TESTERS WANTED! ×

Forgiving Fairway Woods (Metals)

Hoganman1

I really struggle with fairway woods off the deck. It's the weakest part of my game. I'm not very long off the tee and my group plays a 6250 yard set of tees. There are several par fours where I need a fairway wood for my approach. I know it's probably my technique in that I have always been a sweeper. I'm fine when I tee up the ball but very inconsistent off the grass. I know that today's fairways are different and one is supposed to hit down on the ball. Some even recommend taking a divot. I currently play a TM 2017 M2 16.5* HL Three and an 18* Five. I plan to start working at the range to improve my technique , but I wonder if there are other brands of fairways out there that might help me.

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

I really struggle with fairway woods off the deck. It's the weakest part of my game. I'm not very long off the tee and my group plays a 6250 yard set of tees. There are several par fours where I need a fairway wood for my approach. I know it's probably my technique in that I have always been a sweeper. I'm fine when I tee up the ball but very inconsistent off the grass. I know that today's fairways are different and one is supposed to hit down on the ball. Some even recommend taking a divot. I currently play a TM 2017 M2 16.5* HL Three and an 18* Five. I plan to start working at the range to improve my technique , but I wonder if there are other brands of fairways out there that might help me.

First suggestion would have been 4 wood but you are already doing that.

You didn’t specify what you in inconsistency is, but you best option is practice and learning technique. Sweeping the ball is fine and will work for fairway woods.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Agreed that practice and improving technique is always point one, but outside of that, were you fit into your current fairway woods or buy them off the rack? I'd say if you are looking to purchase something else, a professional fitting will really be key as a good one can find the right club for your swing profile. Won't make it so you don't need to put a good swing on the ball, but at least you won't wind up with a wood that expects you to hit down on it when that's not your game.

2024 is the year of the short set!

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 11.5* stiff

Hybrid: PXG 0311 GEN5 19*

Irons: JustGolf Forged Blades (4, 6, 8, PW)

Wedge: 56* Forged Prototype

Putter: PXG Blackjack Center Shaft 34"

Bag: Sunday Golf Loma XL

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

First suggestion would have been 4 wood but you are already doing that.

You didn’t specify what you in inconsistency is, but you best option is practice and learning technique. Sweeping the ball is fine and will work for fairway woods.

My issue is occasionally cold topping the shot. Of course, I can usually recover except when there is a forced carry. Also, downhill lies are a problem. I think you're right. "It's not the arrow; it's the archer". I just need to work harder at the range and hit my four iron until I can fix it.

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

My issue is occasionally cold topping the shot. Of course, I can usually recover except when there is a forced carry. Also, downhill lies are a problem. I think you're right. "It's not the arrow; it's the archer". I just need to work harder at the range and hit my four iron until I can fix it.

Based on what you listed as inconsistencies, it is more than likely technique. It could be club, but I’d start with working in the swing. Search through the forum@chisag posted some tips on how to improve fairway wood contact. The title of his tip threads is something like Chisag’s tip of the day #.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

13 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

Sounds like we have similar issues.  I'm playing a TaylorMade RBZ 3HL fairway wood which is OK off flat or uphill lies, but problematic on downhill lies.  It is a matter of technique, and unfortunately for me there is no place to practice those lies on the range.  I can only do it on the course... which I do.  One thing that does work for downhill lies is more loft.  My next club is a 19º 3H.  If you don't have a fast swing, more loft on a downhill lie will go further than less loft.

Also, I've found that a hybrid swings more like an iron off these lies, and it's easier to take a shallow divot and gets the ball up more than a fairway wood.  I have even had good luck with a 2H which is commonly 17º.  A fairway wood has a longer sole than a hybrid, and on a downhill lie the back of the club can hit the turf before the leading edge... result is a low or topped shot.  Practice keeping your weight forward helps.

Best of luck working it out.  My course has lots of downhill lies in the fairway, so I've had to find a solution that works for me.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Practice is never a bad thing. Wish I could hit more balls myself. My suggestion would be to just avoid using a 3 wood from a downhill lie. You don't even see the pros do it very often. It's a low percentage shot and difficult to pull off. Even a 4 iron from a downhill lie is difficult. Either use a shorter iron or a fairway wood with more left. On a downhill lie, more loft is very much your friend.

On 9/14/2020 at 8:39 AM, Hoganman1 said:

I currently play a TM 2017 M2 16.5* HL Three and an 18* Five. I plan to start working at the range to improve my technique , but I wonder if there are other brands of fairways out there that might help me.

I can tell you that my switch from Callaway WB to the PING G400 was very significant with respect to reliable hitting. My initial impression of these flat profile looking style fairway woods was that they would be difficult to hit and particularly off really short and heavy turf.  That has not been the case.  I have both the 3w and 5w SFT model and, while they aren't the longest, they are very easy to hit and yield reliable ball flight and distance.  Your M2 looks to be a similar profile, so it's likely technique.

I suspect your "topping" issue on downhill lies is what @Kenny Bsuggests.  It's tough for most of us to get opportunities to work on odd lies - particularly in the long clubs.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 9/14/2020 at 4:39 PM, Hoganman1 said:

As others said, swing changes are probably your best bet but if you are looking at the gear alone, there are a couple of options.

I fixed my height issue I had using 16,5* Taylormade '17 M2 with second hand Taylormade M5 fairway wood. That 60g weight plate really helps with increasing the launch and option of lofting the club up 2* is a bonus. The club head of the M5 is smaller than the newest SIM Ti with similar technology (as far as weighting goes) but that was exactly what I was looking for. With my previous 2017 M2 fairway wood I always had a fear in the back of my head that extended back will hit or at least graze the ground (silly, I know) and with M5 I have absolutely no fear of doing that. Some would despute the forgiveness factor of M5 but I had no problems with it. I love that club and it is not going anywhere anytime soon.

If you are looking at other brands, you cannot ignore PING and Cobra fairways. The regular versions tend to launch the ball the highest. Just my 0.02$.

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

I’ve been fighting similar problems for years.  Finally found the solution for me this year.  

My solution: Tour Edge XCG7 21 degree 7 wood for off the fairway and a shaft change in my Tour Edge EX10 16.5 degree 4 wood to match the 7 wood has made all the difference. The shaft is the Fujikura Fuel 60 Stiff.  The 4 wood is great off the tee, still low from the fairway.  Also changed my Titleist 818 H1 21 degree hybrid with the Mitsubishi Tensei Blue to the Titleist 818H1 25 degree with Tensei Red stiff shaft. 

These changes have given me higher launch, more carry and equal or greater distance.  I’m not afraid to try a long shot with a carry over a hazard anymore where before I always would lay up.

Bought all of the clubs as new old stock and cost less than $150 with shipping, tax and new head covers.

Tour Edge C723 8.0 MCA Tensei AV Blue Xlink 65S

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Tour Edge E723 21 degree MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid Fujikura Fuel 85g Stiff

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

The Taylormade M2 fairway woods are an okay options but I would find a fitter to get their opinion on their fit. You may find that shortening the woods a little could help significantly. I've also found swing weight to be an issue when topping fairway woods. Throw some lead tape on the bottom and see if a higher SW helps. The other option is trying a new wood that is designed with a low COG. The Maltby stf2 fairway wood paks are cheap if you just want to experiment with something new.

Most of all I would suggest seeing a fitter. Yes, it could certainly be your swing but fairway woods and drivers are the two hardest to fit clubs as there are so many variables in shafts and weights that could have a material impact on how the club plays. If you're trying to be frugal, order some lead tape or squares and give them a try. A little extra head weight can go a long way in reducing topped shots and lead tape isn't permanent if you don't like it. I also highly suggest looking at shortening your 3-wood if you can't control it. Most stock 3-woods are 43.5" or longer and that is simply too long for most average golfers to control. One inch may not sound like much but it can make a huge difference to feel and confidence. Best of luck.