TESTERS WANTED! ×

300 yard drives or Never 3 putt?

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

And if you really cannot hit a 50-yard partial shot closer than a 90-yard full shot, you really need to practice partial shots.

image.gif

While I agree that people should practice the shorter shots more than they currently do, I disagree that it is always easier to be closer. Even watching the tour, they don't always just hit it as close as possible. They lay up to "their number". differences in people's swings and comfort levels as well as pin locations and green firmness will determine the best place to lay up from. There are for sure times I would much rather have a full swing in so that I don't have to think about back swing length, or so I can get extra height on the ball, or so I can generate more spin. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 
28 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I hit the ball a long way, and I don’t three-putt often, but I don’t see these as an equal trade off... If one is going from 250 average to 300, and using an 8 iron instead of a three iron, I see the benefit, but for me, I’d have to get three to four one-putts as the trade off to make it worthwhile. I don’t get birdies just because I hit it a long way... 

It would be a much harder decision for me if the choice was 300 yard drives or 4 more 1 putts per round.   I don't 3 putt often but I sure wish i'd sink a few more in the 10 - 15' range!

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

The whole concept is discussed in Every Shot Counts by Mark Broadie.  He utilized both the PGS Tour Shotlink data as well as similar types of data for amateurs from sources like Game Golf and Arcos.  I don't have the book here at work, so I don't have the details of his sources at my fingertips., but its an interesting read, explaining the Strokes Gained concepts in great detail

Thanks for the direction. Looking up what I can pull from the book, I found table 5.2 for PGA tour pros and attached it to the post. For the pros, they are seeing .1 strokes gained from being 60 yards out as opposed to 100 yards out from the fairway (.11 from the rough). I can't find anything for the "average golfer" (say 12-18 handicap), but would be interested to see if that sort of gain still exists. My own anecdotal observation would be that it doesn't, but again that's just me. This chart also suggests that applied to game, I would save more strokes never 3 putting (~2 strokes a round) than being around 40 yards closer on drives with my normal accuracy (~1.4 strokes a round).

Table 5.2.jpg

2024 is the year of the short set!

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 11.5* stiff

Hybrid: PXG 0311 GEN5 19*

Irons: JustGolf Forged Blades (4, 6, 8, PW)

Wedge: 56* Forged Prototype

Putter: PXG Blackjack Center Shaft 34"

Bag: Sunday Golf Loma XL

2 minutes ago, The 19th Hole said:

While I agree that people should practice the shorter shots more than they currently do, I disagree that it is always easier to be closer. Even watching the tour, they don't always just hit it as close as possible. They lay up to "their number". differences in people's swings and comfort levels as well as pin locations and green firmness will determine the best place to lay up from. There are for sure times I would much rather have a full swing in so that I don't have to think about back swing length, or so I can get extra height on the ball, or so I can generate more spin. 

Please note that I never said its "always" easier to be closer.  Obstacles like bunkers, pin locations, speed and firmness of greens, terrain in the potential landing areas, all need to be taken into account.  

And some of the pros still play by the old advice, play to your favorite number.  The announcers certainly believe it.  Some of the more stat-conscious pros are following the newer methodology, and succeeding.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Can you point me to any of that data? Not challenging you, just genuinely interested. The best I could find was a MGS article from a couple years back that said 60-80 is better than 100-120 from Arccos data, but I didn't love how they segmented the data (an 80 yard shot is still a full-ish sand wedge for most). Just based on personal observation, I feel like the partial swing gets more inconsistent the more "partial" it gets up until you're into the pitching range, 40-60 yards being the worst for me personally. I also feel like there could be a significant difference based on the lie, for example from the rough I am probably tighter or at least the same from 60 yards or 100 yards, but from a tight fairway lie, the 100 yard shot will almost always win out.
If there was something that broke down average distance left after approaches in 10 yard chunks (40-50, 50-60, 60-70, etc.), or any data about different lies, I'd really like to see it.

You were pointed to Mark Brodie’s book, by looking at information published by Scott Fawcett and Lou Stagner should help as well.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

16 minutes ago, Cory O said:

Thanks for the direction. Looking up what I can pull from the book, I found table 5.2 for PGA tour pros and attached it to the post. For the pros, they are seeing .1 strokes gained from being 60 yards out as opposed to 100 yards out from the fairway (.11 from the rough). I can't find anything for the "average golfer" (say 12-18 handicap), but would be interested to see if that sort of gain still exists. My own anecdotal observation would be that it doesn't, but again that's just me. This chart also suggests that applied to game, I would save more strokes never 3 putting (~2 strokes a round) than being around 40 yards closer on drives with my normal accuracy (~1.4 strokes a round).

Try to find Figures A-6, A-7, and A-8, for median leave (percentage of original distance, and in feet) and greens hit, based on distance from hole and organized by average golfer score.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I realize the closer I am on approach, the better I will score in the long run. But I also realize the further I drive the ball, the more lost balls/recovery shots I will have in the long run - the longer you drive the wider your dispersion too. On my home course at least, I already don't hit driver on 9 of the 13 par 4/5's in an effort to take traps/other hazards out of play, and my scoring on those holes has definitely improved as a result. I don't always use driver when I'm at another course either. It's all a trade off, I continue to assess the best tradeoffs for my present game. As you know a lot goes into it aside from length off the tee.
And there's no club in my bag that would give me 80-100% fairways hit (and still give me any reasonable second shot).

Thanks for the response. I had started using the other approach and playing driver on holes where I didn’t and am scoring better even when I have penalties or have to hit recovery shots. Playing shorter clubs doesn’t eliminate those bad shots but the driver puts me in better positions. Of course understanding course and you dispersion pattern is important for club selection to make sure you can fit driver or any other club into the available space and determining where to aim.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I realize the closer I am on approach, the better I will score in the long run. But I also realize the further I drive the ball, the more lost balls/recovery shots I will have in the long run - the longer you drive the wider your dispersion too. On my home course at least, I already don't hit driver on 9 of the 13 par 4/5's in an effort to take traps/other hazards out of play, and my scoring on those holes has definitely improved as a result. I don't always use driver when I'm at another course either. It's all a trade off, I continue to assess the best tradeoffs for my present game. As you know a lot goes into it aside from length off the tee.
And there's no club in my bag that would give me 80-100% fairways hit (and still give me any reasonable second shot).

Thanks for the response. I had started using the other approach and playing driver on holes where I didn’t and am scoring better even when I have penalties or have to hit recovery shots. Playing shorter clubs doesn’t eliminate those bad shots but the driver puts me in better positions. Of course understanding course and you dispersion pattern is important for club selection to make sure you can fit driver or any other club into the available space and determining where to aim.

26 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Please note that I never said its "always" easier to be closer.  Obstacles like bunkers, pin locations, speed and firmness of greens, terrain in the potential landing areas, all need to be taken into account.  

And some of the pros still play by the old advice, play to your favorite number.  The announcers certainly believe it.  Some of the more stat-conscious pros are following the newer methodology, and succeeding.  

I don't watch every round on every telecast but it seems to me the playing to their favorite number only happens when they have to lay up on a par 5, or have a shorter par 4 where the decision is try to drive the green or hit iron off the tee and they have to decide which iron to hit.  As you said taking into account the green firmness and pin location and how much spin they need to create to hold that shot.

If it is a 'normal' par 4 they seem to hit it as far as they can with their driver and only hit less if a dogleg is at a bad distance for their big stick.  The lesser club off the tee on these par 4's in most instances isn't to play to a favorite number for an approach but to avoid a big number because of hazards off the tee.

Edited by Shapotomous

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I'd take the 300 yard drives.  My P-average is 254 right now.  At my age, there isn't much I can do to get that to 300.  So I'd take the 300 yard drives and then spend a lot more time working on my distance control with the putter.  There are no age or physical issues with improving putting, or wedge play for that matter.  

On the two courses I play most, 300 yard drives would put a wedge in my hands on all the par 4s and make all but one of the par 5s reachable in 2.   I'd still have the par 3s to contend with, however.  

1 minute ago, Shapotomous said:

I don't watch every round on every telecast but it seems to me the playing to their favorite number only happens when they have to lay up on a par 5, or have a shorter par 4 where the decision is try to drive the green or hit iron off the tee and they have to decide which iron to hit. 

If it is a 'normal' par 4 they seem to hit it as far as they can with their driver and only hit less if a dogleg is at a bad distance for their big stick.  The lesser club off the tee on these par 4's in most instances isn't to play to a favorite number for an approach but to avoid a big number because of hazards off the tee.

That's what I'm seeing too, nobody is avoiding a 50-yard shot in favor of a 100-yard shot unless there are additional risk factors being considered.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

30 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Since I am not exponentially better in dispersion with a 3w or 5w or DI I really have to have a good reason to hit less than driver off the tee anymore.  Like a dogleg or bringing a hazard or OB (not bunker) into the landing area / run out zone.

How many times have you or someone you played with (or even watching the pros on TV) taken a 'safer' club off the tee only to end up in the rough or trees or hazard or etc?  When I do it I feel like turning into Woody Austin for a moment and beating myself on the head with the club.  😠  My first thought is always - you idiot.... I could have done just as bad with the driver and been xx yards closer to the hole!   

3 minutes ago, Chizzle said:

Never 3 putt. I can drive it 300+ yds.  Be interesting to hear more from people that do both well and see what they choose

It is a flawed question if you already hit it 300. At that point it is a no brainer because you eliminate a mistake. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

21 minutes ago, Chizzle said:

Never 3 putt. I can drive it 300+ yds.  Be interesting to hear more from people that do both well and see what they choose

Both of those would be extremely unusual for a 13-handicap, together it borders on statistical impossibility.  Unless your primary forum is at GolfWRX.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Undoubtedly more than you want to know. I still have enough distance that I can easily reach any hole on my regular course/ league tees in regulation.

• I lay up on #4 (shortish) par 4 because there's a trap across the fairway where my driver would usually land, and the fairway kicks hard right even if you do land driver distance out.
  • I lay up on #11 (shortish) par 4 because it's so narrow I'd rarely hit the fairway with a driver, and there's "lost ball rough" right and a "lost ball" ravine left.
  • I lay up on #16, a driveable par 4 that's surrounded by traps and "lost ball rough" right, I am averaging almost a full stroke better since I started laying up.
  • I lay up on #17 par 4 because my % fairways there was 39% (I average 60% overall), fairway is only 17 yds wide where my driver lands with "lost ball rough" right and left. The fairway is WAY wider where I lay up. Since I started laying up with a 4i, I have a 5i in and I am definitely scoring better. Having a much shorter approach wasn't helping when I missed the fairway 61% of the time.

As we all know, you have to consider your ability and the exact challenges for each and every hole. YMMV

And when I play other courses, from longer tees, I do use my driver more often.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys
5 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

eeing as there isn't a quantity attached to 3-putts, I'll take the 300-yard drives. I can tolerate one 3-putt every round (annoying as it would be), but assuming the increased driving distance carries over to the rest of my bag I should be able to get a few more looks at birdie. 

Bingo. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Undoubtedly more than you want to know. I still have enough distance that I can easily reach any hole on my regular course/ league tees in regulation.
  • I lay up on #4 (shortish) par 4 because there's a trap across the fairway where my driver would usually land, and the fairway kicks hard right even if you do land driver distance out.
  • I lay up on #11 (shortish) par 4 because it's so narrow I'd rarely hit the fairway with a driver, and there's "lost ball rough" right and a "lost ball" ravine left.
  • I lay up on #16, a driveable par 4 that's surrounded by traps and "lost ball rough" right, I am averaging almost a full stroke better since I started laying up.
  • I lay up on #17 par 4 because my % fairways there was 39% (I average 60% overall), fairway is only 17 yds wide where my driver lands with "lost ball rough" right and left. The fairway is WAY wider where I lay up. Since I started laying up with a 4i, I have a 5i in and I am definitely scoring better. Having a much shorter approach wasn't helping when I missed the fairway 61% of the time.
As we all know, you have to consider your ability and the exact challenges for each and every hole. YMMV

Sounds like you have done the appropriate planning for that particular course. Ideally that type of planning should be done for any course you play.

Start with the notion you are going hit driver on all par 4s and 5s. Identify where you would land and see if you dispersion width fits without having lots of trouble areas. If there is too
Much trouble play lesser club.

Too many people automatically jump to the short hole lay back to a distance strategy. I did that and am learning that isn’t the best strategy.

No 3 putts for me, can still manage the course without a 300 yard drive

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

43 minutes ago, Middler said:

Google earth is one of the greatest inventions for golf course strategy. I will go through and do something similar to this in preparation for a tourney, whether I have played the course 1000 times or not. Most of the time I don't limit it to fw width but distance between boundaries, trees etc. Now sticking to that plan is a whole nother issue. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I've read Brodie and the 300 yard drive answer is the choice here IMO all things being equal.

Back to the pros laying up to their favorite yardage discussion it's a myth perpetuated by announcers wishing to sound knowledgeable.  When you watch they lay up for a reason - hazards in the way, pin cut too close to a trap to stop with ball with a part shot, that type of thing - when you listen in to their discussions with a caddy they are always trying to find a way to get as close to the green as possible first and going for the layup as the bailout option if there's too great a risk.

Ultimately I'm seeing many people making the same statements here.  It's ironic to me that I will lay back to the 100 on 1 and 10 with my tee ball where as a longer player might choose driver.  Each of us is making the proper choice - there are bunkers that I can't carry that come into play when I hit driver - the longer guy can carry those bunkers - you have to plan and use your noggin sometimes.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It's really a tough choice. I feel I don't 3 putt often, but when I do it's frustrating... so that'd be nice. On the other hand, if the 300 yards is down the middle, that's tough to pass on. 

300 yards for me. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

If I can keep my current putting ability I will take 300 yard drives. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Sounds like you have done the appropriate planning for that particular course. Ideally that type of planning should be done for any course you play.

Start with the notion you are going hit driver on all par 4s and 5s. Identify where you would land and see if you dispersion width fits without having lots of trouble areas. If there is too

Too many people automatically jump to the short hole lay back to a distance strategy. I did that and am learning that isn’t the best strategy.

Agreed. When I started I was using driver on all par 4/5's. I learned I was better off laying up on 2 of them right away and another 2 after about 30 rounds. My scoring has improved (and fewer lost balls). I still use driver on those holes occasionally, maybe 5% of the time.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
32 minutes ago, TSauer said:

It's really a tough choice. I feel I don't 3 putt often, but when I do it's frustrating... so that'd be nice. On the other hand, if the 300 yards is down the middle, that's tough to pass on. 

300 yards for me. 

That's not a real choice, but we're just thinking out loud anyway. No one hits every drive down the middle, 300 yards or otherwise.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Thanks for posting this! I think it is a much more effective way of thinking about it than I was going about. I am hitting driver on pretty much every single Par 4 and 5. This pretty much always leaves me a full shot I'm comfortable with (which is why I would take the "no three putts" instead of the 300 yard drives to bring things all the way back to the start). The short 4's where my driver would leave me less than a full shot are the ones that tend to have the trouble in the driver landing zone anyways, so it makes more sense to play it back.

Where I diverge from the "get it as close as you can every shot" strategy is on Par 5's with my second. On a 540 yard hole, if I have 280 in, I strongly believe my scoring will be better on average hitting my 180 club then 100 club than the 230 club and having 50. First because the 180 yard club has a better chance of succeeded for me (and much lower chance of going horribly wrong) and I don't feel like I'll do THAT much better from 50 as opposed to 100 yards to make up for that. That's just for me though, everybody has to play the game they're most confident with.

2 minutes ago, Cory O said:

Thanks for posting this! I think it is a much more effective way of thinking about it than I was going about. I am hitting driver on pretty much every single Par 4 and 5. This pretty much always leaves me a full shot I'm comfortable with (which is why I would take the "no three putts" instead of the 300 yard drives to bring things all the way back to the start). The short 4's where my driver would leave me less than a full shot are the ones that tend to have the trouble in the driver landing zone anyways, so it makes more sense to play it back.

Where I diverge from the "get it as close as you can every shot" strategy in on Par 5's with my second. On a 540 yard hole, if I have 280 in, I strongly believe my scoring will be better on average hitting my 180 club then 100 club than the 230 club and having 50. First because the 180 yard club has a better chance of succeeded for me (and much lower chance of going horribly wrong) and I don't feel like I'll do THAT much better from 50 as opposed to 100 yards to make up for that. That's just for me though, everybody has to play the game they're most confident with.

That's the telling bit, how much risk does the longer second shot add.  That's really the take-away from strokes gained, you should generally get as close as possible without taking on too much additional risk.  Its knowing your game well enough to realistically assess the risk that really matters.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

14 minutes ago, Cory O said:

Where I diverge from the "get it as close as you can every shot" strategy is on Par 5's with my second. On a 540 yard hole, if I have 280 in, I strongly believe my scoring will be better on average hitting my 180 club then 100 club than the 230 club and having 50. First because the 180 yard club has a better chance of succeeded for me (and much lower chance of going horribly wrong) and I don't feel like I'll do THAT much better from 50 as opposed to 100 yards to make up for that. That's just for me though, everybody has to play the game they're most confident with.

My only question would be why you choose a yardage difference of 50 yards on the second shot on the Par 5, instead of say a 200 yard shot leaving 80 over the 230 yard shot leaving 100.

You may be making the right choice not going for the 230 club, but when the difference is 50 yards, you're on the cusp there of breakeven either way, so your best option might actually be somewhere in the middle.

Edited by FrogginBullfish
typo

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

18 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

My only question would be why you choose a yardage difference of 50 yards on the second shot on the Par 5, instead of say a 200 yard shot leaving 80 over the 230 yard shot leaving 100.

You may be making the right choice not going for the 230 club, but when the difference is 50 yards, you're on the cusp there of breakeven either way, so your best option might actually be somewhere in the middle.

That was more just to keep the example 100 yard shot vs. 50 yard shot. Real world with 280 in without trouble in between, I'm most likely hitting my 3h (200 yard club) confident that I'll have some type of full-ish wedge in my hand after.

2 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Google earth is one of the greatest inventions for golf course strategy. I will go through and do something similar to this in preparation for a tourney, whether I have played the course 1000 times or not. Most of the time I don't limit it to fw width but distance between boundaries, trees etc. Now sticking to that plan is a whole nother issue. 

YES! I look up every new course I play and also try to find scorecard information so I can know par, scorecard yardage, and handicap as well as rating and slope. Every factor plays into how I might play a course and then when I get there and see things with my own eyes, it can quickly change. I may see I have more room to hit driver than I thought or there could be some obstacle that didn't present itself on the map that now prevents me from using the strategy I originally worked up in my head.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour