TESTERS WANTED! ×

Graphite shafts

Haggerty

Hey all,

I know graphite shafts are not the popular option in North America but I am looking to go down that road in my next iron upgrade.  In one of the podcasts I heard Harry saying he went to graphite shafts in his irons and loves it.  I am looking to do the same and I don't need it for club head speed as i average around 112 mph with driver.  Looking to see what everyone thinks and what are the best options out the for graphite iron shafts.

Driver: Callaway Epic MAX LS (10.5º played as 9.5)
3W:  Cobra SZ tour (14º)
3-PW: Mizuno MP-20 HMB
52,56: Cobra MIM 

63 - Wilson Staff Model HT
Putter: EvnRoll ER-6
Ball: Pro V1
Arccos Tracking on all clubs

1 hour ago, Haggerty said:

Hey all,

I know graphite shafts are not the popular option in North America but I am looking to go down that road in my next iron upgrade.  In one of the podcasts I heard Harry saying he went to graphite shafts in his irons and loves it.  I am looking to do the same and I don't need it for club head speed as i average around 112 mph with driver.  Looking to see what everyone thinks and what are the best options out the for graphite iron shafts.

Yes,  Harry has graphite in hit irons and loves them.   There are a lot of options available; just like steel, that are great options.   I try to hit all the ones that are available during testing and I have liked the Mitsubishi  MMT and the Fujikura Pro (Harry and Phillip both play this shaft).   @Popeye64 has provided info about the XCaliber shafts which get good reviews.  Recoils are always popular options as well.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 hours ago, Haggerty said:

Hey all,

... If you are on the fence, Steelfibers are a great choice. Don't really feel like steel and don't really feel like graphite but somewhere in-between. They also play about 1/2-1 full flex stouter depending on your swing style. As cnosil already said lots of great choices out there, Recoils are popular with 95 and 110 weights available and unlike Steelfibers they have a soft and dampened feel many love while some find too different than steel. I am currently playing Kuro Kage Tini 105's and have been playing graphite in my irons for close to 20 years and would never go back to steel. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Graphite iron shafts have really come into their own these past few years. With the shafts out today the dispersion argument is out the window.
Graphite shafts are just as good as steel. Aside from being lighter and naturally being able to create more speed they can also give superior feel. Plus as we are all getting older our joints benefit from the natural shock absorption.
A year from now I won't have to talk about the Rapid Taper iron shafts as I believe the performance they bring will have them on everyone's wish list.
Some of the shafts that have embraced the hybrid blend of steel and graphite in one form or another have gotten all the press these days. It allows the guys dead set on steel to have something they can still hold onto yet play graphite.
With the companies spending a lot of R&D on iron shafts these days the graphite shafts are only going to get better.
Anyone who says they cannot play graphite has just not been properly fit.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

A lot of options to pick from.  I like to think of it in the older lines of the DG camp vs Braly camp (Rifle/KBS Tour).  If you like DG, Steelfibers are a great fit, they profile very much like DG, with a slightly stiffer bottom section.  If you like KBS Tours, the retail version of Recoil shafts may be a good fit.

And, if you like Project X, I would guess the new Catalyst would be a good choice.

No idea how Recoil Protos fit in my limited model.  Sam, you've hit them, right?  Thoughts? (Edit to tag Brother @chisag)

If you're not shy about spending for your shafts, the MMT shafts are getting rave reviews.  Similarly with the Fuji Pro Tour Spec shafts, a year or two ago.  Recoil Protos have been around longer and aren't the flavor of the month anymore, but appear to still be popular.  

In the vein of personal experience....  I tested the Recoil 125 a few years ago (retail), found it hit the ball higher than I cared for (high trajectory player, or I used to be).  Wound up going with the NV105 in one of my sets, which is rather like a lighter version of DG, and quite lovely. I've also hit the Steelfiber 125 in a wedge, rather like it, in its limited use so far.

I also tested the XCaliber Tour X, which I thought promising, but while I procrastinated, they vanished from market.  Their performance have me intrigued by the Rapid Taper shafts that Brother Popeye has mentioned, and raved about.

Sorry for the length.  And for being kind of all over the place, like Nuke Laloosh in Bull Durham...  😉

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Now that I've TLDR'd everyone to a comatose state, I'll say that I'm very intrigued by the options available, and also would love to see the responses.  I get occasional elbow issues, and I'm not getting any younger (57 in a few weeks), I feel it's inevitable.  Better to stay a little ahead of it instead of being late to the party.

I *do* wish there were a couple more options in the heavier weight classes.  I also realize I'm in a niche of a niche of a niche, so I'm not holding my breath.  🙂

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

I’m pretty sure  Brandt Snedeker plays Steelfibers in his irons. Like everyone has said, lots of good options out there. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

22 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

I’m pretty sure  Brandt Snedeker plays Steelfibers in his irons. Like everyone has said, lots of good options out there. 

Snedeker and Kuchar appear to have moved away from Steelfiber, though could have moved back again (hard to track the movement sometimes), but I've seen Mr Couples using them quite a bit lately. 

A few others as well, but not such that names have stuck with me.  Damn aging.

Edited by NRJyzr

A lot of options to pick from.  I like to think of it in the older lines of the DG camp vs Braly camp (Rifle/KBS Tour).  If you like DG, Steelfibers are a great fit, they profile very much like DG, with a slightly stiffer bottom section.  If you like KBS Tours, the retail version of Recoil shafts may be a good fit.
And, if you like Project X, I would guess the new Catalyst would be a good choice.
No idea how Recoil Protos fit in my limited model.  Sam, you've hit them, right?  Thoughts? (Edit to tag Brother [mention=291]chisag[/mention])
If you're not shy about spending for your shafts, the MMT shafts are getting rave reviews.  Similarly with the Fuji Pro Tour Spec shafts, a year or two ago.  Recoil Protos have been around longer and aren't the flavor of the month anymore, but appear to still be popular.  
In the vein of personal experience....  I tested the Recoil 125 a few years ago (retail), found it hit the ball higher than I cared for (high trajectory player, or I used to be).  Wound up going with the NV105 in one of my sets, which is rather like a lighter version of DG, and quite lovely. I've also hit the Steelfiber 125 in a wedge, rather like it, in its limited use so far.
I also tested the XCaliber Tour X, which I thought promising, but while I procrastinated, they vanished from market.  Their performance have me intrigued by the Rapid Taper shafts that Brother Popeye has mentioned, and raved about.
Sorry for the length.  And for being kind of all over the place, like Nuke Laloosh in Bull Durham...  

Nice write up. As I am approaching 55 and have recently started having elbow pain I have been researching graphite shafts and trying to hit as many as possible. I really like your DG vs KBS comparison. Being that I am in the KBS camp I will put the recoils on my priority list to try.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

51 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

No idea how Recoil Protos fit in my limited model.  Sam, you've hit them, right?  Thoughts? (Edit to tag Brother @chisag)

... Recoil Prototypes and Kuro Kage Tini 105's are my favorite graphite iron shafts. The Prototypes are about 1/2 flex stronger than regular Recoils so I play mine in R-Flex with no soft stepping which I do the regular recoils and KK Tiki's in S-Flex. The Proto's have a slightly stiffer tip and lower torque which makes them feel a little tighter but not stouter, and I have found feel combined with accuracy to be the best I have played. That said I could play Aldila NV-105's or VS-100's and the regular Recoils and be pretty content. I also play regular Recoil 110's in my wedges. I have not hit the MMT shafts but imagine if they are an updated version of the KK Tini's I can see why they are getting such excellent buzz. 

A close friend of mine is getting fitted for irons on Sunday after years of my prodding. He hits the ball high, straight and short (for a 37 year old 2 handicap; 150 club is between 6-7 iron and driver carries ~230). He is pretty slight and has had some shoulder issues so I think graphite might be a good option - which of these would you recommend he try out that might keep the flight down? 

He is a bit of a headcase and has always been an off the rack player without putting any thought into shafts (his last 3 sets have had, in order; KBS tour 90, C-Taper 120, DG 105). He has some of the best hands/short game I've ever seen and is straight as an arrow off the tee. I'm pretty confident with a properly fit iron set he could be scratch or better.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

4 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

A close friend of mine is getting fitted for irons on Sunday after years of my prodding. He hits the ball high, straight and short (for a 37 year old 2 handicap; 150 club is between 6-7 iron and driver carries ~230). He is pretty slight and has had some shoulder issues so I think graphite might be a good option - which of these would you recommend he try out that might keep the flight down? 

He is a bit of a headcase and has always been an off the rack player without putting any thought into shafts (his last 3 sets have had, in order; KBS tour 90, C-Taper 120, DG 105). He has some of the best hands/short game I've ever seen and is straight as an arrow off the tee. I'm pretty confident with a properly fit iron set he could be scratch or better.

I'd look towards Steelfiber, and if he's slight of build, maybe the i95; it's almost a dead ringer for DG.  Such as my limited knowledge/experience plays.

If they were still available, I'd suggest NV105, but they're largely gone.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Nice write up. As I am approaching 55 and have recently started having elbow pain I have been researching graphite shafts and trying to hit as many as possible. I really like your DG vs KBS comparison. Being that I am in the KBS camp I will put the recoils on my priority list to try.

I forgot about one option....  Aerotech has a new Steelfiber FC, which is a softer tipped and apparently higher launch model, as compared to the "regular" Steelfibers.

Could also be worth a look.

27 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

... Shafts are just really tricky. Feel is subjective and trajectory/spin can very depending on swing style and AOA. There are generalities that apply to most but you will always find some saying they didn't find the shaft to play like advertised. When you are spending big $ for a graphite iron shaft, I am just reluctant to recommend anything. I hate to be that guy, but without having demoed any graphite iron shafts to get a baseline like "I have hit Recoils and thought they were a little soft/stiff feeling and produced a low/mid/high trajectory" it is best to get fitted. Of course some of us love the trial and error of trying most everything out there, but your friend does not sound like a shaft ho. 🤪

41 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Shafts are just really tricky. Feel is subjective and trajectory/spin can very depending on swing style and AOA. There are generalities that apply to most but you will always find some saying they didn't find the shaft to play like advertised. When you are spending big $ for a graphite iron shaft, I am just reluctant to recommend anything. I hate to be that guy, but without having demoed any graphite iron shafts to get a baseline like "I have hit Recoils and thought they were a little soft/stiff feeling and produced a low/mid/high trajectory" it is best to get fitted. Of course some of us love the trial and error of trying most everything out there, but your friend does not sound like a shaft ho. 🤪

Thanks, that makes sense. Hopefully the fitter can expand his thinking - but I think when he hears the word graphite he is going to recoil* LOL

I'm going to at least mention steelfibers as a start (thanks @NRJyzr). It has the word steel right there in the name, so maybe he'll be more receptive?!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

5 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

Thanks, that makes sense. Hopefully the fitter can expand his thinking - but I think when he hears the word graphite he is going to recoil* LOL

I'm going to at least mention steelfibers as a start (thanks @NRJyzr). It has the word steel right there in the name, so maybe he'll be more receptive?!

... I think it is quite telling that so many on the LPGA Tour with swings in the 95-105 range play Steelfiber in their irons since their swings more resemble most of us than those on the PGA Tour. On the upper end of that Ari Jutanugarn and Nelly Korda have been playing Steelfibers for as long as I can remember. 

Im nowhere close to a shaft-ho, but I stayed at a Holiday inn last night... oh wait...

Anyhoo. I had steel fibers 110 stiff, in a set of AP2 irons which I loved. And now have Recoil F4 stiff in my Hogans which I absolutely love. Had elbow surgery 5-6 years ago, and it fixed my endless elbow pain enough to hit steel shafts for a few years after the steel fibers. But, at 64 years old I decided I needed to make the move, and went with the Recoils. Couldn't be happier, and in case you're wondering, I wasn't "fit", but I had a really good idea of what I needed...

But bottom line is I love my graphite shafts, and they are deadly accurate.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I am relatively young (36), but my right elbow consistently bothers me. Think I will consider graphite shafts when I buy my next iron set. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I turned 40 in March and I'm just getting back into playing more after not playing much for the last 7-8 years (not coincidentally, our oldest of two daughters turned 7 in May). I don't have a high swing speed, and at 40, I doubt it's going to get much higher (I think it may increase a bit as I continue to take lessons, practice, and what not, but not something I am counting on). Anyway, I just did an iron fitting and got fit in the standard Mavrik with Tensei Silver graphite shafts.

I ordered them on 9/4 and they just came in yesterday. So, I've only been able to hit them a couple of times indoors, but part of the reason that I was fit into them was because they're lighter than steel, but the shaft dynamics worked really well with my swing.

I'm really looking forward to using them, as the numbers compared to my Cobra F9s with the KBS Tour 90 Regular Flex shafts were quite a bit better. Picked up some club head speed, some ball speed, and the trajectory, descent angle, and dispersion were all better than with the Cobras. And in the two session I've been able to hit them thus far indoor off the mats, I have noticed that I've had no elbow or other joint pains after the session. I never had serious pain after hitting off mats with the Cobras, but there were times I noticed some soreness in my elbows that would last for a few hours. Haven't had a hint of that so far.

I'm by no means egotistical and I just want to have irons I can hit the ball consistently with, get my distances, and make the game as easy and fun as possible. So, my guess is that I will likely never go back to steel shafts - even though the graphite shafts are almost always more expensive than similar steel counterparts, the benefits of graphite, for me, seem like they will prevail in the long run.

As for what might work well for you, I don't have that answer, other than to know that there are plenty of options on the heavier and stiffer end of the spectrum to suit most everyone's needs.