TESTERS WANTED! ×

Updated USGA Handicap Statistics - What do you think?

Cory O

Came across this article: https://golf.com/news/how-your-handicap-index-compares/

I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on how "honest" these numbers are for handicaps. Do you think that ~30% of men who keep handicaps are single digit players? I'm really not sure (although to be fair, I'm a single digit myself who definitely doesn't feel like I am some days). Just looking at the chart I attached to the post, it would also SEEM like women are more honest about it than men since the curve isn't as skewed to one side, but that might just be based on the chart creation choices. 

I suppose it's all harmless either way, because if you're keeping an index just for yourself and are shaving some strokes off, who cares. If you're playing in comps, then you're doing yourself a disservice as you could get more strokes for the net score (I suppose the worst possible thing is that if it's a team comp, you are hurting the players on your team).

What you all think?

usga-handicaps.jpg

2024 is the year of the short set!

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 11.5* stiff

Hybrid: PXG 0311 GEN5 19*

Irons: JustGolf Forged Blades (4, 6, 8, PW)

Wedge: 56* Forged Prototype

Putter: PXG Blackjack Center Shaft 34"

Bag: Sunday Golf Loma XL

At our club, my sense of those playing in league is that the apex would be more like 21 or 22. Ladies would be in the high 30's. But this is an older group so not sure how that overlays the the USGA stats.

What would be interesting to me would be to do this by age group within each gender. Otherwise it's not meaningful to me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

THIS IS ALL MY OPINION...

I caddied from 1999-2008 and worked briefly as an assistant pro after that. So my experience is what drives the opinion.

I believe the majority of golfers that carry handicaps are country club players. Most public courses don't advertise that they offer GHIN services, and it was only 2019 when the Northern Ohio chapter offered handicap services directly without a club membership.

Everything inside 4 feet, unless for birdie was a gimmie, and even then I saw a handful picked up. Every Sat & Sun morning, or round with guests was fourball match. If someone got past bogey, or were out of the hole, they just picked up. Their scorecard just got marked with whatever was a stroke worse than what won the hole.

How many of those gimmie putts would be missed? Considering those guys hadn't putt a 3 footer in a decade, I imagine a lot. How many of those bogeys were actually doubles or triples? They were pocketing the ball laying 6 and 150 out still.

If the average golfer is a 12, then I'll call that a social 12 and a realistic 14 or 15.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

2 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

If the average golfer is a 12, then I'll call that a social 12 and a realistic 14 or 15.

I'd call all of that fair. I should probably also keep in mind that a handicap is a reflection of your score on a good day (especially if you play a lot of golf and post a bunch of scores) and not necessarily your average. Just looking at myself, I can go out and shoot 5 over on any given day, but I can also easily be 5 strokes higher than that. Add in that you are a fairly serious golfer (or at least serious enough to be in a club and want to play in club comps) to have a handicap to begin with, then the more suitable question is "Can 30% of male serious golfers shoot +10 or lower on a good day?"

1 hour ago, alfriday101 said:

Regarding the second part of the post, the women's numbers would be "skewed" if the chart went higher.  Note how many "54 or higher" players are represented on the far right of the chart.    

Or that represents that some of those club ladies are much more strategic about their sandbagging. Don't care how bad you are, anyone bringing 54+ strokes with them is dangerous in a competition 😃

I'd call all of that fair. I should probably also keep in mind that a handicap is a reflection of your score on a good day (especially if you play a lot of golf and post a bunch of scores) and not necessarily your average. Just looking at myself, I can go out and shoot 5 over on any given day, but I can also easily be 5 strokes higher than that. Add in that you are a fairly serious golfer (or at least serious enough to be in a club and want to play in club comps) to have a handicap to begin with, then the more suitable question is "Can 30% of male serious golfers shoot +10 or lower on a good day?"
That's always a question to consider too, how many weekend warriors don't carry a handicap, and what do they shoot... even by the social club standard.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Industry estimates are that only 10-15% of all golfers even carry a handicap.  The average golfer is generally happy if they break 100.

Roughly 2% of all golfers break 80.

The handicap statistics are thus heavily skewed to people that are very committed to the game, play frequently and perhaps competitively and would be more likely composed of better than average players.

Tour Edge C723 8.0 MCA Tensei AV Blue Xlink 65S

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Tour Edge E723 21 degree MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid Fujikura Fuel 85g Stiff

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

THIS IS ALL MY OPINION...

I caddied from 1999-2008 and worked briefly as an assistant pro after that. So my experience is what drives the opinion.

I believe the majority of golfers that carry handicaps are country club players. Most public courses don't advertise that they offer GHIN services, and it was only 2019 when the Northern Ohio chapter offered handicap services directly without a club membership.

Everything inside 4 feet, unless for birdie was a gimmie, and even then I saw a handful picked up. Every Sat & Sun morning, or round with guests was fourball match. If someone got past bogey, or were out of the hole, they just picked up. Their scorecard just got marked with whatever was a stroke worse than what won the hole.

How many of those gimmie putts would be missed? Considering those guys hadn't putt a 3 footer in a decade, I imagine a lot. How many of those bogeys were actually doubles or triples? They were pocketing the ball laying 6 and 150 out still.

Take Dead Aim

You're not too far off. In our men's league (stroke play) if you're with a couple of feet that's a gimme except for par or birdie. The guys insist on holing those out Interestingly the ladies league which my wife plays in, they have to hole everything out - no gimmes there.

Our club this year launched a major campaign to make sure we record every round since some guys in the past only recorded their bad rounds and others only their best round. We get an email reminder every time we have a tee time. And if you don't and miss several rounds you'll get a rather terse letter from the handicap committee. Overall, I think the ladies handicaps are more reflective of their game.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel