee-locals love that answer 😆

Tested:

8 hours ago, greggarner said:

A rare bird indeed! When asked why we moved from Texas, we say, "for the cool summers" and lemme just tell you how much the Yankee-locals love that answer 😆

Yeah, i’ve gone from Tampa, Fl, to Southern CA, to South Carolina,  to NC to Maryland.   I’ve told my family if I go any further North, then they have my permissions to have me committed 😎

9 hours ago, 03trdblack said:

The other side of the discussion:

USGA deal at Pinehurst is cronyism at its worst, experts say

https://www.carolinajournal.com/news-article/usga-deal-at-pinehurst-is-cronyism-at-its-worst-experts-say/

The first sentence reads "it's a beautiful day for golfing...", which leads me to assume the author knows nothing of what she speaks.  Don't need to read anything else! 

The John Locke Foundation is listed as a "right-wing pressure group" by SourceWatch with such noted supporters as the Koch brothers, the Bradley Foundation and Art Pope to name a few.  They have actively fought legislation centered around Renewable Energy, Global Warming, Election Reform and Education Reform.  A large portion of their early financial support came from Big-Tobacco. 

Consume information as you choose.  After all, it's a free country.  I for one, will steer clear of anything being pushed by this organization!

25 minutes ago, sixcat said:

The first sentence reads "it's a beautiful day for golfing...", which leads me to assume the author knows nothing of what she speaks.  Don't need to read anything else! 

The John Locke Foundation is listed as a "right-wing pressure group" by SourceWatch with such noted supporters as the Koch brothers, the Bradley Foundation and Art Pope to name a few.  They have actively fought legislation centered around Renewable Energy, Global Warming, Election Reform and Education Reform.  A large portion of their early financial support came from Big-Tobacco. 

Consume information as you choose.  After all, it's a free country.  I for one, will steer clear of anything being pushed by this organization!

Considering sourcewatch is run by and funded by the complete opposite end of the political spectrum, one could say the same there.  I digress (and suggest we all do).

Whether or not we are supporters of the move, it appears that the USGA is indeed making their way to NC. Is this a good move for golf? 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

9 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Considering sourcewatch is run by and funded by the complete opposite end of the political spectrum, one could say the same there.  I digress (and suggest we all do).

Whether or not we are supporters of the move, it appears that the USGA is indeed making their way to NC. Is this a good move for golf? 

Agreed!  Just trying to point out that the online "journals" are biased with agendas that serve their masters.  Moving on! 

It's difficult for me to wrap my mind around how this could be anything but a net positive for NC.  The jobs at the USGA surely won't be the only jobs created.  Considering the USGA has plans for similar "anchor sites" in other US Open "rota" locations around the country, this isn't going to be the end of the story.  It's clear Pebble Beach, Oakmont and Shinnecock Hills are on the list for future sites.  Given the recent renovations at Oakland Hills to remove the Jones family influence, I suspect they will be another.  Some others I would think to be in the conversation would be Torrey Pines, Whistling Straits, Chambers Bay, Erin Hills, and Winged Foot.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/usga-signals-shift-in-philosophy-for-how-it-will-pick-future-us-open-venues-pinehurst-anchor-site-rota

On 9/11/2020 at 7:15 AM, sixcat said:

The John Locke Foundation is listed as a "right-wing pressure group" by SourceWatch

On 9/11/2020 at 7:35 AM, JohnSmalls said:

Considering sourcewatch is run by and funded by the complete opposite end of the political spectrum, one could say the same there.

I used to work on education policy and it was basically impossible to release anything without JLF jumping in. I will say, they are at least consistent: if it involves the government, they're against it. (JLF is very libertarian. They make Rand Paul look like big-government guy.)

That being said and to @JohnSmalls point - regardless of your political stance on the role of incentivizing business, let's focus on how the game of golf might benefit from this move. In general, if a state government wants you and the local economy is structurally ready to support you (hello, Pinehurst), it seems like this is a win all the way around.

Tested:

2 hours ago, greggarner said:

I used to work on education policy and it was basically impossible to release anything without JLF jumping in. I will say, they are at least consistent: if it involves the government, they're against it. (JLF is very libertarian. They make Rand Paul look like big-government guy.)

That being said and to @JohnSmalls point - regardless of your political stance on the role of incentivizing business, let's focus on how the game of golf might benefit from this move. In general, if a state government wants you and the local economy is structurally ready to support you (hello, Pinehurst), it seems like this is a win all the way around.

Doing my best to leave politics out of this, are there any significant business "relocations" that don't try to find the best tax situations?  The USGA isn't alone in seeking the best situation, North Carolina isn't alone in offering incentives where it feels its worth it in the long run.  The only problem I see is that in the short term property prices in Pinehurst may be pushed up, just as I'm getting set to retire and (perhaps) relocate there.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 9/13/2020 at 5:10 PM, DaveP043 said:

Doing my best to leave politics out of this, are there any significant business "relocations" that don't try to find the best tax situations?  The USGA isn't alone in seeking the best situation, North Carolina isn't alone in offering incentives where it feels its worth it in the long run.  The only problem I see is that in the short term property prices in Pinehurst may be pushed up, just as I'm getting set to retire and (perhaps) relocate there.

Maybe it's time to go work for the USGA?  I would GLADLY move down to Pinehurst to do so.  haha. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"