TESTERS WANTED! ×

LASIK impact on golf

Cory O

Hey all,

after 30+ years of glasses and contacts, I’m getting LASIK done this Friday. I’m curious if any of you out there felt like there was anything different in your golf game after the procedure. I don’t expect anything dramatic, positive or negative, but just curious if there were any subtle differences. Thanks!

2024 is the year of the short set!

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 11.5* stiff

Hybrid: PXG 0311 GEN5 19*

Irons: JustGolf Forged Blades (4, 6, 8, PW)

Wedge: 56* Forged Prototype

Putter: PXG Blackjack Center Shaft 34"

Bag: Sunday Golf Loma XL

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

People I know that have had LASIK are very happy about it, but none of them play golf.  Having played with glasses for years, I know what that's like, so hopefully you will have a great experience afterwards.

I've worn contact lenses since before I started golfing, so I've golfed almost exclusively wearing them. Problem for this week is that I need to keep contacts out for 5 days before the surgery, so the choice is either put down the sticks for the week or golf in my glasses. Guess I'll be golfing in my glasses. 😃

Just now, Cory O said:

I've worn contact lenses since before I started golfing, so I've golfed almost exclusively wearing them. Problem for this week is that I need to keep contacts out for 5 days before the surgery, so the choice is either put down the sticks for the week or golf in my glasses. Guess I'll be golfing in my glasses. 😃

I tried contacts many years ago, but during the summer I have allergies; dry itchy eyes.  Couldn't get them out one day, so I gave up on them.  I only needed glasses for distance while driving, and I could play golf without them.  When you hit the ball as short as I do, glasses aren't necessary.  😆

Good luck on your rounds!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

55 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I tried contacts many years ago, but during the summer I have allergies; dry itchy eyes.  Couldn't get them out one day, so I gave up on them.  I only needed glasses for distance while driving, and I could play golf without them.  When you hit the ball as short as I do, glasses aren't necessary.  😆

Good luck on your rounds!

Without contacts or glasses, I couldn't see the ball 5 feet in front of me lol

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I've developed astigmatism over the years and have to wear glasses. I've tried a couple of different contact brands, but can't ever seem to get past about 6-8 hours with them before my eyes have had too much - by which point I struggle to see well even after switching back to glasses. I've been leaning heavily toward LASIK and have wondered the same thing. I hate having to wear glasses - I hate the way they look on me, I hate every time they get dirty or I drip sweat onto the lenses from playing golf. I used to wear sunglasses regularly so you'd think I wouldn't be bothered by it so much, but if my sunglasses got dirty or something, I could just take them off and still be able to see! 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I'll be sure to report back after with my results and opinions. Couple of things right off, I'm doing just about the highest end surgery available with one of the top clinics in LA. Mostly because I have to because of how bad my eyes are, but also because I'm not really sure I'd trust those places that advertise around $1000 per eye. So my procedure is completely bladeless, will be finished in just a few minutes and (I'm told) I'll have fairly normal function the next day. All in, I'm looking at $3600, so definitely not cheap, but if I can wake up every morning for the next 15ish years (at a minimum) and be able to see, I'll consider it well worth that price.

27 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Without contacts or glasses, I couldn't see the ball 5 feet in front of me lol

Same here, worn glasses since I was 4 years old and contacts since I was 12. I don't meet many people with worse eyes than mine.

I'll be curious how you feel after. I never played with glasses until a few years ago, and I HATE it. I'm convinced it's not helping my golf game (repeatable contact), but I don't know if it would make a real difference to get LASIK or not. I'm sure there have been some bad outcomes, but I've never known anyone personally who wasn't thrilled with their outcome. Still on the fence...

This sounds reassuring though (includes Tiger)  https://shapirolaser.com/professional-golfers-who-have-had-lasik-laser-vision-correction-eye-surgery/

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Got LASIK 14 years ago. Such a world change to no longer need glasses. More depth perception. Never could get contacts to work for me. Best money I’ve spent. 

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

I had Lasik in 2006 and it is simply amazing.I found it easier to judge distances and everything is so much clearer. Only thing you will need is good pair of sun glasses. The best thing I found was when you go swimming in the surf,  you can actually see the waves clearly before they hit you. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

2 hours ago, Middler said:

I'll be curious how you feel after. I never played with glasses until a few years ago, and I HATE it. I'm convinced it's not helping my golf game (repeatable contact), but I don't know if it would make a real difference to get LASIK or not. I'm sure there have been some bad outcomes, but I've never known anyone personally who wasn't thrilled with their outcome. Still on the fence...

This sounds reassuring though (includes Tiger)  https://shapirolaser.com/professional-golfers-who-have-had-lasik-laser-vision-correction-eye-surgery/

You hardly feel anything, mine felt a little gritty when I woke up but were fine within a few hours. They put like Vaseline in your eyes after the op and you have to go back the next day to get a check up and they remove it. However the amazing thing is that you can see perfectly when you wake up. You have to wear little triangles over your eye when you sleep for a week to stop you from accidentally rubbing them. Best thing I ever did back in 2006.

My wife had Lasik 20-ish years ago, and is doing fabulous. My eye doctor recommended against it for me. I have strongly curved eyes with bad astigmatism, and he said the results are not often good. My older sister has the same eyes as me (thanks, mom!), and her doctor also advised against it, but she had it done last year, and now regrets it. Therefore, my recommendation is to get an opinion from a doctor who doesn't do the surgery before making a decision. Either way, best of luck!

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

1 hour ago, Firebird said:

I had Lasik in 2006 and it is simply amazing.I found it easier to judge distances and everything is so much clearer. Only thing you will need is good pair of sun glasses. The best thing I found was when you go swimming in the surf,  you can actually see the waves clearly before they hit you. 

Rut row (for me). I don’t think I can play golf with sunglasses, never could when I had 20/15 vision or since. LASIK might be a no go for me. I’d rather play golf with glasses than risk giving up golf after LASIK.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

Thanks for the input everyone. I played today in glasses (might be the first time I’ve played a full round in them, at least as far back as I can remember) and the whole time things just felt off. Encouraged to hear the positive results from a few of you and I’ll report back after the surgery.

I had this done 15 or more years ago. I had it on Wednesday and played golf on Thursday morning. They biggest impact it had on my game was I had to wear wrap-around sunglasses. But “had to” was only the next day. I went from 20/400 vision to 20/10 vision. Or however that should be written. I could see at 20’ what normal people could see at 400. Now, as of June when I was last tested, I can see 20’ what others see at 10. Although I do have trouble reading. Gives me a headache. I have spent $7.50 a couple of times on some of the finest glasses money can buy in the check out lane at Walmart and that solved that problem.

No problems at all. But it is scarier than you think. I was not prepared for the sounds and smells. The first sound is like cutting an onion. Then they flip the lens back and everything is blurry. Then you hear the laser moving and you smell something burning. And you think “holy $#!t that’s my eye!!!!” Then they put a drop of superglue on you eye and flip the lens back and it’s over. Pay the lady on the way out.

Although it probably wasn’t superglue, because if it was I would have had a surgical glove stuck to my eye. 🤣

I believe I did have some difficulty seeing the ball flight at first. I remember on the second hole I didn’t see it at all, but also remember I could see it on hole 11, and no, it wasn’t because the ball never left the tee box. 🤣

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

LASIK was such an awesome investment for my overall quality of life.

I no longer need to worry about contacts/glasses and can just wake up and go with my day.

As to my golf game, it has helped me accurately track how far out of bounds my ball travels. Overall, I am a better judge of distances, can see undulations in the green more accurately, and have an overall better experience on the course. I never have to worry about losing a contact, or having it dry out.

The only "side effect" I have is that my eyes are more sensitive to light than in the past, so I wear sunglasses for almost every round, even if it is cloudy or grey.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

13 minutes ago, palvord said:

As to my golf game, it has helped me accurately track how far out of bounds my ball travels.

That's essential. 😃 

I am also thinking about getting lasik .. I wear contacts not and use eye drops if they are dry/itchy and been workings for the last 10 years but lasik sounds nice

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

I had Lasik done close to 20 years ago. The best thing I ever did. Word to the wise. Schedule a late afternoon appointment. After you are done go home and go to sleep when you wake up the next morning everything will be perfect. I actually shed a few tears the next morning. Saw things I never saw before with such clarity.  I said to my wife "did you know the trees on the mountain actually have leaves on them!" 

If you don't go to sleep it will feel like you have sand in your eyes. I talked my sister in law into getting the procedure. She called up screaming at me because her eyes felt like they had sand in them. I asked her if she went right to sleep like I told her and she said no she wanted to read a book without glasses for the first time. I told her to go to sleep and call me the next day. Well the next day I returned to being her favorite brother in law. 

I do not wear sunglasses while playing golf but I do wear a hat to keep the sun out of my eyes and to keep the top of my head from burning!  Playing in sunglasses just doesn't work for me. My vision was at 20/15 once corrected and it lasted about 10 years and slipped a little. I wear contacts again +1.0 now but legally I don't need to, but I want to see the ball 250 yards away. To get another correction you need to be 20/40. 

Follow doctors orders! Keep your contacts out for at least 5 days. This allows the shape of your eye to go back to normal and your correction to be perfect. Each eye only takes about 10 seconds once the laser starts. Then go home and GO TO SLEEP!  Have I stressed that enough in this post.

Good luck

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

13 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I had Lasik done close to 20 years ago. The best thing I ever did. Word to the wise. Schedule a late afternoon appointment. After you are done go home and go to sleep when you wake up the next morning everything will be perfect. I actually shed a few tears the next morning. Saw things I never saw before with such clarity.  I said to my wife "did you know the trees on the mountain actually have leaves on them!" 

If you don't go to sleep it will feel like you have sand in your eyes. I talked my sister in law into getting the procedure. She called up screaming at me because her eyes felt like they had sand in them. I asked her if she went right to sleep like I told her and she said no she wanted to read a book without glasses for the first time. I told her to go to sleep and call me the next day. Well the next day I returned to being her favorite brother in law. 

I do not wear sunglasses while playing golf but I do wear a hat to keep the sun out of my eyes and to keep the top of my head from burning!  Playing in sunglasses just doesn't work for me. My vision was at 20/15 once corrected and it lasted about 10 years and slipped a little. I wear contacts again +1.0 now but legally I don't need to, but I want to see the ball 250 yards away. To get another correction you need to be 20/40. 

Follow doctors orders! Keep your contacts out for at least 5 days. This allows the shape of your eye to go back to normal and your correction to be perfect. Each eye only takes about 10 seconds once the laser starts. Then go home and GO TO SLEEP!  Have I stressed that enough in this post.

Good luck

Thanks for the input! My appointment is in the afternoon, so not quite sleep right after I get home time, but can lay down with eyes closed definitely. Supposedly the newest generation of lasers they're using now helps prevent some of "burning sand" feeling, but good advice none the less. I always golf in a hat and will experiment with sunglasses or not (always wore them when I was younger, but then stopped for some reason).

I had mine done around 20 years ago and it was probably the best thing I've done.  Quality of life improved by not having to worry about glasses or contacts.  Golf vision improved as others have noted due to much better depth perception and distance vision.  At first I had to wear sun glasses but a couple years later I adjusted to golfing without them.  Only place I really have a problem on the golf course is in the bunkers, the sun reflecting off of the white sand is really tough.  So goal is to stay out of the traps.🤣   One thing I've heard of some people doing is having one eye set up for close vision and one for distance.  That would really be bad for golf since depth perception will be off.  Overall it's worth it for sure, just get a great surgeon and get it done.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

22 hours ago, Middler said:

Rut row (for me). I don’t think I can play golf with sunglasses, never could when I had 20/15 vision or since. LASIK might be a no go for me. I’d rather play golf with glasses than risk giving up golf after LASIK.

But you wear glasses now, do they not have a tint. I only mentioned it as when I wore glasses I needed them tinted on sunny days. I have know issues not playing with sunnies on, in fact because it is mandatory to wear mask even playing golf, the last 10+ rounds I played I could not wear them as they fogged up.

Like several others have said, I had Lasik done on both eyes around 15 to 18 years ago. I have one eye tweaked twice since then to be able to read fine print. it's the best money you can spend, you life will change!

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

I have had a combination near sightedness- astigmatism all my life. Few years ago I was 20/650 in right eye and 20/450 in left.
I then developed a catarac and had the most powerful astigmatism lens implant along with cornea 'slits" done. Wow! I used to not be able to recognize my own wife if she got more than 6 feet away. They were able to get me to 20/30 in both eyes. I still wear glasses since I need them to read and I have worn them over 70 years. But I can drive and play golf with out them. Love it!

Murv

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Good luck

This part is essential!! I had an early morning appointment.

Fortunately, my doctor prescribed me shots of tequila and then sleep the rest of the day. I followed doctors orders. Worked quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

22 hours ago, Firebird said:

But you wear glasses now, do they not have a tint. I only mentioned it as when I wore glasses I needed them tinted on sunny days. I have know issues not playing with sunnies on, in fact because it is mandatory to wear mask even playing golf, the last 10+ rounds I played I could not wear them as they fogged up.

I’ve never been able to wear any kind of tinted glasses playing golf, I’ve tried more than once, I know it would be better for my eyes. My depth perception seems to disappear with tinted lenses. So if wearing sunglasses is required or strongly recommended after LASIK, there’s no reason for me to proceed as I was doing it primarily for golf. Wearing glasses for any other activity doesn’t bother me.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
1 hour ago, Middler said:

I’ve never been able to wear any kind of tinted glasses playing golf, I’ve tried more than once, I know it would be better for my eyes. My depth perception seems to disappear with tinted lenses. So if wearing sunglasses is required or strongly recommended after LASIK, there’s no reason for me to proceed as I was doing it primarily for golf. Wearing glasses for any other activity doesn’t bother me.

No, they are not necessary,  as I said I can play with or without them. However it does give you options you currently do not have with regard to sunnies. For example Oakley make a lens specially for golf. A friend has a similar issue to you and they found that these were brilliant. I wear Costa Del Mar Mirror Green Copper lens and they are superb. 

Surgery done yesterday and I feel great today. Any eye irritation is probably more about the smokey air around today than anything else. Decided to go ahead and make a tee time for today. Got my sunglasses and drops, so I think it’ll work out just fine. Thanks for all the comments and for anyone on the fence, my initial advice is just do it.

On 9/13/2020 at 1:11 AM, Cory O said:

Surgery done yesterday and I feel great today. Any eye irritation is probably more about the smokey air around today than anything else. Decided to go ahead and make a tee time for today. Got my sunglasses and drops, so I think it’ll work out just fine. Thanks for all the comments and for anyone on the fence, my initial advice is just do it.

Fantastic, let us know how you find it.