TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Golf Spy Ball Lab Report-ProV 1

Golfspy_CG2

43 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I don't see any "junk" in there. That selection is far heavily weighted towards higher end for sure, but it is nice to see some mid-tier included.

There's a couple of 2-pc balls in there that would certainly classify as being low-end for a lot of golfers, but those same balls are also daily drivers for a lot people as well. I don't think we'll see the likes of a Wilson Fli, Top Flite XL, or Pinnacle anything to truly classify as junk, but I wouldn't say it's skewed heavily toward high-end either. The study seems to cover the meat of the bell curve as well as a few outliers that either pose a strong value proposition or have generated serious intrigue within the golf community.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

On 9/9/2020 at 10:09 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

The ball lab report for ProV 1 is on the home page, here is a link to it.   As expected the ProV1 scored very well in every category across the board.

Share your thoughts below! 

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-2019-titleist-pro-v1/

Very good report, really enjoy reading the breakdown and seeing what is inside of those golf balls.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

On 9/9/2020 at 11:47 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

at a minimum 4 bucks a ball losing one of these hurts. 

I'll stick with the more affordable Srixons. 

If there are 3 brands I "trust" for consistency that seem to 'own' the process from beginning to end it would be Titleist, Bridgestone and Srixon.

Snipped from the 2019 ball report....

There’s quite a bit of difference when it comes to who makes what and where. I may have covered this before, but since I happened to see this comment pop-up.

Titleist and Bridgestone differ from the rest of the industry in that they make their own rubber/synthetic rubber. Apart from the rawest of materials, they own the product from end to end.
USA consumers may care that both have factories in the US.
Srixon has similar capabilities in its factory in Indonesia.
Callaway has a factory in Massachusetts where it makes some of its balls (including Chrome Soft), but to the best of my knowledge, it does not make its own rubber.
TaylorMade has a factory in the USA, however, its balls are made overseas with the US-based factory’s function limited to putting the covers on the balls.
To the best of my knowledge, nobody else owns the factory where their balls are produced.

I've been gaming the 2020 Top Flite Gamer and my index is down to 6.6 with it.  Never been lower.  Even the caddies at Baltusrol laughed at it.  I won't hold my breath for the ball lab testing on this ball.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I am anxious to see all the balls like everyone else but choosing the Callway CS and the Titleist Pro V1 seem like a good place to start. The CS to address whether they've improved their quality, and it appears they have though they admit they're not done yet - so some redemption for Callaway? And the Pro V1 because it seems to be the pinnacle/benchmark by which all better balls are judged. I'd play nothing but the Pro V1 if they weren't $48/dozen. I'm anxious to see how the True Price of the Snell MTB works out as I've played nothing but for three years, fingers crossed...

I play new balls almost exclusively. But three of the best players I play (noticeably better than I am) with use nothing but found tour balls. When/if they run low, they just go looking (not while playing) and they know where on the course balls are most easily found. One of them will walk the left side of #11 (there's a ravine so no one  looks while playing there) and put the ones he wants in a bag and throw everything else he finds up on the fairway for someone else to pick up. Played with two of them yesterday and they shot 70 and 74 respectively - neither of them would ever consider buying balls...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

3 hours ago, Middler said:

I'm anxious to see how the True Price of the Snell MTB works out as I've played nothing but for three years, fingers crossed...

I'm very intrigued to see the results of all the DTC brands. I really did like Vice when I used to play it. I liked Snell too, but for whatever reason the Vice just feels a bit more comparable to my Bridgestone XS and other balls I've preferred over the years. I'd certainly be willing to give both another try if they fair well in the ball lab.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

21 hours ago, B.Boston said:

It was one golfballs.com was running a month or so ago. Not valid anymore. But it did work on them!

Got the AlignXL customization on them. Adjustments.jpg

The more I see of that driver... the more I want to just buy one... must resist until I can get fitted.

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

The more I see of that driver... the more I want to just buy one... must resist until I can get fitted.

you SHOULD want one!  The infinity face is legit, and it really does help with the occasional sky ball from marking it up too.

But yes... it's worth the wait to get fit!  I'm not so patiently waiting for a shipping notification on a Ventus shaft for it.  Hopefully I'll be able to get a few rounds in with that to compare to the Tensei Pro White.  The Ventus is just so dang good in the 5-wood I had to see if it will tighten things up for me a bit.  Admittedly... my dispersion is probably more Indian than Arrow... While I have played a lot this summer, I only have a range session or two since #CCC4 kicked off.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 minute ago, B.Boston said:

you SHOULD want one!  The infinity face is legit, and it really does help with the occasional sky ball from marking it up too.

But yes... it's worth the wait to get fit!  I'm not so patiently waiting for a shipping notification on a Ventus shaft for it.  Hopefully I'll be able to get a few rounds in with that to compare to the Tensei Pro White.  The Ventus is just so dang good in the 5-wood I had to see if it will tighten things up for me a bit.  Admittedly... my dispersion is probably more Indian than Arrow... While I have played a lot this summer, I only have a range session or two since #CCC4 kicked off.

I saw Duff say he was getting some good numbers with the new Cobra gear... wonder what the Super Snake will do.  and to tie it in to the topic, I bet the V1 would fly like a 67 Shelby Cobra... 

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

I saw Duff say he was getting some good numbers with the new Cobra gear... wonder what the Super Snake will do.  and to tie it in to the topic, I bet the V1 would fly like a 67 Shelby Cobra... 

Oh the V1 flys. Like the good old spring board diving boards

image.gif.a5c55503c62b4c992eb44ba0394d8831.gif

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I switched from TP5X to Titleist Pro V1X mainly due to the ball test last year. Nothing has knocked it out of my bag. Knowing that the consistency of construction is there is worth it to me to have made the switch for that one reason.

I really look forward to Snell.... They seem to be the “premium” ball in the DTC group. Really curious about them...

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

10 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

+1 to this.

Add in @TR1PTIK analogy to electrical circuits and that's what I'm looking for.

I don't need or want to pay 48 dollars (plus tax) for 12 golf balls.

We all know that there are "tiers" of balls - 
'tour level' 40+
'average' 30-40
'decent' 0-30

It's a shame that the first 2 blog posts were both tour level balls. Sure hope that the next few are for the average/decent range.
I'm okay if the core of my 3 piece ball is off center by 2 percent and it causes my shot to go offline 5 yards...I mean my swing is bad enough to cause that already. 😆

When I start shooting super low scores and have balls that last 2-3 rounds then maybe I can see the ROI for the tour level balls, but if I'm losing them at a semi-regular rate then there is no positive ROI.... even if I happen to save 1.29876 strokes and shoot a 78 instead of 79.

For me I feel the biggest difference in spin around the green.  I can't tell you the amount of times I see my brother hit a shot that by all accounts looks and sounds like it should one-hop and stop or at least check up and release and it just bounds across the green.

I get what you mean though.  I hate paying $4 a ball.  I usually get my pro V1x's in April/May when they do the buy three get one free deal.  works out to $36 a dozen, and they typically lasts me 2 seasons (along with some found balls or an extra dozen in the second year). 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I switched from TP5X to Titleist Pro V1X mainly due to the ball test last year. Nothing has knocked it out of my bag. Knowing that the consistency of construction is there is worth it to me to have made the switch for that one reason.
I really look forward to Snell.... They seem to be the “premium” ball in the DTC group. Really curious about them...

Been playing the X for the past year but just bought some Snell MTB-X. I'm now preferring the Snell. On the green, it's like they have disc brakes.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

5 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Been playing the X for the past year but just bought some Snell MTB-X. I'm now preferring the Snell. On the green, it's like they have disc brakes.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Yes last week the snell kept up with the PROVs just as much check loved it.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

Believe me, the ball goes like a scalded dog.  I've tried MG Tour C4s, Srixon Q Star Tours, Z Stars, and the Quantix F18, they all go and go and go.  Oh and I mustn't forget the humble Srixon Range Boulder.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

Who else would like to see the Maxfli Tour or Tour X tested in the first 10 grouping?  I just sent Tony a message requesting one of these be included.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Who else would like to see the Maxfli Tour or Tour X tested in the first 10 grouping?  I just sent Tony a message requesting one of these be included.

Yeah, the first 10(really the next 8 after chrome soft /pro v1) should be something like :

Bridgestone (bx/BXS) 

Srixon z-star

Snell MTB-X 

Vice Pro

Maxfli Tour 

Taylormade TP5

Current K-sig

Mizuno tour 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

I am curious if there will be anything that tops the ProV1, and super interested in how the V1x, -V1x and AVX do.  

Just bought a fresh box Of V1’s today.  Used some DSG points and saved a few bucks. 

It is just a good ball.  Hard to stray from it, and every time I do... I come back to it later.

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I would be interested in the Maxfli Tour/TourX review sooner than later. Good ball for me, would not have believed it had a friend not given me a couple to try. Very interested in comparing Maxfli results to others I game (ProV1, Snell MTB-X, Chromesoft). I just appreciate these Ball Report testing results. Absolutely love the format/content. Think nearly everyone serious about golf ball tech can benefit from these reports.