Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Ball Lab: Quick Reference

TR1PTIK

30 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

Ok @TR1PTIK time to add the Bridgestone. Kinda surprised by the Ball Lab on this one...

Done!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

This is helpful, thanks for putting it together and updating!  Am I the only one who is really curious to see how these compare?

Spoiler

Kirkland 3 Piece 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Well done, Very helpful!

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

4 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

This is helpful, thanks for putting it together and updating!  Am I the only one who is really curious to see how these compare?

Nope! Not at all! 

41 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Hide contents

Kirkland 3 Piece 

Nope, I am too. I still have a bunch in my garage. Also looking forward to the Vice Pro, once they get logistics figured out.

I have been playing Srixon Z-stars lately, so it's gonna feel like a really long wait for that one to come out. 

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

We have some new balls to add, but I need confirmation about one...

Picture2.png.bdf99a2cdf91a8fa360ffdc0c67eb574.png

Obviously, the Top Flite Gamer and Maxfli Tour X are new to the list. It also appears the new Titleist Tour Speed golf ball has been added based on the box design. As for the Oncore golf balls in the bottom right, I'm really not sure. I'm looking online to try and identify them right now and it appears they are most likely the new Vero X1. What do you guys think?

EDIT: For a quick refresher - The Maxfli Tour X is a 4-PC Cast Urethane ball, Titleist Tour Speed is a 3-PC Thermoplastic Injected Urethane ball, Top Flite Gamer is a 3-PC Ionomer ball, and the Oncore Vero X1 is the company's new 4-PC Cast Urethane golf ball.

The TP5 report has been released and info added to the quick reference. Another great write-up for Tony!

I'll be interested which price per dozen they use for the Z-star. I just grabbed a dozen at WalMart for $24.97.

Probably the $39.99 MSRP.

https://www.srixon.com/us/balls/golf-balls/z-star-golf-balls/MZSTAR18.html?dwvar_MZSTAR18_color=pure-white

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Agreed. Most shops will be selling at $39.99. Also, Walmart and many other big box stores (not specializing in sporting equipment) tend to buy up remaining stock of whatever previous year model is available and sell at a discount. @KurtActual, you may have gotten lucky, but it could just be that you purchased the previous model at a discounted price. I'm not familiar enough with Srixon to know the difference in packaging and labeling from one year to the next, but I have definitely seen them do this with Bridgestone and Titleist golf balls.

EDIT: Was curious what the differences might be so I looked online and saw these at Walmart.com and Srixon.com. I'd be interested to know which packaging you have.

PSX_20200923_160956.jpg.bc899701ea7acb45e88abde05acaaf82.jpg

PSX_20200923_161118.jpg.cb4778d57253ed958bf81efa0f6e676a.jpg

I'll throw in my 2 cents on Srixon.  I'm fairly sure the dozens for $25 are Gen 5 and not Gen 6 Z Stars and I'm also willing to bet that us average folks, can't tell a difference between the two on the course.  The Walmart here has the same price on the Z Stars that are on the shelf.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

1 hour ago, AmishJason said:

I'll throw in my 2 cents on Srixon.  I'm fairly sure the dozens for $25 are Gen 5 and not Gen 6 Z Stars and I'm also willing to bet that us average folks, can't tell a difference between the two on the course.  The Walmart here has the same price on the Z Stars that are on the shelf.

I wouldn't expect much of a difference either. Getting last year's model at a discount is certainly still a good deal regardless, but in relation to Ball Lab we're only looking at current gen products - in some cases this might mean a 2019 ball (Titleist and Taylormade are good examples) due to the way product release cycles work. 

I will make a note that because these big box stores have a habit of buying and selling old stock, it is definitely worth getting familiar with product packaging from one generation to the next. Target provides a good example. This box of Pro V1x golf balls is the 2015 model and they're selling it at 2019/2020 prices. Granted, Titleist could be forcing their hand on this, but it's still important to note because why on earth would you want to pay the same price for a product that's two generations old?

PSX_20200924_054326.jpg.198dc3da33f8084b8535e374821456ea.jpg

Even the Vice Golf balls currently for sale at Target are now at least one generation old (for the tour models anyway). Does it mean you shouldn't buy them? No, I guess not. Not if you're in a real pinch or if for some particular reason you really liked the performance of that specific generation of golf ball. You should always know what exactly you're buying though so you can get it at a fair price.

I digress... We've gotten a little off topic from the original question of what MSRP would be used for the Srixon Z-Star, but it seemed like a good opportunity to share some knowledge as well.

@KurtActual, I hope none of my comments come off as condescending or elitist about buying previous gen products. That is certainly not my intentions. When you posted about the deal you got, it simply piqued my curiosity because golf OEMs tend to have a lot of control over their pricing and I wanted to see if you stumbled across something truly remarkable at that price point.

AH @TR1PTIK, once again dropping knowledge bombs. I will quickly admit I am packaging ignorant. I just checked, and the Z-stars I grabbed at WalMart are the previous year's packaging.

I did notice the Vice generation issue at Target though. I wanted to try a Vice ball, and picked up the $19.99 box of Vice Drive balls (really cheap 2 piece) I sat in the aisle on Google trying to read up on them, and on Vice's own website they compare the 2019 ball to the 2020 ball.

sJtAOdX.png

That's when I looked, and saw the Pro Plus they also stock at my Target was the older generation. I think there is a good chance that people shopping in-store at Target for golf balls dont fit the Vice Pro Plus swing speed category, but that's for another discussion.

Thanks all for enlightening me!

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

2 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

That's when I looked, and saw the Pro Plus they also stock at my Target was the older generation. I think there is a good chance that people shopping in-store at Target for golf balls dont fit the Vice Pro Plus swing speed category, but that's for another discussion.

Funny story about that. I recently purchased a box from Target because I was playing a new course with lots of water and was tipped off that I may lose a few balls. Well, rather than lose any of my preferred Bridgestones, I decided I'd grab something a little cheaper, while still offering plenty of performance. And wouldn't you know it? Target is the closest thing to me... Haha I knew I was getting a bit of a raw deal, but I also saw the 1 or 2 generation old Pro V1s and Pro V1Xs they had sitting on the top shelf and figured, "at least I'm not that guy." LOL

I could have bought golf balls at the course, but without knowing what they carry and whether or not they were even letting anyone in the pro shop due to COVID - I opted for the easiest thing. All said and done, I only wound up losing two golf balls and have quite a few Vice balls to run through before going back to my Tour B XS.

Finally updated the formatting. It's not perfect, but it's much improved. I've also seen several comments on the reports about people wanting to see compression data etc. in one place. I didn't give it much thought at first, but when shopping for a new ball it makes perfect sense so that has been included. Finally, Tony made a comment on the most recent report that a really easy way to compare the value proposition is simply calculate a percentage based on MSRP and True Price. I've included that as well.

Thanks for the summary!

What's in my  :titelist-small: 14 Way Stand Bag

Driver:   :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha 816 DBD 9° (Regular Flex)
Fairway:  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha 816 14° (Regular Flex)
Hybrids:  PXG 19° (Regular Flex)
Irons: PXG 0211 4-GW (Std Loft/Lie, Regular Flex)
Wedges: :callaway-small: MD3 50
°,54°,58° (Std Loft/Lie, Regular Flex)
Putter: post-56870-0-25810000-1458757651.pngZAAP Alpha (35")

There aren't that many balls that fall into the category I'd like to see, however it does matter to me.......where the ball is made. I like to buy Made in USA when I can. May not be a huge factor to most as I am pretty sure all ProVs are made in oversea plants, but I think the Bridgestones are still made here last time I checked (e12/Tour)

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 * - Tensei AV White 65 X

Fairway Wood: :titelist-small: TS2 16.5* - Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Hybrids: :titelist-small: TS2 19.0* - Tensei AV Blue 70HY S

Irons 5-GW: :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal - Pro Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges:titelist-small: Vokey 54 | 58 |  

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

1 hour ago, CWilson216 said:

I am pretty sure all ProVs are made in oversea plants

Not quite.  Titleist ball plants #2, #3, and C (New Bedford, Massachusetts) make most of the Titleist golf balls for the U.S. market.  Titleist ball plant #4 (Thailand) supplies global distribution and some big box stores in the U.S.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

4 hours ago, CWilson216 said:

There aren't that many balls that fall into the category I'd like to see, however it does matter to me.......where the ball is made.

I have a hunch @TR1PTIK
can run this down 😎

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

5 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Not quite.  Titleist ball plants #2, #3, and C (New Bedford, Massachusetts) make most of the Titleist golf balls for the U.S. market.  Titleist ball plant #4 (Thailand) supplies global distribution and some big box stores in the U.S.

Well, the last few boxes of ProV's I looked at came from #4. These were in Dicks though, so maybe that is the difference?

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 * - Tensei AV White 65 X

Fairway Wood: :titelist-small: TS2 16.5* - Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Hybrids: :titelist-small: TS2 19.0* - Tensei AV Blue 70HY S

Irons 5-GW: :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal - Pro Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges:titelist-small: Vokey 54 | 58 |  

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

11 hours ago, CWilson216 said:

Well, the last few boxes of ProV's I looked at came from #4. These were in Dicks though, so maybe that is the difference?

Possibly. It makes sense that Dick's would have partners overseas where they can produce and distribute products at a lower price so why not get golf balls from those same distributors? I couldn't honestly tell you for sure, that's just a hunch. What at @JohnSmalls posted above is absolutely correct though. 

Other companies that produce balls in the US: Bridgestone, and Callaway. As noted in the most recent Ball Lab, Taylormade has a ball plant in the US, but they only put the covers on there. The cores are produced overseas by two sources and sent to Taylormade. 

I'm curious, what category of golf ball are you looking for? Just those made in the US, or are you looking more specifically for a lower tier ball made in the US?

17 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Tony's test matrix just exploded 😲.  By the time he gets all the permutations accounted for, the OEM's will have changed their process and/or mfg. locations and he'll have to start over 🤣

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

12 hours ago, CWilson216 said:

I think that's a safe bet. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Updated with the Snell MTB-X! Can't wait for the discussion thread on this one!!!

Just ordered a test pack of the Snell's (Combo MTB-X & Black) in optic yellow. I'm looking forward to putting them to the test to see how they play. I had been waiting on the Ball Lab report and was pleased to see only 1 bad ball in the lot. At their prices, and the "true price", they really seem like a great value. Of course, MGS hasn't tested the MTB Black yet, but I imagine from a quality standpoint it would stack up very similarly to the MTB-X. 

--
Driver: :callaway-small: GBB Epic Sub Zero 10.5* X-Stiff -- Currently borrowing an Epic Flash, as the GBB was damaged during practice, and loving it
3 Wood: :callaway-small: Epic Flash 3W X-Stiff
Irons: Nickent 3DX Pro 3-PW Stiff
Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey Spin Milled 52.08* , 56.10* :cleveland-small: CG16 60.12*
Putter: :odyssey-small: WhiteHot RX-7
Ball: Testing Snell MTB-Black & MTB-X
RH

13 minutes ago, cdstall said:

Just ordered a test pack of the Snell's (Combo MTB-X & Black) in optic yellow. I'm looking forward to putting them to the test to see how they play. I had been waiting on the Ball Lab report and was pleased to see only 1 bad ball in the lot. At their prices, and the "true price", they really seem like a great value. Of course, MGS hasn't tested the MTB Black yet, but I imagine from a quality standpoint it would stack up very similarly to the MTB-X. 

I’ve been playing MTB Blacks, more recently MTB-Xs almost exclusively for years, so I’m a fan. 

As for your assumption above, different metrics in 2019 but FWIW... https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

73F90D6F-DD48-4FCD-A575-2A9E5BD46C83.jpeg

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys