TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ball Lab: Quick Reference

TR1PTIK

43 minutes ago, Middler said:

I’ve been playing MTB Blacks, more recently MTB-Xs almost exclusively for years, so I’m a fan. 

As for your assumption above, different metrics in 2019 but FWIW... https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

73F90D6F-DD48-4FCD-A575-2A9E5BD46C83.jpeg

When the ball test came out last year I assumed this chart had some relation to quality, but after looking at the report again I'm not sure what exactly this chart is meant to imply. I know it's a combination of all performance metrics including some related to quality, but there were no standout issues noted about the MTB Black so now I'm curious what differentiates it from the balls in the Very Good category. ??? Hopefully Ball Lab can clear that up, but as far as I know Tony doesn't have any MTB Blacks to test due to sourcing issues related to COVID. It's going to take a while. 😞 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

6 hours ago, Middler said:

I’ve been playing MTB Blacks, more recently MTB-Xs almost exclusively for years, so I’m a fan. 

As for your assumption above, different metrics in 2019 but FWIW... https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

@Middler to clarify, I meant more about quality of manufacture, not necessarily performance. From a performance stand-point, I have to think the golfer's game has more of an impact than the design of the ball, assuming all other things are equal- meaning, if my game is suited toward a firmer ball, I would see better performance with a firmer ball than a softer (slower) ball. I would agree with @TR1PTIK's comment later: 

6 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

When the ball test came out last year I assumed this chart had some relation to quality, but after looking at the report again I'm not sure what exactly this chart is meant to imply. I know it's a combination of all performance metrics including some related to quality, but there were no standout issues noted about the MTB Black so now I'm curious what differentiates it from the balls in the Very Good category. ??? Hopefully Ball Lab can clear that up, but as far as I know Tony doesn't have any MTB Blacks to test due to sourcing issues related to COVID. It's going to take a while. 😞 

My assumption here and in my earlier comment with Snell is same factory, same QA guys/standards, just a different performing ball. I'm looking forward to hitting with both and I'm glad I got the test pack. Unfortunately, they won't arrive in time for a round this weekend.  

@TR1PTIK I agree, I hope the revised 2020 Most Wanted will factor in quality/true price/Ball Lab results into the Most Wanted evaluation. It would be great if we could ultimately get a report that illustrated:

1. Here is what these balls claim to do
  2. Here is what they actually do
  3. Here is what they claim to cost
  4. Here is what they actually cost
  5. Here are some balls that buck the norm positively (a 3 piece that plays like a 4, a $32 dz that plays like a $44 dz)
  6. Here are balls we would consider avoiding (sub-standard quality, dramatically underperform their peers in the category, deeply misleading claims)

It would be even better if that were a filterable list. Instead of saying "This is THE ball of 2020" MGS could say, put your own inputs in- sort/filter based on price, quality, country of origin, features, and performance. I think the ultimate tool would allow different users to say, "here's what I know about my game and budget, given those factors, and MGS' information, this is the best ball (or 2/3) for me."

Regardless, I deeply appreciated the Ball Lab analysis and I'm very grateful for this summary thread. It was especially helpful to see what was coming down the pipeline. 

--
Driver: :callaway-small: GBB Epic Sub Zero 10.5* X-Stiff -- Currently borrowing an Epic Flash, as the GBB was damaged during practice, and loving it
3 Wood: :callaway-small: Epic Flash 3W X-Stiff
Irons: Nickent 3DX Pro 3-PW Stiff
Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey Spin Milled 52.08* , 56.10* :cleveland-small: CG16 60.12*
Putter: :odyssey-small: WhiteHot RX-7
Ball: Testing Snell MTB-Black & MTB-X
RH

Another update for the thread. Tony posted three new additions on Twitter! Vice Pro (White), Vice Pro Soft (White), and Titleist TruFeel.

I'll wait until tomorrow to update the chart since I'll be updating it tomorrow anyway. Just wanted to get the word out.

IMG_2372.JPG.4122c94e3a7a096901be82dd3b461d48.JPG

This post is BEYOND useful @TR1PTIK I have referred back to it at least half a dozen times just in the last few days! 

giphy.gif

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Chart updated!

I wonder if we could petition the mods to pin this post... 🤔

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Took a little longer today, but I've updated with the latest ball lab.

The Maxfli Tour presents a 94.44% value in terms of MSRP vs. True Price. That places it securely in 3rd for that specific metric. Impressive.

This is a cool compilation -- thanks for putting it together!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Just read the report on the Srixon Q-Star Tour and adding it to the database. This one's gonna hit below the belt for a few forum members and casual observers commenting on the blog...

13 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Just read the report on the Srixon Q-Star Tour and adding it to the database. This one's gonna hit below the belt for a few forum members and casual observers commenting on the blog...

me too .. wow couldn't believe it 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Love this cliff notes post. Can't wait for the Elixr and Vero X1!

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

Just updated with the Srixon Z-Star report. Talk about a comeback! Srixon went from the most concerning of the bunch to posting a top-5!!! At least for now...

Wondering if we'll see more of these contrasting results between price/performance tiers as Tony begins reporting on other brands' non-tour offerings.

More updates!

A little late to the party this go around, but I've updated the chart with the Wilson DUO Soft+. All I can say is WOWZA that is a low compression ball!

Honestly, just making a post to get this thread back on page 1 to help anyone looking for the reference chart.

I've enjoyed working on this. Tony has stated that he is working on a proper comparison tool, but it might be a while still. 

Thanks! This ball lab is a fantastic source of information, I look forward to it every week. How do you decide what ball gets tested next? Looking forward to seeing the Srixon Z-Star XV and Bridgestone Tour B X come though.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

20 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Thanks! This ball lab is a fantastic source of information, I look forward to it every week. How do you decide what ball gets tested next? Looking forward to seeing the Srixon Z-Star XV and Bridgestone Tour B X come though.

Take Dead Aim

I don't get to decide, Tony does. His decisions have been based on popularity of ball model, Twitter polling, and availability. We're quickly approaching a place where all the most popular premium ball models have been tested so it will be interesting to see how Ball Lab reports are ordered going forward.

Great thread. I am keeping my own summary spreadsheet but maybe I'll quit since you're doing it for us. Thanks!

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

58 minutes ago, Middler said:

Great thread. I am keeping my own summary spreadsheet but maybe I'll quit since you're doing it for us. Thanks!

Nothing wrong with keeping your own spreadsheet. I'd be interested to know if you have any suggestions for my spreadsheet. Are you collecting any data that differs from mine? Any changes you'd like to see in terms of formatting (which has been a thorn in my backside)? I know it doesn't look the best on my browser. I've thought about making it a JPEG instead of copying and pasting text, but then the Ball Lab links wouldn't work. I guess the other option is to try and scale everything down a bit.

Nothing wrong with keeping your own spreadsheet. I'd be interested to know if you have any suggestions for my spreadsheet. Are you collecting any data that differs from mine? Any changes you'd like to see in terms of formatting (which is a been a thorn in my backside)? I know it doesn't look the best on my browser. I've thought about making it a JPEG instead of copying and pasting text, but then the Ball Lab links wouldn't work. I guess the other option is to try and scale everything down a bit.
I am keeping a spreadsheet as well. I track compression, launch & spin characteristics, and true price vs. Retail. I then split the balls into categories based on this data, which reflect my preferences.

I really only use the MGS app, so I can tell you the quick reference table is difficult to read. Maybe just post the links and sort the balls into groupings - such as - Tour Urethane, Non-Tour Urethane, and Non-Urethane (or value/distance etc.) Or rank them by True Price percentages.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

Nothing wrong with keeping your own spreadsheet. I'd be interested to know if you have any suggestions for my spreadsheet. Are you collecting any data that differs from mine? Any changes you'd like to see in terms of formatting (which has been a thorn in my backside)? I know it doesn't look the best on my browser. I've thought about making it a JPEG instead of copying and pasting text, but then the Ball Lab links wouldn't work. I guess the other option is to try and scale everything down a bit.

Here's mine so far FWIW. Overkill but it's no extra effort to capture all the categories. Just recently sorted by # of bad balls, a priority to me. Confirms once again Snell MTBs are the ball for me. 🙂

Ball Lab.jpg

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

1 minute ago, Middler said:

Here's mine so far FWIW. Overkill but it's no extra effort to capture all the categories. Just recently sorted by # of bad balls, a priority to me.

Ball Lab.jpg

I really like that! I thought about going into a lot of detail for the reference chart, but the formatting issues with a large spreadsheet quickly became apparent. The inclusion of manufacturing location is nice. Are the numbers on the far left the order in which the reports came out?

7 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I really like that! I thought about going into a lot of detail for the reference chart, but the formatting issues with a large spreadsheet quickly became apparent. The inclusion of manufacturing location is nice. Are the numbers on the far left the order in which the reports came out?

Yes, so I can sort back to the order the reports came out, or any other field for that matter.

As an aside, I play regularly with about 25 guys - and 24 of them don't have any clue the differences in quality from one brand/model to another. Blissfully unaware, and I know better than to bother them with any info...they wouldn't listen. They mostly play lower tier Titleists or Callaways (no way they'd spring for Pro V1s or ChromeSofts), marketing is a wonderful thing. The one guy I play with that cares at all plays found Pro V1/V1x only.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

Here's mine so far FWIW. Overkill but it's no extra effort to capture all the categories. Just recently sorted by # of bad balls, a priority to me. Confirms once again Snell MTBs are the ball for me.

446774469_BallLab.jpg.6ce9673d2875bc9f0d4eadc42d01573c.jpg
Awesome! Yes this is far more detailed than mine. I use this data to find my ball, others to try, or avoid. Luckily the two "bad balls" ChromeSoft & Q-Star Tour are too low compression for me to consider anyway. I already made the change from ProV1 to Z-Star and these labs has validated that decision, as essentially the only difference is 2 compression points. In the meantime I'm buying a dozen Snell MTB-X in the spring and contemplating if I should switch to one of the firmer X balls, hence the interest.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

56 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Awesome! Yes this is far more detailed than mine. I use this data to find my ball, others to try, or avoid. Luckily the two "bad balls" ChromeSoft & Q-Star Tour are too low compression for me to consider anyway. I already made the change from ProV1 to Z-Star and these labs has validated that decision, as essentially the only difference is 2 compression points. In the meantime I'm buying a dozen Snell MTB-X in the spring and contemplating if I should switch to one of the firmer X balls, hence the interest.

Take Dead Aim

If you went from the Pro V1 to the Z-Star, you might want to try the MTB-Black instead of the MTB-X. They have an MTB Test Pack with both as well if you want to compare.

https://www.snellgolf.com/products/mtb-test-pack-golf-balls

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

If you went from the Pro V1 to the Z-Star, you might want to try the MTB-Black instead of the MTB-X. They have an MTB Test Pack with both as well if you want to compare.
https://www.snellgolf.com/products/mtb-test-pack-golf-balls
If the results for the black are just as good, I'll give it a try. There's plenty of time for more tests before April. Though I'm dabbling with switching to a firmer ball anyway. Based on the tests so far the lowest compression ball that works for me is the Bridgestone B XS @ 86.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Updated the chart with the Vice Pro. I've got some format updates coming soon as well. Gonna try and get everything to fit on screen better (especially for you mobile users).

Updated with the Pinnacle Practice report. I know a lot of people aren't too interested in it, but I thought it was a fun exercise. I honestly wouldn't mind if Tony and the MGS team decided to do a bit more exploration into range balls - both quality and performance - so we could better adjust our expectations when working on our games.

10 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Updated with the Pinnacle Practice report. I know a lot of people aren't too interested in it, but I thought it was a fun exercise. I honestly wouldn't mind if Tony and the MGS team decided to do a bit more exploration into range balls - both quality and performance - so we could better adjust our expectations when working on our games.

Nothing wrong with the idea, but it’s been done before. They don’t fly as far and they don’t spin as much even when new. And I suspect it varies considerably from range to range as some better courses cull balls that are in poor condition while others seem to keep their range balls in the rotation until the covers fall off?

When you head to the range, don't focus on distance, as most range balls will not perform the same as the ball you will put into play once you get to the golf course. Expect the range balls to fly 10 to 15 percent shorter than a normal golf ball. A limited-flight range ball could be 20 to 30 percent shorter. Focus instead on timing and solid contact.” 
https://www.sportsrec.com/6532587/the-best-golf-balls-for-a-slow-swing-speed

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

24 minutes ago, Middler said:

Nothing wrong with the idea, but it’s been done before. They don’t fly as far and they don’t spin as much even when new. And I suspect it varies considerably from range to range as some better courses cull balls that are in poor condition while others seem to keep their range balls in the rotation until the covers fall off?

When you head to the range, don't focus on distance, as most range balls will not perform the same as the ball you will put into play once you get to the golf course. Expect the range balls to fly 10 to 15 percent shorter than a normal golf ball. A limited-flight range ball could be 20 to 30 percent shorter. Focus instead on timing and solid contact.” 
https://www.sportsrec.com/6532587/the-best-golf-balls-for-a-slow-swing-speed

I'm talking about something quite a bit more extensive and in-depth than that. While performance will always be different from that of almost any normal golf ball, not all range balls are limited flight and some are severely more limited than others.

I'd be curious to learn more about the exact performance variables and how companies go about accomplishing that. Is it weight, diameter, compression, dimple design, or some combination of these?

Do driving ranges accommodate for these variances? I've been to some ranges that will place yardage markers in accordance with the balls they use as to provide a fairly accurate representation of distance and I've been to other ranges that don't do this.

Look, I've gone on record as saying that we shouldn't pay much attention to the distance of range balls, but it doesn't mean a deeper understanding of construction and performance isn't warranted. Considering how much time and money golfers spend at the driving range, I think it's worth the same consideration that's currently being given to retail balls.