Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

TM M3 to Cobra SZ

Tanky

Heyo fellow Hackers,

so I recently ''upgraded'' from my M3 to the SZ, I could shape the M3 nicely, but the consistency and distance needed some help. After a Cobra demo day and a proper fitting the SZ gave me less spread and an average of 7 meters extra distance.

Shockingly though, out on the course, with the same swing and setup as I had with my M3 I hit this huuuuuge slice in comparison to my fairly straight hits on the launch monitor. The only key difference I can think of is going from a silverish (M3) face to a very dark silver7 blackish (SZ) Face, which is different to read and messes with my face to path setup.

Other thing I thought was that they just favourably tweaked the trackman at the pro shop to make the club work for me inside?

Anybody else experience this when getting a new boom stick? All I want is my draw back.... 😞

🤙

I think the SZ sets up a little open faced by default. I'm still tweaking between std and draw setting. 

Last week had a couple of slices during a round so my quick fix was closing the face on address to salvage the round.

The next day went to the range to hit a shitload of balls and they all went straight. So I would like to think it was just a couple of bad swings.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Just now, Kanoito said:

I think the SZ sets up a little open faced by default. I'm still tweaking between std and draw setting. 

Last week had a couple of slices during a round so my quick fix was closing the face on address to salvage the round.

The next day went to the range to hit a shitload of balls and they all went straight. So I would like to think it was just a couple of bad swings.

Thats what I thought, I guess I gotta keep tweaking and practicing. Kinda like when you get a new car, confidence is off a bit. Different type of driving! hahaha

🤙

6 minutes ago, Tanky said:

Thats what I thought, I guess I gotta keep tweaking and practicing. Kinda like when you get a new car, confidence is off a bit. Different type of driving! hahaha

But I tend to grip stronger on my driver than the rest of my clubs. That could be making the difference. Keep testing! I love the SZ!

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

I got the SZ Extreme which seems to sit pretty square. Another thing is the loft sleeve has draw settings. Not sure how much they affect the swing but might be just enough to help.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

If you think you might be setting up with the face open. Get a tee and blutac the head of the tee to the centre of your driver. That should give you an idea of where your face is pointing at address.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

Played for the first time in 2 months last week. First 2 drives out of the gate with the SZ were slices. Turned my right hand under a little more and it straightened everything out. Also try the 8 deg draw setting. Works for me.

Retired Army aviator. 2 Vietnam tours flying Hueys.

1 hour ago, John W Sutch said:

Played for the first time in 2 months last week. First 2 drives out of the gate with the SZ were slices. Turned my right hand under a little more and it straightened everything out. Also try the 8 deg draw setting. Works for me.

Yes! This was such an easy and effective fix!

On 9/5/2020 at 4:24 AM, John W Sutch said:

If I turn my right hand under any more, I'll end up dislocating my wrist. 🤪

But the 3 deg draw settings sounds worth trying, even though the lower loft would mean I can't go tiger line anymore. 😕

🤙