TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedge build for senior? Advice requested

csamsh

So here's an interesting-ish one...I searched but the situation is pretty specific and I couldn't find anything directly applicable. 

My dad (61 years old, driver SS ~80mph), was recently fit into a 56g graphite A flex set of sim irons.  Being the cheap SOB that he is, he found a used set of M2's with 55g A flex graphite shafts for a quarter of the price of new stuff. Not bad. 

Anyway- his set is 4-P and he wants a gap wedge and a sand wedge- I was thinking a 50 and a 56. I think it makes zero sense for him to keep playing 130g steel wedge shafts given the iron set makeup, and that he wants to take full swings with wedges.  I'll likely track some heads down and build him a couple clubs

So- given the parameters laid out, I was thinking some sort of 65-70ish gram A-flex shaft with a tendency for higher launch and spin, given what his shots look like.  Any recommendations? I was thinking of doing NV iron, KBS tgi, steelfiber, or maybe Fujikura vista iron.  

Thoughts?

PXG 0811 X/70S Ahina
Cobra F9 Tour/80S Diamana B
Mizuno MP18 FliHi (3) MMC (4-P)/Tensei White X
Maltby M Tour 50&58/KBS 610 125S+
Evnroll ER2.2
Snell MTBX

It's really a personal preference, but I like matching my wedge shafts to my iron shafts.  I like having a consistent feel throughout my set.  You could build them a couple swing weight points heavier if you want a heavier feel.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Not very many graphite wedge shafts available.  Paderson Kinetixx  is a nice one.  Otherwise get the 8 iron graphite shaft from whatever set he likes and cut it to length for the wedge you are trying to create.    

Tour Edge C723 8.0 MCA Tensei AV Blue Xlink 65S

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Tour Edge E723 21 degree MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid Fujikura Fuel 85g Stiff

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

On 9/13/2020 at 12:25 PM, csamsh said:

So here's an interesting-ish one...I searched but the situation is pretty specific and I couldn't find anything directly applicable. 

My dad (61 years old, driver SS ~80mph), was recently fit into a 56g graphite A flex set of sim irons.  Being the cheap SOB that he is, he found a used set of M2's with 55g A flex graphite shafts for a quarter of the price of new stuff. Not bad. 

Anyway- his set is 4-P and he wants a gap wedge and a sand wedge- I was thinking a 50 and a 56. I think it makes zero sense for him to keep playing 130g steel wedge shafts given the iron set makeup, and that he wants to take full swings with wedges.  I'll likely track some heads down and build him a couple clubs

So- given the parameters laid out, I was thinking some sort of 65-70ish gram A-flex shaft with a tendency for higher launch and spin, given what his shots look like.  Any recommendations? I was thinking of doing NV iron, KBS tgi, steelfiber, or maybe Fujikura vista iron.  

Thoughts?

I think I qualify as a senior (73) with SS mid- to high 80's.  I am currently using the 84g Nippon Zelos 8 regular flex steel shafts in my irons, but they are much more flexible than regular flex.  They are easy to launch high with a slower SS.  In my wedges 49, 54, and 60 I use KBS Tour 90 in regular flex, so at 94g they are quite a bit lighter than standard wedge shafts.  I like a heavier wedge because I don't make full swings with them and the added weight is useful out of rough and sand.  I am experimenting with lighter-weight graphite shafts in my irons, but I will keep the steel shafts in my wedges.

Based on my experience, I would think that your dad will drop the 4i and maybe even the 5i and replace with a couple of hybrids.  You will need to check the gap between the longest iron used and a hybrid because hybrids launch higher and carry further than irons.  I have found that depending on the hybrids selected, the next club up from a 5i is not necessarily a 4H but could be a 5H.  At our slower SS the gap between the longer clubs narrows; I'm currently using a 5H, 3H, 4W.  More clubs at the top of the bag are not necessary IMO.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2020 at 12:59 PM, Kenny B said:

I think I qualify as a senior (73) with SS mid- to high 80's.  I am currently using the 84g Nippon Zelos 8 regular flex steel shafts in my irons, but they are much more flexible than regular flex.  They are easy to launch high with a slower SS.  In my wedges 49, 54, and 60 I use KBS Tour 90 in regular flex, so at 94g they are quite a bit lighter than standard wedge shafts.  I like a heavier wedge because I don't make full swings with them and the added weight is useful out of rough and sand.  I am experimenting with lighter-weight graphite shafts in my irons, but I will keep the steel shafts in my wedges.

Based on my experience, I would think that your dad will drop the 4i and maybe even the 5i and replace with a couple of hybrids.  You will need to check the gap between the longest iron used and a hybrid because hybrids launch higher and carry further than irons.  I have found that depending on the hybrids selected, the next club up from a 5i is not necessarily a 4H but could be a 5H.  At our slower SS the gap between the longer clubs narrows; I'm currently using a 5H, 3H, 4W.  More clubs at the top of the bag are not necessary IMO.

I'm liking the KBS Hi-Rev G graphite shaft with the MD CB Wedge.

You could order him a couple of SM8 Vokeys with Fubuki MV IR shafts in either 48 or 55 grams. These are stock options for Titleist this year.

:titelist-small: TSi2 9.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3 15 / 18.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3H 20° (set for 22)

:titelist-small: CNCPT 5i-48°

:vokey-small: SM8 52° / 58°

:cameron-small: Fastback 1.0 Circle T