LASIK impact on golf

Our Sponsors

13 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I had Lasik done close to 20 years ago. The best thing I ever did. Word to the wise. Schedule a late afternoon appointment. After you are done go home and go to sleep when you wake up the next morning everything will be perfect. I actually shed a few tears the next morning. Saw things I never saw before with such clarity.  I said to my wife "did you know the trees on the mountain actually have leaves on them!" 

If you don't go to sleep it will feel like you have sand in your eyes. I talked my sister in law into getting the procedure. She called up screaming at me because her eyes felt like they had sand in them. I asked her if she went right to sleep like I told her and she said no she wanted to read a book without glasses for the first time. I told her to go to sleep and call me the next day. Well the next day I returned to being her favorite brother in law. 

I do not wear sunglasses while playing golf but I do wear a hat to keep the sun out of my eyes and to keep the top of my head from burning!  Playing in sunglasses just doesn't work for me. My vision was at 20/15 once corrected and it lasted about 10 years and slipped a little. I wear contacts again +1.0 now but legally I don't need to, but I want to see the ball 250 yards away. To get another correction you need to be 20/40. 

Follow doctors orders! Keep your contacts out for at least 5 days. This allows the shape of your eye to go back to normal and your correction to be perfect. Each eye only takes about 10 seconds once the laser starts. Then go home and GO TO SLEEP!  Have I stressed that enough in this post.

Good luck

Thanks for the input! My appointment is in the afternoon, so not quite sleep right after I get home time, but can lay down with eyes closed definitely. Supposedly the newest generation of lasers they're using now helps prevent some of "burning sand" feeling, but good advice none the less. I always golf in a hat and will experiment with sunglasses or not (always wore them when I was younger, but then stopped for some reason).

• Like 1

Driver: Honma TW747 460 VIZARD 50 S-flex
3 wood: GigaGolf TRX 15*  Grafalloy Pursuit M2T S-flex
Hybrids: GigaGolf TRX 18* and 22* UST HDX 70 S-flex
Irons: GigaGolf TRX PowerSlot 5-PW UST HDX 80 S-flex
Wedges: GigaGolf TRX 6.0 50*, 55*, 60* Dynamic Gold S-flex
Putter: Ray Cook M1 (2020) 34”

“Golf is a good walk enhanced”

I had mine done around 20 years ago and it was probably the best thing I've done.  Quality of life improved by not having to worry about glasses or contacts.  Golf vision improved as others have noted due to much better depth perception and distance vision.  At first I had to wear sun glasses but a couple years later I adjusted to golfing without them.  Only place I really have a problem on the golf course is in the bunkers, the sun reflecting off of the white sand is really tough.  So goal is to stay out of the traps.🤣   One thing I've heard of some people doing is having one eye set up for close vision and one for distance.  That would really be bad for golf since depth perception will be off.  Overall it's worth it for sure, just get a great surgeon and get it done.  

TM M4  or TS2

EPIC 15*

Titleist 816 H1 19 & 24*

Titleist T200 5-GW

Vokey SM8  54

Vokey SM8 58

PXG Operator H 

22 hours ago, Middler said:

Rut row (for me). I don’t think I can play golf with sunglasses, never could when I had 20/15 vision or since. LASIK might be a no go for me. I’d rather play golf with glasses than risk giving up golf after LASIK.

But you wear glasses now, do they not have a tint. I only mentioned it as when I wore glasses I needed them tinted on sunny days. I have know issues not playing with sunnies on, in fact because it is mandatory to wear mask even playing golf, the last 10+ rounds I played I could not wear them as they fogged up.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

Like several others have said, I had Lasik done on both eyes around 15 to 18 years ago. I have one eye tweaked twice since then to be able to read fine print. it's the best money you can spend, you life will change!

• Like 1

I have had a combination near sightedness- astigmatism all my life. Few years ago I was 20/650 in right eye and 20/450 in left.
I then developed a catarac and had the most powerful astigmatism lens implant along with cornea 'slits" done. Wow! I used to not be able to recognize my own wife if she got more than 6 feet away. They were able to get me to 20/30 in both eyes. I still wear glasses since I need them to read and I have worn them over 70 years. But I can drive and play golf with out them. Love it!

Murv

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4
I had Lasik done close to 20 years ago. The best thing I ever did. Word to the wise. Schedule a late afternoon appointment. After you are done go home and go to sleep when you wake up the next morning everything will be perfect. I actually shed a few tears the next morning. Saw things I never saw before with such clarity.  I said to my wife "did you know the trees on the mountain actually have leaves on them!" 
If you don't go to sleep it will feel like you have sand in your eyes. I talked my sister in law into getting the procedure. She called up screaming at me because her eyes felt like they had sand in them. I asked her if she went right to sleep like I told her and she said no she wanted to read a book without glasses for the first time. I told her to go to sleep and call me the next day. Well the next day I returned to being her favorite brother in law. 
I do not wear sunglasses while playing golf but I do wear a hat to keep the sun out of my eyes and to keep the top of my head from burning!  Playing in sunglasses just doesn't work for me. My vision was at 20/15 once corrected and it lasted about 10 years and slipped a little. I wear contacts again +1.0 now but legally I don't need to, but I want to see the ball 250 yards away. To get another correction you need to be 20/40. 
Follow doctors orders! Keep your contacts out for at least 5 days. This allows the shape of your eye to go back to normal and your correction to be perfect. Each eye only takes about 10 seconds once the laser starts. Then go home and GO TO SLEEP!  Have I stressed that enough in this post.
Good luck

This part is essential!! I had an early morning appointment.

Fortunately, my doctor prescribed me shots of tequila and then sleep the rest of the day. I followed doctors orders. Worked quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH - Aldila Synergy Blue 50 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        :taylormade-small: TP5x

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

22 hours ago, Firebird said:

But you wear glasses now, do they not have a tint. I only mentioned it as when I wore glasses I needed them tinted on sunny days. I have know issues not playing with sunnies on, in fact because it is mandatory to wear mask even playing golf, the last 10+ rounds I played I could not wear them as they fogged up.

I’ve never been able to wear any kind of tinted glasses playing golf, I’ve tried more than once, I know it would be better for my eyes. My depth perception seems to disappear with tinted lenses. So if wearing sunglasses is required or strongly recommended after LASIK, there’s no reason for me to proceed as I was doing it primarily for golf. Wearing glasses for any other activity doesn’t bother me.

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)
1 hour ago, Middler said:

I’ve never been able to wear any kind of tinted glasses playing golf, I’ve tried more than once, I know it would be better for my eyes. My depth perception seems to disappear with tinted lenses. So if wearing sunglasses is required or strongly recommended after LASIK, there’s no reason for me to proceed as I was doing it primarily for golf. Wearing glasses for any other activity doesn’t bother me.

No, they are not necessary,  as I said I can play with or without them. However it does give you options you currently do not have with regard to sunnies. For example Oakley make a lens specially for golf. A friend has a similar issue to you and they found that these were brilliant. I wear Costa Del Mar Mirror Green Copper lens and they are superb. 

• Like 1

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

Surgery done yesterday and I feel great today. Any eye irritation is probably more about the smokey air around today than anything else. Decided to go ahead and make a tee time for today. Got my sunglasses and drops, so I think it’ll work out just fine. Thanks for all the comments and for anyone on the fence, my initial advice is just do it.

• Like 3

On 9/13/2020 at 1:11 AM, Cory O said:

Surgery done yesterday and I feel great today. Any eye irritation is probably more about the smokey air around today than anything else. Decided to go ahead and make a tee time for today. Got my sunglasses and drops, so I think it’ll work out just fine. Thanks for all the comments and for anyone on the fence, my initial advice is just do it.

Fantastic, let us know how you find it.

4 hours ago, Firebird said:

Fantastic, let us know how you find it.

Played Saturday and Sunday and (despite the smokey conditions around LA) had no issues whatsoever. Haven't used the numbing drops since the day of the surgery, only the steroid and antibiotic ones, and the eyes only have mild occasional dryness. After wearing contact lenses for over 20 years, I think my brain just doesn't get it yet that I'm not wearing contacts, there's nothing to take out, and these are just my eyes now.

In the follow-up tests the day after the surgery, I was seeing pretty much 20/20 and the doctor says things can continue to improve a bit over the next couple of weeks. That's good, because if I don't start magically seeing the perfect putting line on each green, I'm going to ask for a refund 😉 . Side note: I am wearing wrap-around sunglasses out on the course now. Picked up these guys on Amazon for less than $20
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B018RZNQ3M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Some type of coating on the lens that really makes the matte orange ball I play pop, so no problems at all tracking the ball in the air or finding it after. Came with a nice hard clip case too. I'd recommend them if anyone just wants a cheap pair to keep on the golf bag.

• Like 1

Glad to hear everything went well.

• Like 1

Driver, Ping G400 11* SR Flex

3 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 17*  R Flex

5 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 19* R Flex

Hybrid, Cobra Amp 24* R Flex

Irons, Sub 70 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

Wedges, Cleveland CBX 56* & 60*

Putter, Odyssey Marksman Fang 35"

After wearing contact lenses for over 20 years, I think my brain just doesn't get it yet that I'm not wearing contacts, there's nothing to take out, and these are just my eyes now.

Sometimes I reach up and rub my eyes and think “Oh $4!t, my contacts!” only to remember I haven’t worn them In 15-20 years. Not often but it happened a few months ago in the shower.

Glad it worked out for you.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update, two weeks post surgery and everything is pretty much perfect. Seeing a bit better than 20/20, no irritation, night driving issues, or anything like that. I can't say for sure, but I FEEL like I'm tracking the ball better in the air than I did before and while my scores haven't dropped 5 shots or anything, I'd say the quality of life is up. I'm still reaching for my glasses every morning when I wake up, but I'm pretty sure that will go on for years.

If anyone in the future comes across this thread looking for an answer for themselves, getting the surgery done definitely has my strong recommendation.

• Like 3

On 9/26/2020 at 2:07 PM, Cory O said:

Just to update, two weeks post surgery and everything is pretty much perfect. Seeing a bit better than 20/20, no irritation, night driving issues, or anything like that. I can't say for sure, but I FEEL like I'm tracking the ball better in the air than I did before and while my scores haven't dropped 5 shots or anything, I'd say the quality of life is up. I'm still reaching for my glasses every morning when I wake up, but I'm pretty sure that will go on for years.

If anyone in the future comes across this thread looking for an answer for themselves, getting the surgery done definitely has my strong recommendation.

Late to this discussion but yes such a great improvement on quality of life. No need to switch between prescription sunglasses and regular glasses. i also do a lot of offshore overnight fishing and the head of a fishing boat is not the most sterile environment for contacts. And @Tom the Golf Nut i remember the first time i looked at the san bernardino mountains where I live after my surgery and seeing little trees dotting the tops of the mountains!

• Like 1

Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue SZ Evenflow 6.0 Stiff

Hybrids: :callaway-small: XR Project X Stiff (3&4)

Irons : :callaway-small: Mavrik True Temper Elevate 95 Stiff Steel (5-PW,AW)

Wedges : Bombtech 52,56,60

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : Datrek lightweight cart bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Rangefinder : TecTecTec DXLS

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 15.1