Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

Driver adjustments

revkev

I'm curious as to how many of you guys fool around with the adjustable features on your driver?  When you do how do you assess the impact of the adjustment?

My guess is that most of us do mess around because we're here and that means we mess around with equipment.  It's the assessment part then that I'm anxious to read about.  I use either ARCCOS or Shotscope plus a Rapsodo personal LM.  Recently I tried setting my loft down a notch because I mistakenly believed that I was either launching driver too high or it was too spinny (I don't have a way of measuring spin rate without laying out $100 for a trackman session).  I moved it back up to where I was having very good success and viola I was hitting it great on the range.  I will take it out on the course tomorrow (if I'm not tropical stormed out.)

So how about you?  How much do you monkey with those adjustable features and how do you assess the result.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My swing changes day-to-day.  Some days I hit my driver higher than other days (I think I am not as flexible at 7am as I am mid-day).  If I feel like I am loose, I will drop my driver down a degree, because my miss is a high fade that loses yardage on our hard fairways. Generally, I keep the loft at the standard 10.5, but I will always lower the loft when it's windy to keep the shot lower.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There's been many drivers that have attempted to knock it out of the bag, but I'm still gaming the SLDR 430 head I got on the TMaG trip when it was released.  The fitter there adjusted the loft and sliding weight, and I haven't touched it since.  I did swap out the whiteboard I was fit in to for a Ventus Black this year but I use the same loft setting as before.  It's taken 7 seasons but I'm slowly realizing this combo is as good as I can get for me in a driver.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I am pretty much a set it and leave it type person.   I am fortunate because if  want to see the impact of a change I can check numbers on the MGS GC Quad.  I checked the launch conditions a few weeks ago and I was launching within normal windows  so no reason to tweak.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I bought the TS3 this year. I struggled hard for while. I adjusted the weight to the rear of the club and set it one click toward draw. I have been playing it there for most of the year. I don't bother with the settings once I find one that works... most of the time...lol.

I mess around a little, but only to find what works,  so that I can leave it alone.

Right now, Fly Z+, when playing the Wilson Staff FG Tour, I was playing it at its lowest loft.  When I ran thru my stash of those, and switched to the Duo Professional, I found I didn't get results until I went one click above standard loft, due to the launch/flight properties of the Duo Pro compared to the FG Tour.

Aside from ball adjustments, it's set it and leave it.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

There's been many drivers that have attempted to knock it out of the bag, but I'm still gaming the SLDR 430 head I got on the TMaG trip when it was released.  The fitter there adjusted the loft and sliding weight, and I haven't touched it since.  I did swap out the whiteboard I was fit in to for a Ventus Black this year but I use the same loft setting as before.  It's taken 7 seasons but I'm slowly realizing this combo is as good as I can get for me in a driver.

Hey great to see your name pop up. You have had that driver forever!

It’s interesting in that the G410 Max that I’m gaming is very similar to the SLDR that I gamed for a couple of years. My only issue with that club was a lack of forgiveness. Every once in a while I’d hit a drive with so little spin that the ball just fell out of the sky.

I don’t have that issue with the Ping. I hadn’t thought of it until reading your post but I basically have it set in a similar way to the SLDR and it launches really high, 14-16, but the ball still carries down range nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I tried all the settings on the Titleist D2 913 with a diamana blue shaft and it did not make any difference 

My Callaway with a white tie XR-16 showed a  difference in height ( am a low ball hitter) which I really liked and distance to boot

My Cobra F-8 also no difference moving the settings , until I moved the weights, I placed the heavier weight in the heel and wow! 10 yards longer, but, was it the settings, the weight or the MRC Tensi CK blue shaft ? 

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

Oh I've been bad lately. I never used to but I started with the Ping LST. I think a good part of it comes with tinkering with swing path. Id get lazy and have a flat swing path and the ball would go low bullets, So, I'd bump it up and get a little higher flight, but then try to get a little higher backswing and then suddenly the ball is too high. Back and forth. Then I bought the SIM and I think I set it on every setting there was for a full round to get all kinds of flights. The bad part was I never really got any distance. so I got a MavSZ 9*. Thinking I needed a 10.5*, I bumped it up 2* before the first swing. First hit a sweet and I played a few rounds like that and was getting 5-10 yards more than ever before so I was happy. So, I also noticed I was getting real high flights as well, so I bumped it down 1* to a 10*, and that when the real big distance gains came, with a super nice flight. Its so good right now Im scared to try anything else at the moment haha. But Ive really been working on getting a better swing plane of late, so that could change any day...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

This might be a dumb question, but I'm not a club builder/tinkerer...lol. I have a couple of shafts I want to try in my TS3. I want to see what happens if shorten the shafts by 1/2" and 1". What weights do I need to keep the swing weight where it is now with a 45.5" shaft. 

I'm confused when I look at the  numbers for the weights from Titleist. As I understand it, 12 grams is the standard weight? So do I order weights that say +???  Why don't they just say how many grams they are instead of + whatever? 

If I shorten one of the shafts by .5" I would need a +3 to regain the swing weight? +6 for one inch?

This might be a dumb question, but I'm not a club builder/tinkerer...lol. I have a couple of shafts I want to try in my TS3. I want to see what happens if shorten the shafts by 1/2" and 1". What weights do I need to keep the swing weight where it is now with a 45.5" shaft. 

I'm confused when I look at the  numbers for the weights from Titleist. As I understand it, 12 grams is the standard weight? So do I order weights that say +???  Why don't they just say how many grams they are instead of + whatever? 

If I shorten one of the shafts by .5" I would need a +3 to regain the swing weight? +6 for one inch?

The default Titleist weight is labeled as STD. Therefore the plus is heavier and the minus is lighter.

Cutting 1/2” off the shaft reduces the swingweight by about 3 SW points. 1 swingweight point is about 2 grams.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

The default Titleist weight is labeled as STD. Therefore the plus is heavier and the minus is lighter.

Cutting 1/2” off the shaft reduces the swingweight by about 3 SW points. 1 swingweight point is about 2 grams.

Thanks. So I would need the +6 for 1/2"?

Thanks. So I would need the +6 for 1/2"?

Generally speaking yes, that should get the club back to the original swingweight.
Keep in mind that when trying different shafts with different grips you may alter the clubs swingweight just by those changes.

I don’t monkey around with the settings once I get it set. If I get fit whatever the fitter sets is what I set it at when I order it. 

with the sim max I blind bought it and played with settings based on what I saw on the range and then tweaked it after some course time and it hasn’t moved since

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1