Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Quick Review: 2017 TaylorMade M1 vs 2020 TaylorMade SIM

txgolfjunkie

I recently purchased a TM SIM 10.5* from a local golf shop and decided to compare it to my 2017 TM M1 10.5* on a simulator. Now, granted this is just one simulator session on a shaft I was properly fitted for in May 2019. While I would imagine there's a shaft that might be a little better than what I'm currently swinging, I don't expect to see eye-popping changes in my numbers. Regardless, I tested 2017 technology vs 2020 technology. 

Simulator: GC Quad

Shaft: Kiyoshi Black 65 05 tipped 1/2" - Playing length 44.5"

Ball: 2020 Bridgestone Tour B X

SIM setting: Std Loft, weight 1/3 out on toe.

M1 setting: Std Loft, weight 1/3 out on toe and 1/2 out to front of the club. 

I took 12 swings with each club and then averaged out the 6 best shots. I alternated club heads after every 4 swings. I warmed up for about 15 minutes and then got after it. 

IMO, the sound and looks/crown of the 2020 SIM is better than the 2017 M1, however I do enjoy being able to adjust the forward/back track on the M1.  

Here are my summarized results for the best 6 shots, including standard deviation:

2017 M1 10.5*

Ball Speed: 166.4mph (SD 2.1mph)

Launch: 12.1* (SD: 1.4*)

Backspin: 2210 rpm (SD: 459 rpm)

Descent Angle: 37.3* (SD: 4.1*)

Peak: 35yds (SD: 4 yds)

Carry: 293mph (SD: 8 yds)

2020 SIM 10.5*

Ball Speed: 164.5 mph (SD: 0.8 mph)

Launch: 13* (SD: 0.7*)

Backspin: 2182 rpm (SD: 140 rpm)

Descent Angle: 39* (SD 2.6*)

Peak: 38 yds (SD: 4 yds)

Carry: 293 yds (SD: 2 yds)

My summary: Yes, the SIM is a little more consistent across the board. BUT...I didn't see one single yard gained between 2017 technology and 2020 technology with every other variable constant. I'd still like to find ways to boost my ball speed with the SIM because I like the consistency. The M1 would carry anywhere from 285 to 301 while the SIM would carry anywhere from 291 to 295. I see other videos (like TXG) where they see 10+ yards difference in just 1 year technology (see TXG M5 vs SIM review video) and yet I get nothing extra. Different results for different folks. 

You would think I'd be crazy to hang on to the SIM since I see no yardage difference, and you're correct...I am in fact, crazy. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Thanks for sharing! I'm curious if you feel like your swing speed was consistent with both heads. Maybe just the comfort level with the M1 giving that extra gear on a couple of the swing?

2024 is the year of the short set!

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 11.5* stiff

Hybrid: PXG 0311 GEN5 19*

Irons: JustGolf Forged Blades (4, 6, 8, PW)

Wedge: 56* Forged Prototype

Putter: PXG Blackjack Center Shaft 34"

Bag: Sunday Golf Loma XL

Thanks for sharing! I'm curious if you feel like your swing speed was consistent with both heads. Maybe just the comfort level with the M1 giving that extra gear on a couple of the swing?

Very well could be and I still haven’t put the SIM in play outdoors. My club head speed with the M1 was 114.7mph and 114.0mph with the SIM. I do have that subconscious familiarity with the M1 so we'll see what happens with the SIM after a few rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • Lefty

There’s a good video that TXG did on YouTube earlier this year comparing SIM to 2017 M1 and 2016 M2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOW you tell me this?!? Hahaha if only I had seen this prior to my purchase. I just saw the one between the M5 and SIM. TXG makes some of the best comparison videos.

• Lefty

18 hours ago, txgolfjunkie said:

I recently purchased a TM SIM 10.5* from a local golf shop and decided to compare it to my 2017 TM M1 10.5* on a simulator. Now, granted this is just one simulator session on a shaft I was properly fitted for in May 2019. While I would imagine there's a shaft that might be a little better than what I'm currently swinging, I don't expect to see eye-popping changes in my numbers. Regardless, I tested 2017 technology vs 2020 technology. 

Simulator: GC Quad

Shaft: Kiyoshi Black 65 05 tipped 1/2" - Playing length 44.5"

Ball: 2020 Bridgestone Tour B X

SIM setting: Std Loft, weight 1/3 out on toe.

M1 setting: Std Loft, weight 1/3 out on toe and 1/2 out to front of the club. 

I took 12 swings with each club and then averaged out the 6 best shots. I alternated club heads after every 4 swings. I warmed up for about 15 minutes and then got after it. 

IMO, the sound and looks/crown of the 2020 SIM is better than the 2017 M1, however I do enjoy being able to adjust the forward/back track on the M1.  

Here are my summarized results for the best 6 shots, including standard deviation:

2017 M1 10.5*

Ball Speed: 166.4mph (SD 2.1mph)

Launch: 12.1* (SD: 1.4*)

Backspin: 2210 rpm (SD: 459 rpm)

Descent Angle: 37.3* (SD: 4.1*)

Peak: 35yds (SD: 4 yds)

Carry: 293mph (SD: 8 yds)

2020 SIM 10.5*

Ball Speed: 164.5 mph (SD: 0.8 mph)

Launch: 13* (SD: 0.7*)

Backspin: 2182 rpm (SD: 140 rpm)

Descent Angle: 39* (SD 2.6*)

Peak: 38 yds (SD: 4 yds)

Carry: 293 yds (SD: 2 yds)

My summary: Yes, the SIM is a little more consistent across the board. BUT...I didn't see one single yard gained between 2017 technology and 2020 technology with every other variable constant. I'd still like to find ways to boost my ball speed with the SIM because I like the consistency. The M1 would carry anywhere from 285 to 301 while the SIM would carry anywhere from 291 to 295. I see other videos (like TXG) where they see 10+ yards difference in just 1 year technology (see TXG M5 vs SIM review video) and yet I get nothing extra. Different results for different folks. 

You would think I'd be crazy to hang on to the SIM since I see no yardage difference, and you're correct...I am in fact, crazy. 

this is really cool ..could you put the m1 shaft on to the SIM head ? not sure they are compatible 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

this is really cool ..could you put the m1 shaft on to the SIM head ? not sure they are compatible 

That's the beauty of TM adapters, they've been the same for years. Anything from the SIM to the R15 and SLDR line use the same adapter.

• Lefty

On 9/14/2020 at 12:14 PM, txgolfjunkie said:

That's the beauty of TM adapters, they've been the same for years. Anything from the SIM to the R15 and SLDR line use the same adapter.

Even back to the R1 and RBZ Stage 2.

No matter what one might think of TM overall, when it comes to their adapter compatibility, they've done pretty well.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

On 9/14/2020 at 12:14 PM, txgolfjunkie said:

Exactly. I played my SLDR until the shifting weight finally bit the dust and then just got a SIM Head to go with my old Fubuki Shaft.

:titelist-small: TSr3 8* w/ Ventus Black 6X

:titelist-small: TSr3 15* w/ Ventus Black 7X

:ping-small: iCrossover 18* w/ Ventus Black 9X

:titelist-small: T100S 4 Iron - PW w/ Ventus Axiom 125X

:vokey-small: SM9 50 F-grind / 54 F-grind / 58 V-grind w/ True Temper Gold Onyx Tour S400

:scotty-cameron-1: Circle T Newport 35 Inch

:titelist-small: Pro V1

Vessel Player III DXR Stand Bag

• 7 months later...

Interesting. I actually just bought last years sim max d 9 degree. When comparing it to my m1 9.5, I just can’t get it to hit quite as well as the m1. I even have switched the two evenflow shafts I had with each, from the stock shaft, with the M1 winning every time. I might have to take them to a launch monitor before selling the Sim Max.