Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Scotty Cameron putters sweet spot?

TheZionClub

Tiger woods putter has a single dot on the top line. Supposedly the dot is directly over the sweet spot. Is it true that stock Scotty Cameron putter’s alignment line is not directly behind the sweet spot of the putter?

Alignment Aids

Woods’ Newport 2 has a single dot on the top line that helps him put the sweet spot directly behind the center of the ball. Today’s Studio Newport putters come with a single black alignment line on the back flange.

I've seen an IG post or two from the guy behind Flanigan Bilt Putters that Scotty as well as many other mass producers are guilty of having CoG located all over regardless of where the alignment marker is. It's possible, even likely that this is true simply due to the nature of how mass production works. However, it's unlikely for the average golfer to discern much of a difference or even care because our assumption is always that the "sweet spot" is in the center right? I can tell you based on my personal experience with the SC I own that the alignment marker seems pretty close, and I can definitely tell the difference between heel and toe strikes. Perhaps it is just a feel thing and actual CoG is located elsewhere, but my best rolls come from that spot so that's where I'm going to try and strike the ball everytime.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Yes - No

Am sure more experienced Cameron connoisseurs will chime in, in my experience, if the are they are they are not off by much, I think for the OTR's to be dead on would be an extreme quality control undertaking.

My TEi3 is dead on, my centershafted prototype seems or "feels" to be off by about 1/4 inch or less, towards the toe, my brother-in-law think am on dope and says they are both dead on.

Make sense?

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

My first putter was a bronze Ping Anser reissue with the sound slot and no markings on top.  Sweet spot for the putter was slightly heel side.

Always seem to see the alignment marks dead centre on the putter head.  Always wondered how much the hosel, especially long plumber’s necks, could affect where the sweet spot is.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

Yes - No
Am sure more experienced Cameron connoisseurs will chime in, in my experience, if the are they are they are not off by much, I think for the OTR's to be dead on would be an extreme quality control undertaking.
My TEi3 is dead on, my centershafted prototype seems or "feels" to be off by about 1/4 inch or less, towards the toe, my brother-in-law think am on dope and says they are both dead on.
Make sense?

I’ll tend to side w you on this. 1/4” May seem a bit extreme though. I’ve seen and have putters off maybe 1/8”.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 8:52 AM, TheZionClub said:

I have a Scotty Cameron Monterey putter. The sweet spot seems to be a 1/8 towards the heel, not exactly on the black alignment line. 

sucks! 

I have a Monterey and an older Scotty..both have the sweet spot between 1/8 and 1/16 toward the heel.  Distracting at first, but I have finally gotten used to it.

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter