300 yard drives or Never 3 putt?

Our Sponsors

28 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I am in this boat. My around the green has gotten much better past few years but I’ll take a 100 yard full shot over a partial 60* from 50. Lots of discussion about taking things out of play as well here. This was driven home on my irons only round in CCC4....lowest score of the year because I was planning full shots, don’t need to be closer to the hole to score (again just me everyone’s game is different)

crazy how everyone plays such a different game. 

i can put a 40-50 yard chip where i want it most of the time, and tend to miss more from 100-120 with a full wedge shot 

going deeper into this question, you have to think about the scoring implications long term - over the course of a tournament or season or a few seasons. we’re all just thinking about how being closer or further out plays on one hole 

long term i think always being closer to the pin is gonna go a long way to lowering handicap and going lower on rounds 

• Like 3
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’d suggest you read up on some of the more recent course strategy models. Data analytics is showing that it is generally better to be longer than to lay back. Look at your dispersion pattern and if

Both of those would be extremely unusual for a 13-handicap, together it borders on statistical impossibility.  Unless your primary forum is at GolfWRX.  

If I can retain my current accuracy, from an angular standpoint, I'd take 300 yard drives.  Gaining 50 yards or so would mean much shorter seconds, more greens, better proximity.  And with my current

Posted Images

I would go with never 3 putt. No matter how good of a round I'm having off the tee and how good I'm playing if I three putt even once it just immediately takes the wind out of my sails for a hole or two. 

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 Plus 9° -HZRDUS Smoke Yellow (S  Flex)

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 3 Wood 15° Ventus Black 7S

5 Wood: :cobra-small: Offset SZ Hyper Steel  Stock (Lite Flex)

4-AW: :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 Nippon Modus 120 (S Flex, Std Lie, +1/2" Length)

56°:  :vokey-small: SM4 56° Loft,  8° Bounce

60°: :macgregor-small: VIP 60°

Putter: :ping-small: Scottsdale TR Sanita B 

Shot Tracking: :Arccos:

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite 

On 9/13/2020 at 12:20 PM, Chip Strokes said:

crazy how everyone plays such a different game. 

i can put a 40-50 yard chip where i want it most of the time, and tend to miss more from 100-120 with a full wedge shot 

going deeper into this question, you have to think about the scoring implications long term - over the course of a tournament or season or a few seasons. we’re all just thinking about how being closer or further out plays on one hole 

long term i think always being closer to the pin is gonna go a long way to lowering handicap and going lower on rounds 

Actually, those  of us who are viewing this through a "strokes gained" lens ARE looking at it in the long term.  Statistically, being closer to the hole lowers the expected score by some small percentage of a stroke, maybe 0.1 or 0.2 strokes, possible even less.  Its only when you play a number of holes, or a number of rounds, that those tenths start to add up to real strokes.  

• Like 4

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

As someone who does not hit the ball very far I am in on the 300 yard drives, like many have said with similar accuracy to right now. Being closer to the whole would be a huge plus and agree that extra practice on the greens would help really limit those 3 putts, plus closer proximity being so closer to the green. Plus lets be completely honest that would be way more fun to blast some 300 yard drives, and what golf if its not fun.

• Like 1

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to go no 3 putts.

Some of the courses we play have par 4s, that are 260-280 ( with water, sand traps, etc).

Then there's the par 3s.

Only hitting drive maybe 6???? times during a round, 300 yards wouldn't help.

As it is, I could drop 3-4 strokes per 18.

Edited by Jackal
  • Like 1

Always chasing different clubs

I would have to go 300 yard drives.  I don't  3 putt that  often, probably high 1 point something to 2 times per round.  I drive the ball pretty straight and think it would mean more to me to be within 40-70 yards of the green on low  and mid 300 yard par 4's, as opposed to having  100-150 yards in.  My chipping is pretty good, so I think I could improve my proximity with 300 yard drives, and ultimately maybe score better in the long run.  3 putts when they come are annoying, but sometimes they come on big greens when you got 50-60 feet for a first putt, I don't mind those so much..... just think the added 70-80 yards off the tee will do me more good.   GREAT TOPIC FOR THOUGHT!!!

• Like 1

Driver: :nike-small:VR Pro

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: E12 Soft Yellow 

I'm going with the 300 yard drives.  I've played in a shamble format several times with long hitter(s) and my game is so different playing from closer in on the holes.  Definitely scored better.  40,50 60 yards longer than me makes a huge difference.  

• Like 2

TM M4  

EPIC 15*

Sub70 hybids

Titleist T200 5-GW 

Vokey SM8  54

Vokey SM8 58

PXG Operator H 

I dont 3 putt a ton so I will take 300 yards off the tee which can get me home in two on some par 5s and leave shorter clubs in. 

• Like 1

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Never 3 putt all day long. Most courses in Scotland (where I’m from) don’t really need 300 yard drives. 
3 putts always leave a sour taste in the mouth 

• Like 1

Never 3 putt! I actually had that happen today!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Mizuno JPX EZ 3W, 14U

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 18.5

Titleist 816 H1 23

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Sign me up to never three putt. Putting is by far the worse part of my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

I would prefer to never 3 putt. My driver mid to short game are good. my long irons and putting are my weaknesses. That's why I decided not to go pro and stayed amateur when I was in playing in college. My putting has always struggled when I matters not so much when practicing or playing with friends. I was the last group for winning a national title with a par 18 to go I drive the green and 4 putted to lose by one stroke. Most embarrassing moment of my life at that time.

• Like 3

steelhead 9°, rbz 5w, ping awr 2 bc irons, isi irons, or nike vapor irons, cleveland 52°, 58°, 64° 2 ball putter.

There is always a catch when you make a deal with the devil. Make sure you read the EULA lmao. trudeau-n-the-devil-web-612x437.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WITB

Driver: :srixon-small: Z785 , Hazardous 6.0 (Normal)

3 Wood: :srixon-small: F85 @ 13.5* Hazardous Red 6.0 (Stiff)

Driving Iron/Utility: :srixon-small: ZU85 2iron @ 18*

Irons: 5-PW, :cleveland-small: 588CB w/ TT S300's  (Stiff)

Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX4 Satin, 50*/Mid, 56*/Mid and 60*/Low

Putter: :cleveland-small:Portofino

Bag: :srixon-small: Stand Bag

OK.....I voted earlier for 300 yard drives, I've changed my mind.  Since then  went out on an easy course in my area.  Through first 7 holes I had 4 pars, and 3.. 3 putt bogies.  I don't want to 3 putt anymore!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Driver: :nike-small:VR Pro

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: E12 Soft Yellow 

How long is the course? 🤣 if I'm on a 6,000-6,500 yd course, 260 of the tee is perfectly adequate. Allow me a made up statistic that 70% of the game is played from 150yds and in... so if I 3 putt my score suffers whether I put it in the green side bunker of the tee, or stripped the fairway and have 50yds left. What separates the pros from amateurs is primarily number of putts. In short, I'll take zero 3 putts over 300yd drives any day. 

• Like 1

It's 90% Mental

11 minutes ago, DubiousPro said:

What separates the pros from amateurs is primarily number of putts. 

That separation isn't because of putting ability but because of length.  It puts shorter clubs in their hands so they end up with smaller dispersion patterns when hitting approaches.  They also have much better strategy when establishing aim points for those approach shots. 

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I’ll take 275 and one three putt per round.  Seems like an even trade off?

31 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Might need to update to 400 yard drives or no 3 putts.... Hooooooooly20201023_184719.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That Bryson or you? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1