TESTERS WANTED! ×

Club Fitting Cost and Results

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Not just different 6i or 7i brand/model iron heads but all of the lofts within a set?  I mean I wouldn't expect to have the fitter switching between a bunch during the downselect, but once you get the choice down to a few make/models, I would definitely want to hit a 4i and 9i.  That makes so much sense and would increase my confidence in making a purchase!

I've not had an iron fitting @ CC, but I just did a wedge fit last week and I hit 6 different brands, 46 -60 degree in each with various grinds..

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

On 10/17/2020 at 10:05 PM, fixyurdivot said:

So they have modular components on all the iron heads?  

21 hours ago, DevilDog29 said:

Yes they do.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I don't think I understand what you mean. I've never seen a fitter that has the ability to hit all of the irons in a set with any shaft you want. If you go to a PGASS, you can get dialed in on the head from the fitting cart with a shaft, but then if you want to hit a 4i in that combo you are out of luck unless it is the stock option that they happen to have sitting on the shelf. 

18 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

I don't think I understand what you mean. I've never seen a fitter that has the ability to hit all of the irons in a set with any shaft you want. If you go to a PGASS, you can get dialed in on the head from the fitting cart with a shaft, but then if you want to hit a 4i in that combo you are out of luck unless it is the stock option that they happen to have sitting on the shelf. 

When I replied I misunderstood his statement. CC only uses a 6 iron for testing, they have a modular connector for all of their shafts/ heads. Hitting all of the irons in the set is not an option at most places. CC does offer a 90 day guarantee on their product. This will be the time to go out and verify if the clubs you were fit for are what you are wanting. 

• Driver-:titelist-small: TSi 3 9*( Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 65)
  • 3W- :cobra-small:Cobra Speedzone (Oban Isawa Red 04 Stiff 75) 14*
  • 3H-:cobra-small: Speedzone (UST Recoil 480 ESX (F4)
  • 5-A-:mizuno-small: Mizuno JPX Hot Metal Pro (Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff) 22*-50*
  • 56*-:taylormade-small: MG3
  • 60*-:vokey-small: SM8
  • Putter-:taylormade-small: Spider GT 35"
  • Ball- ProV1X :titelist-small: or :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS
  • Range Finder- Bushnell Tour V4 Jolt Shift With Slope Patriot Pack
  • Bags-:titelist-small: Camo Players 4 Plus Stand Bag or :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 in red, white, and blue
  • Spikes-:nike-small:,:footjoy-small:,:cobra-small:

19 minutes ago, DevilDog29 said:

When I replied I misunderstood his statement. CC only uses a 6 iron for testing, they have a modular connector for all of their shafts/ heads. Hitting all of the irons in the set is not an option at most places. CC does offer a 90 day guarantee on their product. This will be the time to go out and verify if the clubs you were fit for are what you are wanting. 

That makes more sense.

I've never done a CC fitting, but from what I have read their 90 guarantee isn't as useful as it would seem.  They are basically saying that you will get similar results with your set compared to what you saw when you did the fitting. Which of course you should since they are supposed to be building you the same thing. Unfortunately, that guarantee doesn't do you any good if decide that you don't like the 4 or 5 irons or 9i, Pw, etc that you didn't hit. This goes for both standard sets and especially for mixed sets. That players distance 6i may be OK, but the 4 & 5 may not be forgiving enough. Curious what they would do in that situation.

18 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

That makes more sense.

I've never done a CC fitting, but from what I have read their 90 guarantee isn't as useful as it would seem.  They are basically saying that you will get similar results with your set compared to what you saw when you did the fitting. Which of course you should since they are supposed to be building you the same thing. Unfortunately, that guarantee doesn't do you any good if decide that you don't like the 4 or 5 irons or 9i, Pw, etc that you didn't hit. This goes for both standard sets and especially for mixed sets. That players distance 6i may be OK, but the 4 & 5 may not be forgiving enough. Curious what they would do in that situation.

I like my odds that I will be able to strike the fitted clubs better than a non fitted off the shelf set. I'm not familiar with a place that fits you for all of the clubs in a bag, if there are shesh they must have a ton of space or very limited options. I do think this will partially fall on the golfer in a sense. If you go into a fitting knowing you struggle getting a 3,4,5 iron off the deck or control issues, SAY IT! The fitter then will have some other options to put you into, a more forgiving iron, hybrid, etc. At some point the equipment will always be limited at helping the golfer... It isn't the clubs fault we're a bunch of hacks 🤣

Edited by DevilDog29
Spelling correction
  • 5-A-:mizuno-small: Mizuno JPX Hot Metal Pro (Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff) 22*-50*
  • Bags-:titelist-small: Camo Players 4 Plus Stand Bag or :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 in red, white, and blue

On 10/17/2020 at 10:42 AM, Micah T said:

I’ve used CC for driver, putter, and wedge fittings: I’m extremely satisfied with all 3. My irons were fit at PGATSS and just like@Thin2win mentioned, I could hit all the clubs in the set, and did. I still think the relationship you have with the fitter makes all the difference, just like with an instructor. My PGATSS fitting was good because I was taking lessons there and my instructor told the fitter what direction to go in. My CC fittings were good since my fitter and I play similarly and he knew what results/shot shape I was looking for.

Were you fit for every club in a set or just able to hit all of the clubs in the set? 

Edited by DevilDog29

Were you fit for every club in a set or just able to hit all of the clubs in the set? 
No not every club: I was able to hit 4, 7, & PW: PGATSS has a device they have you swing and it recommends a shaft flex: for me it was 5.5 project X. They happened to have that at the store for me to hit, and when I bought them it didn’t occur to me that I would want to try different shafts. I think in hindsight I would’ve gone stiffer: I’ve replaced my 7 iron with a project x 6.0, and I like the height and dispersion more.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

@DevilDog29 - I'm glad you had a good experience with your fitting.

My last fitting was at the Richmond, VA Club Champion.  I wanted to use a local fitter, but I only had a few days to get my fitting done before I needed to turn in my specs for the Wilson D7 Forged testing.  

The experience was excellent, but I chalk that up to the fitter (Mason Wolf) as much as the technology.

Mine was a bit of an odd fitting for him:  we were testing only one head (the Wilson D7 Forged), and we could only choose from the no-upcharge shafts.  But he did a great job fitting me, and I was thrilled with the choice of shaft (Recoil 110).

I paid the full price of $150 for the fitting, and it was worth it to get the right shaft in the clubs for the testing.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 10/19/2020 at 11:22 AM, ChitownM2 said:

I thought that might be the case... unfortunately.  Perhaps someday they have kiosks with modular everything... wouldn't that be the bees knees?

I checked with TrueSpec and they base iron fittings on a 6i.  However, if you buy a set from them with the fitted specs. they have you back for a free yardage gap fitting and tune the rest of the set as required to optimize.  I really like this and that is excellent value 👍.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

13 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I thought that might be the case... unfortunately.  Perhaps someday they have kiosks with modular everything... wouldn't that be the bees knees?

I checked with TrueSpec and they base iron fittings on a 6i.  However, if you buy a set from them with the fitted specs. they have you back for a free yardage gap fitting and tune the rest of the set as required to optimize.  I really like this and that is excellent value 👍.

I received an email yesterday from CC stating that since I have paid for a fitting I will receive the following perks:

• Discounted or free next fitting (excluding full bag)
  • 3 free 1 hour bay sessions (must be used in a year)
  • free grip installation (grips have to be bought at CC)
  • Free loft and lie adjustments
  • receive discounts on balls purchased in store

This seems pretty comparable to TruSpec. 

16 minutes ago, DevilDog29 said:

I received an email yesterday from CC stating that since I have paid for a fitting I will receive the following perks:

• Discounted or free next fitting (excluding full bag)
  • 3 free 1 hour bay sessions (must be used in a year)
  • free grip installation (grips have to be bought at CC)
  • Free loft and lie adjustments
  • receive discounts on balls purchased in store

This seems pretty comparable to TruSpec. 

yeah got the same thing and then COVID hit and shut them down for a while so I still never used the 3 free 1 hour bay sessions .. actually haven't used any of the perks there 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Just now, Nolan220 said:

yeah got the same thing and then COVID hit and shut them down for a while so I still never used the 3 free 1 hour bay sessions .. actually haven't used any of the perks there 

The only perks I think I would use is the bay sessions and loft/ lie adjustments. This to me is still a nice gesture and I'm sure will bring many people back, like myself. 

Just now, DevilDog29 said:

The only perks I think I would use is the bay sessions and loft/ lie adjustments. This to me is still a nice gesture and I'm sure will bring many people back, like myself. 

yeah my plan was to use it for the bad weather days and I kept in contact with my fitter and he was saying they can order you any brand of golf balls you want .. The in NJ that I went too only had like couple different types of ball and still get the discount on them .. Only negative I had was couple of days later my 9i club head comes off .. so I bring it back the fitter is really sorry and puts it back on for free, no big deal it happens. Now that was in Jan/Feb .. so last week I get done playing and my 8i head is coming off and 5i is loose ... I again talk to the fitter and he said to bring them in but now I am kind of like should I just do it myself ... must of been bad epoxy or something. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

I've been fit at Club Champion twice... With 4 years and a bunch of golf lessons in between.

I loved the experience and learned a lot in the process. I like that I can take my specs and go elsewhere to get them built. This allows me to buy the pieces and have a high quality builder put it together for much much less than CC charges. It also allows me to bypass the "Puring" expense that they push.

You can't beat the desk they usually have in December and January. Full bag fitting is great... Especially if you can spread it out over a couple of sessions.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

32 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

yeah my plan was to use it for the bad weather days and I kept in contact with my fitter and he was saying they can order you any brand of golf balls you want .. The in NJ that I went too only had like couple different types of ball and still get the discount on them .. Only negative I had was couple of days later my 9i club head comes off .. so I bring it back the fitter is really sorry and puts it back on for free, no big deal it happens. Now that was in Jan/Feb .. so last week I get done playing and my 8i head is coming off and 5i is loose ... I again talk to the fitter and he said to bring them in but now I am kind of like should I just do it myself ... must of been bad epoxy or something. 

Oh wow! I think I'd bring my entire bag down at that point. 3 out of 7 irons were defective... something has to be wrong with the epoxy. 

1 minute ago, DevilDog29 said:

Oh wow! I think I'd bring my entire bag down at that point. 3 out of 7 irons were defective... something has to be wrong with the epoxy. 

yeah I haven't had a chance to go down yet but prob a good idea to get them all checked out

yeah I haven't had a chance to go down yet but prob a good idea to get them all checked out

After the coin you put up to get fitted and built it’s the least they can do. When you do go down I’d like to hear what they say.

1 minute ago, DevilDog29 said:

After the coin you put up to get fitted and built it’s the least they can do. When you do go down I’d like to hear what they say.

I will keep you updated ! 

I just went back to CC last week to get a wedge fitting: ended up ordering a different shaft for my 48 and a brand new 52: so I’ve been 3 times this year and am going back for a 3 wood fitting next month. The trackman sessions are a nice perk, as are loft/lie adjustments and re-gripping. As much as I enjoy my fitter and his knowledge, I might get fit at a golf course when the Titleist fitter is there for my irons. I’m thinking I want a combo set and I don’t know how I’d get there if I can only hit a 6 or 7...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

20 minutes ago, Micah T said:

I just went back to CC last week to get a wedge fitting: ended up ordering a different shaft for my 48 and a brand new 52: so I’ve been 3 times this year and am going back for a 3 wood fitting next month. The trackman sessions are a nice perk, as are loft/lie adjustments and re-gripping. As much as I enjoy my fitter and his knowledge, I might get fit at a golf course when the Titleist fitter is there for my irons. I’m thinking I want a combo set and I don’t know how I’d get there if I can only hit a 6 or 7...

I think this is a wise decision. Getting a second opinion and getting into what you like seems reasonable. 

What type of combo set are you trying to get into? Forgiveness at the top? 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update: 

Everything has come in except my Cobra Speedzone 3W head. I took a look at the Cobra page and the 3W are on backorder. I'm on week 2 of waiting and man am I ready to get these in already! 

Update:

I reached out to club champion and they were able to assemble my irons. Now I'm hoping they come in before I have my next round scheduled for this weekend. 

I think this is a wise decision. Getting a second opinion and getting into what you like seems reasonable. 
What type of combo set are you trying to get into? Forgiveness at the top? 

Yes: I hit my AP3 4 &5 well, and while I want blades for 6 - PW I don’t want to give up the distance and forgiveness in those long irons. So maybe a T100s/T200 combo? But I might even go for T300 or T400 in the 4 & 5. But all jet black: I just can’t get over how good those black irons look...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, 

Here is the link to my WITB, still waiting for the new 3W but I am thrilled to at least have some of my new set! Let me know what you all think. 

Edited by DevilDog29

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 9:31 AM, Chip Strokes said:

$67/shaft is steep, wow 

Remove, clean, buy new shaft, cut new shaft, re weight, and install. Done right, takes 20-30 minutes per club. When you look at it that way, $67 actually sounds reasonable.

These shops are selling their time and knowledge. Proper education of a clubfitter is a years long process. All of this figures into the cost of the work. CC is considered boutique, so they are somewhat higher than the independent fitter. Not sure on the specifics of their business model either, but stocking all those shafts and constantly getting the latest is REALLY expensive. And let's not even consider the $15k launch monitor they have in each bay. So, yeah, it an expensive endeavour.

The best thing a potential customer can do is:

1. Make sure your swing is where it needs to be. If you are currently working with a pro to change it, DON'T GET FITTED TILL YOU'RE DONE!

2. Communicate with the fitter and make sure he realizes that you want the clubs to feel right as well as work for you. I see many come from fittings saying they just don't feel right. That should NEVER happen.

3. Make sure there is a fine tuning option so that you can return after trying them on the course and needing some tweaking.

A clubfitter's reputation is their biggest asset. They want it to be right every time.

BT