2020 Driver center-of-gravity report ?

Our Sponsors

2020 still not out yet, is MGS going to discontinue these reports ?

I feel these are extremely valuable reports, it's info that is not available anywhere else. Without it we just have to believe every manufacturer's marketing BS.

With these reports we can see WHY some drivers outperform or underperform, and it helps golfers make an informed decision.

I don't think I would have tried the 2016 Cobra King LTD Pro without seeing the MGS report showing it had the most MOI while keeping the COG right on the neutral axis.

I think these reports set MGS apart from every other site, because now everybody can test drivers with launch monitors to show launch data, but nobody else is actually measuring COG like MGS has been.

Edited by Carl Bunch

There isn’t a lot of input from headquarters that filters down to the forums. The moderators do communicate some items back up but there is no guarantee that they will provide an answer.

My personal assessment based on what I see is that With COVID and with Tony focusing on Ball Lab I would lean toward probably not in 2020.

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 hours ago, Carl Bunch said:

2020 still not out yet, is MGS going to discontinue these reports ?

I feel these are extremely valuable reports, it's info that is not available anywhere else. Without it we just have to believe every manufacturer's marketing BS.

With these reports we can see WHY some drivers outperform or underperform, and it helps golfers make an informed decision.

I don't think I would have tried the 2016 King LTD Pro without seeing the MGS report showing it had the most MOI while keeping the COG right on the neutral axis.

I think these reports set MGS apart from every other site, because now everybody can test drivers with launch monitors to show launch data, but nobody else is actually measuring COG like MGS has been.

I've been asking myself the same question? MGS CG reports have been historically released in maj/june (if I remember correctly) so with each passing month I am more and more worried that CG reports are the thing of the past. Real shame.

I hope MGS are waiting for the drivers that are scheduled to be released in fall, like Srixon and Titleist drivers, so that the database would be more complete. 

For the time being I suggest you take a quick peek at the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOHkZPKBdKA&t=810s

It is very basic CG and MOI breakdown of 2020 drivers but it is better than nothing.

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2, 9,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

Fairway::taylormade-small: M5 15°, Fujikura Ventus Red 7S

Hybrids: :titelist-small: 818 H1 (19°) Tensei CK White 90S, :titelist-small: 818 H1 (21°) Tensei CK White 90S

Irons: :srixon-small: Z565, 5-A, Nippon Modus 105S,

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 56°/11°, 62°/8°, Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 8.0, 35''

Waiting for their chance to shine:

:srixon-small: Z U65, 3 iron (20°), Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White Hybrid 90S; 

:srixon-small: Z U65, 4 iron (23°); Nippon Modus 105S

:srixon-small: Z565 4 iron; Nippon Modus 105S

10 minutes ago, Calvo90 said:

I've been asking myself the same question? MGS CG reports have been historically released in maj/june (if I remember correctly) so with each passing month I am more and more worried that CG reports are the thing of the past. Real shame.

I hope MGS are waiting for the drivers that are scheduled to be released in fall, like Srixon and Titleist drivers, so that the database would be more complete. 

For the time being I suggest you take a quick peek at the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOHkZPKBdKA&t=810s

It is very basic CG and MOI breakdown of 2020 drivers but it is better than nothing.

There is a major pandemic going on.  Most of the normal activities at the testing center have been delayed well beyond their normal schedule.  

• Like 4

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

5 hours ago, jlukes said:

There is a major pandemic going on.  Most of the normal activities at the testing center have been delayed well beyond their normal schedule.  

I recognize that currently there are definitely more important things to do, things get done a bit later than usual and health and well-being of the staff should be the priority. That being said, it is evident that the MGS is still running. The ball testing is being carried out, seemingly without a hitch. There are Most wanted testing results being regularly published which include detailed club measurements not to mention in-person testing which seems the most riskiest job for MGS out there. I doubt the testing of all the clubs was already finished in february or is done remotely.

I figured if MGS was able to carry out all the other tests and measurements, it is a bit strange there was no word about the CG and MOI report. It seems mapping drivers would be the most risk free, hence perfect option for the past months when there was really nothing much else or at least safer to do than being ''locked up'' in the lab (assuming MGS have all the necessary gear - I have never noticed remark that MGS hires other companies to do that).

• Like 2

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2, 9,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

Fairway::taylormade-small: M5 15°, Fujikura Ventus Red 7S

Hybrids: :titelist-small: 818 H1 (19°) Tensei CK White 90S, :titelist-small: 818 H1 (21°) Tensei CK White 90S

Irons: :srixon-small: Z565, 5-A, Nippon Modus 105S,

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 56°/11°, 62°/8°, Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 8.0, 35''

Waiting for their chance to shine:

:srixon-small: Z U65, 3 iron (20°), Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White Hybrid 90S; 

:srixon-small: Z U65, 4 iron (23°); Nippon Modus 105S

:srixon-small: Z565 4 iron; Nippon Modus 105S

5 minutes ago, Calvo90 said:

I recognize that currently there are definitely more important things to do, things get done a bit later than usual and health and well-being of the staff should be the priority. That being said, it is evident that the MGS is still running. The ball testing is being carried out, seemingly without a hitch. There are Most wanted testing results being regularly published which include detailed club measurements not to mention in-person testing which seems the most riskiest job for MGS out there. I doubt the testing of all the clubs was already finished in february or is done remotely.

I figured if MGS was able to carry out all the other tests and measurements, it is a bit strange there was no word about the CG and MOI report. It seems mapping drivers would be the most risk free, hence perfect option for the past months when there was really nothing much else or at least safer to do than being ''locked up'' in the lab (assuming MGS have all the necessary gear - I have never noticed remark that MGS hires other companies to do that).

IMO the ball lab has much more value to the consumer over the the Driver CG report.  The amount of time Tony is dedicating to Ball Lab is astounding and the information it will provide consumers with is hugh

• Like 2

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

2 hours ago, Calvo90 said:

As one of the testers,  I can tell you we did not test clubs for months.  They are way behind in most wanted testing and I don't believe they will be able to complete all the clubs this year.  During the "shut down"  Tony was doing the ball lab and is the one who gets the clubs for all the detailed measurements;  it isn't done in Yorktown.  The Yorktown team switched to pandemic related testing:  nets, putting greens, etc.  

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think MGS is on the right track with where their research time is going. The ball tests actually give me hope that we will start seeing more measurement comparisons of different equipment in the coming years. I kind of wish Maltby would publish more of the data the have on woods and drivers as I know they do some testing on them but probably not to the same level as their iron testing. I would like to see the driver COG reports but I feel like driver heads are more of a trial and error fitting process as the COG is more of a fitting tool as some golfers will require a more forward or more rearward COG depending on their swing characteristics.

What I am most curious to see is how many drivers actually have their COG directly in the middle of the face or where they have it marked. I feel that could be a big factor in regards to performance but I don't know if it is a good or bad thing without context. I think MOI on drivers is largely irrelevant as the MOI on every driver is very high relative to any other club in the bag. I think it would be neat if they did COR testing on drivers to see which driver actually has the hottest face. I imagine most would be close to the 0.83 limit but it would be interesting how close they all are. 

Agreed!

IMO the ball lab has much more value to the consumer over the the Driver CG report.  The amount of time Tony is dedicating to Ball Lab is astounding and the information it will provide consumers with is hugh

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mavrik Max 9 degree loft w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Maverick Max 3W, 5W w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Mavrik Max 3H, KBS tour prototype 70/80 X-Stiff 80g

Speedblade 4-PW, AW, SW KBS Siff 85g

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

On 9/17/2020 at 1:38 PM, Kansas King said:

"What I am most curious to see is how many drivers actually have their COG directly in the middle of the face or where they have it marked. I feel that could be a big factor in regards to performance but I don't know if it is a good or bad thing without context."

The MGS COG reports DO show where the COG is in relation to the face.

14 hours ago, Carl Bunch said:

The MGS COG reports DO show where the COG is in relation to the face.

I think what I meant to say was how the club is marked relative to where the COG is. This is something that can't be easily measured because the markings on the top of drivers and woods are placed where they look correct when you are in your stance behind the ball. This is a tedious area in the world of club design is making things look right behind the ball. If you make a driver perfectly square with everything lining up perfectly, you would be left with an unappealing looking club at address. You would assume most companies get the sight lines at address to line up properly with the COG but it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few that disregarded it in favor of better look or didn't put enough effort behind it. The tough part is reliably measuring it which I don't think can be done. I think what MGS is doing is about as much as they can.