TESTERS WANTED! ×

ANA

Shankster

So, I saw an ad or something for the LPGA ANA today. What do you say. It rhymes... anyways it said something like who will make the jump this year.

I really don’t understand the allure of jumping in a pond full of pesticides, insecticides, and whatever else is in there.  Just doesn’t seem like a good idea...  I remember picking balls from a pond one time on a course as a kid, could have swore there was a 6 eyed Bass in there.  Not to mention the superintendent yelling at me to get out of the pond because there was loads of nasty stuff in there... 

I've watched it for a few years. The 'pond' looks more like an improvised pool. The water was very clear in the videos I've seen. Here's a bit of background:

The First Jump
Amy Alcott was the first golfer to take the plunge, an act that has come to be known as the "Champion's Leap." The collective group of golfers who've made that jump are known as the "Ladies of the Lake."

Alcott won the ANA Inspiration — then called the Nabisco Dinah Shore — for the second time in 1988, and that's the year she became the first golfer to make the jump into the greenside water. Alcott took a running leap, jumping off the bank and into the pond (named Poppie's Pond) next to the final hole

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

It is just a tradition and it used to be a nasty pond but was converted into a swimming pool.  

The concrete-lined pool is part of Champions Lake, which surrounds the 18th (finishing) hole of the LPGA major. Wilcox is known as “Poppie” to his seven grandchildren. The first champion to jump into Poppie’s Pond to celebrate her victory was Amy Alcott in 1988.

Poppie’s Pond is 5-1/2 feet deep at the center and extends about 60 feet on either side of the bridge used by golfers to reach the island green. The pond is maintained to a swimming pool level with a continuous supply of fresh water.  It can also be drained easily and refilled to ensure that it contains high-quality water.

Because the pond is self-contained within the lake, golf course maintenance crews are able to use chlorine without impacting the lake’s fish or birdlife. As a result, the Tournament winners do not have to worry about the quality of the water when they take the dive.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

16 hours ago, Shankster said:

So, I saw an ad or something for the LPGA ANA today. What do you say. It rhymes... anyways it said something like who will make the jump this year.

I really don’t understand the allure of jumping in a pond full of pesticides, insecticides, and whatever else is in there.  Just doesn’t seem like a good idea...  I remember picking balls from a pond one time on a course as a kid, could have swore there was a 6 eyed Bass in there.  Not to mention the superintendent yelling at me to get out of the pond because there was loads of nasty stuff in there... 

I mean, some people eat fish eyes (My brother and mom as an example)

I think the whole idea behind is that they have accomplished a great feat, and wanted to celebrated in the weirdest way as possible.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I’ll watch some of it. Will be decent golf.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

They have a pool... and a pond.  The pond will be good for you.

I attended the Kraft Nabisco in 2007, the year that Morgan Pressel beat a folding Suzann Pettersen.  Great course and the players are fun to watch.  I'd go again.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

21 hours ago, cnosil said:

It is just a tradition and it used to be a nasty pond but was converted into a swimming pool.  

The concrete-lined pool is part of Champions Lake, which surrounds the 18th (finishing) hole of the LPGA major. Wilcox is known as “Poppie” to his seven grandchildren. The first champion to jump into Poppie’s Pond to celebrate her victory was Amy Alcott in 1988.

Poppie’s Pond is 5-1/2 feet deep at the center and extends about 60 feet on either side of the bridge used by golfers to reach the island green. The pond is maintained to a swimming pool level with a continuous supply of fresh water.  It can also be drained easily and refilled to ensure that it contains high-quality water.

Because the pond is self-contained within the lake, golf course maintenance crews are able to use chlorine without impacting the lake’s fish or birdlife. As a result, the Tournament winners do not have to worry about the quality of the water when they take the dive.

Makes sense now.  

On 9/10/2020 at 3:03 PM, Rickp said:

I’ll watch some of it. Will be decent golf.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Nelly is the one to beat. Her putter is on fire, but Lexi's not too far behind. It'll be a fun two days to watch 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

45 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Nelly is the one to beat. Her putter is on fire, but Lexi's not too far behind. It'll be a fun two days to watch 

Based on yesterday I would agree.    I really enjoyed the amount of coverage they were giving the tournament the past 2 days. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Lexi hit bunch of fairways, but her short game wasn't sharp and her putting has always been suspect.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 9 months later...
On 9/10/2020 at 4:46 AM, cnosil said:

Because the pond is self-contained within the lake, golf course maintenance crews are able to use chlorine without impacting the lake’s fish or birdlife. As a result, the Tournament winners do not have to worry about the quality of the water when they take the dive. I think the owners of the club are worried about safety and there are no pesticides in their ponds because this is an important topic. Additionally, you can read about it here https://envrexperts.com/free-essays/pesticides/ if you are interested. So, nothing threatens the winners of the tournament.

Well, if the club employees monitor the quality of the water then everything is fine.

Edited by Grace McDonald