Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Rear Shoulder Flexibility

One thing that I’m constantly working on is at the start of my downswing, bringing my rear arm back down to my side and shallowing the plane through pointing my elbow at my hip.

The issue I’m running into is a lack of flexibility to truly shallow, likely from some injuries over the years playing sports with my shoulder, along with weightlifting in general losing flexibility. 

Does anyone have exercises they would recommend that have helped them with a similar issue? There’s so many that pop up in a search that I don’t know where to start, so hoping someone has a routine that did the trick for them. 

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Sub Zero,10°, Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

3W: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Sub Zero, 15°, Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

3H: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Sub Zero, 18°, KBS Tour Hybrid 75S

4i-PW: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Pro, +1°, True Temper Elevate Tour S, Standard Lie

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 - 50°/12F, 54°/14F, 58°/14K

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Special Select Squareback 2, 35"

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

i’m assuming you’re referring to external rotation of the shoulder (with your arm held like a goalpost, this is the motion that brings your palm up to the sky) 

working off that, there are two areas i’d focus on 

1. pec attachment 

2. subscapularis 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

That’s exactly it - rotating palm up, allowing the plane to flatten and elbow to point at rear hip. Will give these a shot!

4i-PW: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Pro, +1°, True Temper Elevate Tour S, Standard Lie

Update here: the second video on subscapularis has been the one for me. Have worked that into my post-workout stretching and feel like it is more flexible, and have seen a more consistent elbow drop in the backswing. Thanks again Chip Strokes!

happy to help, @GBWarPig

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2020 at 2:27 PM, Chip Strokes said:

i’m assuming you’re referring to external rotation of the shoulder (with your arm held like a goalpost, this is the motion that brings your palm up to the sky) 

working off that, there are two areas i’d focus on 

1. pec attachment 

2. subscapularis 

These are both solid recommendations. I have been working with a physical therapist for a right shoulder injury, (trail shoulder) and it's a sports rehab place and the guy is a golf nut. The two that they really advocate are:

What I call the flipper. I found a picture of the general idea and attached it. (Sorry, couldn't figure out how to embed it.) They have me do it the way it is in the picture, and then turn around 180 and work the opposite direction. 

Second, the decievingly simple ball trick. 

https://www.stoneclinic.com/video/Soccer-Ball-Shoulder-Exercises

This was insanely hard at first, but is getting easier, which must mean it's working. Hope these help! 

20201017_183229.jpg

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

On 10/17/2020 at 8:38 PM, Crowev01 said:

These are both solid recommendations. I have been working with a physical therapist for a right shoulder injury, (trail shoulder) and it's a sports rehab place and the guy is a golf nut. The two that they really advocate are:

What I call the flipper. I found a picture of the general idea and attached it. (Sorry, couldn't figure out how to embed it.) They have me do it the way it is in the picture, and then turn around 180 and work the opposite direction. 

Second, the decievingly simple ball trick. 

https://www.stoneclinic.com/video/Soccer-Ball-Shoulder-Exercises

This was insanely hard at first, but is getting easier, which must mean it's working. Hope these help! 

I've actually been doing that flipper exercise without the towel for some time and using resistance loops instead of the band, and it definitely helped with overall range of motion. Recommend that for sure.

Will have to try the soccer ball exercise, especially the circular motion part. Feel like working on that with a focus on the movement of the trail side shoulder will be of benefit.

2 hours ago, GBWarPig said:

I've actually been doing that flipper exercise without the towel for some time and using resistance loops instead of the band, and it definitely helped with overall range of motion. Recommend that for sure.

Will have to try the soccer ball exercise, especially the circular motion part. Feel like working on that with a focus on the movement of the trail side shoulder will be of benefit.

I hope it helps. Shoulder injury is the worst. The guy helping me says he likes to find things that seem incredibly simple, and if they are hard to do, that's a good one to focus on. Let us know how the improvement goes, and I will see if I can find any more info to keep you going. Good luck! 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

I've just received some Indian Clubbells to work on shoulder, elbow, and wrist mobility. Might be something to look into.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE