Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Buyers guide on grips?

Tsecor

Has there been an article done on grips?  Maybe i missed it during my search.

side note I just received my t100-S clubs and three of the grips are old, grey and slippery. was shocked when i received these from Titleist.

Golf is cool

side note : I just received my t100-S clubs and three of the grips are old, grey and slippery. was shocked when i received these from Titleist.

Haven’t seen an official MGS review on grips.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

side note : I just received my t100-S clubs and three of the grips are old, grey and slippery. was shocked when i received these from Titleist.

There are a few threads here on grips - but no official testing. I would imagine the testing protocol would be difficult to come up with since they're such a personal choice. As an FYI, I've used Winn and Lamkin but my overall preference is GP MCC+4. As a disclaimer, I've also used other GP grips, but the +4s always won out.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

8 hours ago, Tsecor said:

side note I just received my t100-S clubs and three of the grips are old, grey and slippery. was shocked when i received these from Titleist.

In my opinion if you received new clubs with bad grips from Titleist, you should contact them. Personally, I would want the same grips on all of my clubs.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

If you follow the WITB forum you will see a lot of favorite grips in there. 

Size is individual

Firmness is a preference

Material is a feel thing

Shape is player determined by factors of dominant hand and feel and preference. 

I would guess Golf Pride, Lamkin, and Winn are the top 3 with pretty much anything they offer being adequate and reliable. 

The Tour Velvet by Golf Pride tapered shape seems to be timeless and the grip all others are compared to. 

The weight of the grip does change the static swing weight but, there is controversy over the lack of change in the MOI of a club because MOI is measured differently. 

The Winn Dri-Tac don't feel as durable to me but, people I know who play them say they are great if you play without a glove. 

I play Golf Pride Tour Velvet Midsize in my irons.

My woods have Golf Pride CP2 wrap midsize

My wedges have Lamkin Crossline Midsize (equivalent to Tour Velvet)

And then there is Dechambeu with his Jumbo Max grips to allow a straight shaft angle. 

And then there is Bubba with tons of extra wraps on his driver. 

And then there is back weighting...

Endless options. 

My opinion is that buying from the big 3 will give you good performance for at least 2-3 years.

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

17 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

There are a few threads here on grips - but no official testing. I would imagine the testing protocol would be difficult to come up with since they're such a personal choice. As an FYI, I've used Winn and Lamkin but my overall preference is GP MCC+4. As a disclaimer, I've also used other GP grips, but the +4s always won out.

I use the MCC+4 on my driver and hybrids and love them for those applications.  On my irons, i always use the standard GP Tour Velvet. Maybe ill try the TV +4.....

Golf is cool

10 hours ago, GaDawg said:

In my opinion if you received new clubs with bad grips from Titleist, you should contact them. Personally, I would want the same grips on all of my clubs.

i did contact them and they are sending 2 new grips, but what a pain. its easier just to go to the pro shopn and get new ones installed for 10 bucks.

irons have all the same grips

Golf is cool

6 hours ago, Buffly said:

If you follow the WITB forum you will see a lot of favorite grips in there. 

Size is individual

Firmness is a preference

Material is a feel thing

Shape is player determined by factors of dominant hand and feel and preference. 

I would guess Golf Pride, Lamkin, and Winn are the top 3 with pretty much anything they offer being adequate and reliable. 

The Tour Velvet by Golf Pride tapered shape seems to be timeless and the grip all others are compared to. 

The weight of the grip does change the static swing weight but, there is controversy over the lack of change in the MOI of a club because MOI is measured differently. 

The Winn Dri-Tac don't feel as durable to me but, people I know who play them say they are great if you play without a glove. 

I play Golf Pride Tour Velvet Midsize in my irons.

My woods have Golf Pride CP2 wrap midsize

My wedges have Lamkin Crossline Midsize (equivalent to Tour Velvet)

And then there is Dechambeu with his Jumbo Max grips to allow a straight shaft angle. 

And then there is Bubba with tons of extra wraps on his driver. 

And then there is back weighting...

Endless options. 

My opinion is that buying from the big 3 will give you good performance for at least 2-3 years.

Agree. GP tour velvet are the best for my irons as well. best all around grip for me.  What size hand do you have" mine is 8' and i always struggle with the perfect grip width

Golf is cool

My iron set came with Lamkin Crossline's and I've enjoyed them so far. Tried GP MCC, GP Aligns, and GP Tour Velvet as well, but based on price and comfort the Lamkins are winning for me. Now Putter grips are c ompleteyl different beast, however I have loved my GP Pro Only in a couple sizes and have really enjoyed them.

Like others have said, those, it's all personal preference.

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

Not a fan of Winn, since all their spongy grips wear out too soon.

MCC+4 are great as no upcharge option when buying a new set, but I probably wouldn't pick them to regrip a set, since they are pretty expensive.

Just tried the Lamkin Crossline for the first time on my Cobra SZ driver and I like it. These might be my next choice to regrip.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I’ll 2nd that.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I've tried Golf Pride, Lamkin & Winn. 

Will no longer use Winn Grips, as Kanoito said above they are spongy & found they get slippery. Also changed the weight of irons & feel of club.  

Tour Velvets, whether Golf Pride or Lamkin also get slippery when wet, especially in FL heat! So I keep going back to Golf Pride Tour Wraps (Jumbo) and GP MCC+4 Med in my wedges. Tour Wraps seem to keep their tackiness, even when they get a bit worn. Weight of the GP Tour Wrap is approx 78 grams, which gives me a better feel for my irons. 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

11 hours ago, Tsecor said:

i did contact them and they are sending 2 new grips, but what a pain. its easier just to go to the pro shopn and get new ones installed for 10 bucks.

irons have all the same grips

I understand your frustration, but I don't give people a pass!

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

On 9/8/2020 at 1:58 PM, tony@CIC said:

Agreed, but I think its just like shoes, gloves...all very personal...but there are many aspects of Softness, firmness, grip when wet or sweaty.....the GP web site walks you through 5 questions before suggesting a grip....i think it would be easy to come up with a protocol since the categories may be limited somewhat.....call in the testers to hit 100 shots with each grip to see what they like....#mostwanted

Golf is cool

call in the testers to hit 100 shots with each grip to see what they like....#mostwanted

That’s a lot of shots per grip; we don’t hit that many for any individual club. And we don’t evaluate performance for anything we test; our input is just informational.

I would suggest following the same type of protocol that we follow for everything. Single club model, different grip on each, and then hit about 20 shots per grip. But with the number of grips and grip sizes you are probably talking 15+ sessions which would take about 2 months to get through. Probably not enough time to get through unless it was a quick turnaround lab test. No real offseason to do the test; even though the testers aren’t doing any testing, the staff is doing the prep work for the next years tests.

It would be interesting to do and j can see all the comments to the article....why didn’t you test x, you really need to test 3 wraps instead of 4, how big was each testers hand, can you do a breakdown by swingspeed, etc.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

That’s a lot of shots per grip; we don’t hit that many for any individual club. And we don’t evaluate performance for anything we test; our input is just informational.

I would suggest following the same type of protocol that we follow for everything. Single club model, different grip on each, and then hit about 20 shots per grip. But with the number of grips and grip sizes you are probably talking 15+ sessions which would take about 2 months to get through. Probably not enough time to get through unless it was a quick turnaround lab test. No real offseason to do the test; even though the testers aren’t doing any testing, the staff is doing the prep work for the next years tests.

It would be interesting to do and j can see all the comments to the article....why didn’t you test x, you really need to test 3 wraps instead of 4, how big was each testers hand, can you do a breakdown by swingspeed, etc. emoji23.png

Another issue specific to grips, at least for those of us who don't change clubs frequently, is durability.  To evaluate that appropriately would mean trying to get hundreds or even thousands of swings on each grip.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Another issue specific to grips, at least for those of us who don't change clubs frequently, is durability.  To evaluate that appropriately would mean trying to get hundreds or even thousands of swings on each grip.  

We could also get into things like Playing with or without a glove and humidity/rain

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Thats would be side test since you change your grips when they get worn anyway...it could be about comfort, playability and performance

you can test durability other ways

Golf is cool

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

It would be interesting to do and j can see all the comments to the article....why didn’t you test x, you really need to test 3 wraps instead of 4, how big was each testers hand, can you do a breakdown by swingspeed, etc. emoji23.png

I could definitely see the fanbase asking a million questions.....that would drive me nuts as a content provider....lol....

Golf is cool

43 minutes ago, cnosil said:

We could also get into things like Playing with or without a glove and humidity/rain

I mentioned sweat and rain....that would be easy though...spray bottle like yuou do with testing balls on the wedges. 

I say you go for it.....come on...1 fan is asking for it...isnt that enough??  lol

Golf is cool

Now I'm seeing a TXG YouTube video on the impact of playing with worn out grips in my head. Hearing Ian's voice: "We know, Matty, that your average gooolfer might not change their grips as often as they shoooold."

2024 is the year of the short set!

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 11.5* stiff

Hybrid: PXG 0311 GEN5 19*

Irons: JustGolf Forged Blades (4, 6, 8, PW)

Wedge: 56* Forged Prototype

Putter: PXG Blackjack Center Shaft 34"

Bag: Sunday Golf Loma XL

If you like the idea of experimenting with grips I use PURE DTX and wasn't sure on the size of them so I bought one each of a standard size and midsize. The Pure grips go on nice and easy with an Air compressor and they come off just as easily as well so what I did was put the midsize on my 7 iron and the standard one on my 8 iron and took them both to the range to see which I prefered. From there I" ended up going with the midsize and they have plenty without a glove and with a fresh glove its like you put superglue on your hands.

Driver:  :titleist-small: TSR3 8°, set to A1, Graphite Design UB 7X 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small:SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 8S

2 Utility: :srixon-small: ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  :srixon-small:ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°: :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60° :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :L.A.B.: Mezz1 Max

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

:Sub70: Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

:Nippon: Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

:vokey-small:Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

:srixon-small:Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

:titleist-small: Unofficial TSR3 Review

Definitely needs to be a buyer's guide on grips because it can make or break a set of clubs. TXG's video talking about different grip sizes is a must watch on this topic. FWIW, I play Midsize MCC+4's for comfort level and it keeps my hands from getting "flippy." 

:titelist-small: TSr3 8* w/ Ventus Black 6X

:titelist-small: TSr3 15* w/ Ventus Black 7X

:ping-small: iCrossover 18* w/ Ventus Black 9X

:titelist-small: T100S 4 Iron - PW w/ Ventus Axiom 125X

:vokey-small: SM9 50 F-grind / 54 F-grind / 58 V-grind w/ True Temper Gold Onyx Tour S400

:scotty-cameron-1: Circle T Newport 35 Inch

:titelist-small: Pro V1

Vessel Player III DXR Stand Bag