300 yard drives or Never 3 putt?

Our Sponsors

2 hours ago, revkev said:

Back to the pros laying up to their favorite yardage discussion it's a myth perpetuated by announcers wishing to sound knowledgeable.  When you watch they lay up for a reason - hazards in the way, pin cut too close to a trap to stop with ball with a part shot, that type of thing - when you listen in to their discussions with a caddy they are always trying to find a way to get as close to the green as possible first and going for the layup as the bailout option if there's too great a risk.

Taylormade posted a video on YouTube today with their players hitting wedges and they talk to DJ during this and talks about his preferred distance and how he approaches different distances. 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’d suggest you read up on some of the more recent course strategy models. Data analytics is showing that it is generally better to be longer than to lay back. Look at your dispersion pattern and if

Both of those would be extremely unusual for a 13-handicap, together it borders on statistical impossibility.  Unless your primary forum is at GolfWRX.  

If I can retain my current accuracy, from an angular standpoint, I'd take 300 yard drives.  Gaining 50 yards or so would mean much shorter seconds, more greens, better proximity.  And with my current

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Taylormade posted a video on YouTube today with their players hitting wedges and they talk to DJ during this and talks about his preferred distance and how he approaches different distances. 

I just watched that video;  thought it was terrible.    Interviewer: Is that a little more than 8 to 10 degrees of shaft lean?   DJ:I have no idea.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Cory O said:

Thanks for posting this! I think it is a much more effective way of thinking about it than I was going about. I am hitting driver on pretty much every single Par 4 and 5. This pretty much always leaves me a full shot I'm comfortable with (which is why I would take the "no three putts" instead of the 300 yard drives to bring things all the way back to the start). The short 4's where my driver would leave me less than a full shot are the ones that tend to have the trouble in the driver landing zone anyways, so it makes more sense to play it back.

Where I diverge from the "get it as close as you can every shot" strategy is on Par 5's with my second. On a 540 yard hole, if I have 280 in, I strongly believe my scoring will be better on average hitting my 180 club then 100 club than the 230 club and having 50. First because the 180 yard club has a better chance of succeeded for me (and much lower chance of going horribly wrong) and I don't feel like I'll do THAT much better from 50 as opposed to 100 yards to make up for that. That's just for me though, everybody has to play the game they're most confident with.

F7FF1A52-019E-49AE-9B2B-1ED61AEF928A.png.06e5f9f6eab296e62dba362c5bb6accb.png

Pro’s are changing the way they play par 5’s. Not apples to apples of course but there is a lot of data that suggests closer is better. 

• Like 2

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey  SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

31 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

F7FF1A52-019E-49AE-9B2B-1ED61AEF928A.png.06e5f9f6eab296e62dba362c5bb6accb.png

Pro’s are changing the way they play par 5’s. Not apples to apples of course but there is a lot of data that suggests closer is better. 

Cool chart! Looks like a lot of the increase is in the 29 yards or less category (basically going for it). If I had the distance to go for it in two (or when there is a Par 5 under 500 yards), I'd be going for it a lot more often. The range I personally despise (30-70 yards) has remained relatively unchanged.

• Like 2

Driver: Honma TW747 460 VIZARD 50 S-flex
3 wood: GigaGolf TRX 15*  Grafalloy Pursuit M2T S-flex
Hybrids: GigaGolf TRX 18* and 22* UST HDX 70 S-flex
Irons: GigaGolf TRX PowerSlot 5-PW UST HDX 80 S-flex
Wedges: GigaGolf TRX 6.0 50*, 55*, 60* Dynamic Gold S-flex
Putter: Ray Cook M1 (2020) 34”

“Golf is a good walk enhanced”

NO more three putts - I can hit a drive 300yds and if there is one thing that get me angry with myself is hitting a par 5 green in 2 or having a 20ft put for birdie and 3 putting. Particularly when one of my best clubs is my putter.

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I just watched that video;  thought it was terrible.    Interviewer: Is that a little more than 8 to 10 degrees of shaft lean?   DJ:I have no idea.

he’s not the most eloquent guy, that’s for sure. at the beginning of the video he seemed annoyed about being interviewed but actually ended up having a decent back and forth with the guy. 

2 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

he’s not the most eloquent guy, that’s for sure. at the beginning of the video he seemed annoyed about being interviewed but actually ended up having a decent back and forth with the guy. 

In my opinion, the big thing it shows is that golfers can hit shots and play good golf, but they don't know everything about how they actually hit the shots,  their numbers, and all about equipment.   Some players do; Tiger is an example,,  but I would guess that the majority have no clue or even want to know.  

• Like 1

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just now, cnosil said:

In my opinion, the big thing it shows is that golfers can hit shots and play good golf, but they don't know everything about how they actually hit the shots,  their numbers, and all about equipment.   Some players do; Tiger is an example,,  but I would guess that the majority have no clue or even want to know.  

pretty standard across all sports. you’ve got guys who are extremely data driven and analytical and really dig into the process, and some who can’t be bothered with all that but just need to know that it works when it counts. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

pretty standard across all sports. you’ve got guys who are extremely data driven and analytical and really dig into the process, and some who can’t be bothered with all that but just need to know that it works when it counts. 

yep.  Just kind of reminded me of Faldo's commentary on Bryson and graphite wedge shafts and how people thought that Faldo has to be right because he was a pro golfer.  

• Like 3

I honestly don’t know which to choose : my avg drive is 285 and I 3 putt about once a round. But when do I 3 putt? Usually on a par 5 that I reached in 2...

But generally speaking, the harder the course, the more I’ll 3 putt. Not sure how many strokes I’d save by being 15 yards closer on 12-14 holes, but I know eliminating 3 putts would save me at least an entire stroke each round: more if I’m playing a difficult course.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Yeah the guy was asking some dumb questions. I liked it just for listening to dj talk about his approach to hitting the shots 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I’ll take 299 and no 3 putts..ever

• Like 1

:mizuno-small: Irons: Mizuno MP53 Stiff/standard 

:mizuno-small: Hybrid: 4I

:ping-small: Driver: Ping G25 9 degree, stiff

:cleveland-small: Wedges: 52, 56, 60

:scotty-cameron-1: Select Roundback 2014

10 minutes ago, carfig said:

I’ll take 299 and no 3 putts..ever

Let’s be fair and call it 290...(carry naturally)

• Haha 1

Driver: Honma TW747 460 VIZARD 50 S-flex
3 wood: GigaGolf TRX 15*  Grafalloy Pursuit M2T S-flex
Hybrids: GigaGolf TRX 18* and 22* UST HDX 70 S-flex
Irons: GigaGolf TRX PowerSlot 5-PW UST HDX 80 S-flex
Wedges: GigaGolf TRX 6.0 50*, 55*, 60* Dynamic Gold S-flex
Putter: Ray Cook M1 (2020) 34”

“Golf is a good walk enhanced”

Definitely taking the 300 yards. It's rare for me to have more than 1 3 putt in a round, so that would save me minimal shots.  Hitting 3 clubs less into the green would likely save me several shots a round.

Unlike many people, I don't often hit it 300. It needs some wind or slope helping, or it's the extremely rare "how did I do that?" swing that I wish I could replicate.

The only guys I've seen do it consistently have all been plus markers and they play a totally different game than me.

• Like 2

:ping-small:  G400 SFT with Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods with Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:cobra-small: F8 4 Hybrid
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges 50,54,58
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

No three putts, honestly makes me more angry and a hooked drive

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero (8.5* HZRDUS Smoke Shaft)

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies 2 (15*) 

5-Wood:  :adams-small: Tight Lies 2 (19*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 5-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR or a :srixon-small: Z-Star

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Love all the discussion that this fun little post brought out. Seems as if in today's PGA, distance is King.

• Like 2

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue

3 Wood: :adams-small: Insight BUL Stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

52 Deg:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0

56 deg: :cleveland-small: Reg 588 tour action

60 Deg: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0

Putter:bettinardi-small: Studio Stock #3 (Winn 1.32 Pro x grip)

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

On 9/10/2020 at 5:05 AM, palvord said:

300yd drives.

I gotta give myself the best chance to score the lowest number possible, and that's what distance does. I'll gladly three putt once or twice per round if it meant I was hitting 300yd drives. 

Yea, I think the argument for no 3 putt is the most logical - it is most likely going to improve scoring more often.  That said, having just played a round with a former professional player who was rocketing 300+ yard drives off into the rocky mountain stratosphere, and whose was putting for eagles on two of the par 5's, being a BIG distance player (with decent or better accuracy) is definitely an advantage.  Even his sprayed drives cleared the strategically placed tree lines and hazards the course designer intended to capture.

So, I'd like both please. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

I am typically close to 300ish and am currently about 56% fairways. There are rounds where putting is lights out and others where I just can’t get it down. I would take no 3 putts, I can deal with scrambling to get on the green but 3 putts derail me mentally sometimes.

• Like 1

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

I'm going to renege on my earlier post a bit. If I could be relatively certain that 300 yard drives would be playable most of the time, I would probably opt for the distance. 300 yard drives are useless if you have to punch out of the trees or are in a hazard..... or playing from the adjacent fairway over trees. For me, I think no 3 putts would lead to better scores... unless I could be fairly accurate with 300 yard drives.

• Like 1
On 9/10/2020 at 11:42 AM, The 19th Hole said:

While I agree that people should practice the shorter shots more than they currently do, I disagree that it is always easier to be closer. Even watching the tour, they don't always just hit it as close as possible. They lay up to "their number". differences in people's swings and comfort levels as well as pin locations and green firmness will determine the best place to lay up from. There are for sure times I would much rather have a full swing in so that I don't have to think about back swing length, or so I can get extra height on the ball, or so I can generate more spin. 

I am in this boat. My around the green has gotten much better past few years but I’ll take a 100 yard full shot over a partial 60* from 50. Lots of discussion about taking things out of play as well here. This was driven home on my irons only round in CCC4....lowest score of the year because I was planning full shots, don’t need to be closer to the hole to score (again just me everyone’s game is different)

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸