Our Sponsors

Major #2 of 2020 is upon us. This time it's the 120th running of the United States Open. We're back at Winged Foot for the 6th time and first since the infamous 2006 U.S. Open, site of Phil Mickelson's 18th hole meltdown that resulted in Geoff Ogilvy winning his first and only major. Ogilvy's winning score for the week was +5 and it's looking like par will be hard to break again this week with the utterly gnarly rough, narrow fairways and speedy greens already on hand.

The West course is set to play just under 7,500 yards this week as a Par 70 (Par 72 for regular play). The Par 5s for the week are listed at 575 and 633 yards respectively. The shortest and only Par 3 listed under 200 yards is the 7th hole, coming in at 162 yards. The remaining par 3s are listed at 243, 214, and 212 yards. Lots of lengthy Par 4s the rest of the way, with only 2 holes coming in under 400 yards -- the 321 yard 6th hole and the 384 yard 11th hole. Expect to see some attempts to drive the green on 6.

Dustin Johnson comes in the favourite off his win at the FedEx Cup and picked up the Player of the Year as voted by his peers for last season. Gary Woodland is the defending champion. Recent king of U.S. Opens, Brooks Koepka remains out with a knee injury.

Should be an interesting tournament. I hope the USGA got the setup right on this one. Seems like an easier course not to mess up like Shinnecock or Chambers Bay or Erin Hills, so we should be good to go.

Any thoughts/predictions?

My prediction for the week is Bryson DeChambeau or Tony Finau for the win.

Enjoy the tournament everyone.2020_U.S._Open_(golf)_logo.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3
  • Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not exactly Nostradamus, there dumbass! Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Well, I’ve gained 10 pounds and working on a degree in Biblical studies... pretty much the same. 😂😂

You have no idea how happy this post makes me. There are always two sides to a story. It’s why I don’t root based on so-called character - we can’t know these guys for real unless we happen too. I

Posted Images

Somewhat confusing viewing set-up this year.  Thought some may find this helpful.

Television

Thursday, September 17: 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m. ET (Golf Channel); 2-5 p.m. ET (NBC)
Friday, September 18: 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. ET (Golf Channel); 4-7 p.m. ET (NBC)
Saturday, September 19: 11 a.m. -7:30 p.m. ET (NBC)
Sunday, September 20: 10 a.m.-12 p.m. ET (Golf Channel); 12-6 p.m. ET (NBC)

Streaming

Thursday, September 17
First Round (TV coverage): 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m. ET (Golfchannel.com)
First Round (TV Coverage): 2-5 p.m. ET (NBCSports.com)
First Round (Online only): 5-7 p.m. ET (Peacock)
Featured Groups (Online only): 7:55 a.m.-6:30 p.m. ET (usopen.com)
Featured Holes (Online only): 8:10 a.m.-6:45 p.m. ET (usopen.com)

Friday, September 18
Second Round (Online only): 7:30-9:30 a.m. ET (Peacock)
Second Round (TV Coverage): 9:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. ET (Golfchannel.com)
Second Round (Online only): 4-7 p.m. ET (NBCSports.com)
Featured Groups (Online only): 7:55 a.m.-6:30 p.m. ET (usopen.com)

Saturday, September 19
Third Round (Online only): 9-11 a.m. ET (Peacock)
Third Round (Online only): 11 a.m.-7:30 p.m.ET (NBCSports.com)
Featured Groups (Online only): 8 a.m.-6:30 p.m. ET (usopen.com)

Sunday, September 20
Final Round (Online only): 8-10 a.m. ET (Peacock)
Final Round (TV Coverage): 10 a.m.-12 p.m. ET (Golfchannel.com)
Final Round (Online only): 12-6 p.m.ET (NBCSports.com)
Featured Groups (Online only): 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m. ET (usopen.com)
Featured Holes (Online only): 8 a.m.-5 p.m. ET (usopen.com)

• Like 6
15 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Major #2 of 2020 is upon us. This time it's the 120th running of the United States Open. We're back at Winged Foot for the 6th time and first since the infamous 2006 U.S. Open, site of Phil Mickelson's 18th hole meltdown that resulted in Geoff Ogilvy winning his first and only major. Ogilvy's winning score for the week was +5 and it's looking like par will be hard to break again this week with the utterly gnarly rough, narrow fairways and speedy greens already on hand.

The West course is set to play just under 7,500 yards this week as a Par 70 (Par 72 for regular play). The Par 5s for the week are listed at 575 and 633 yards respectively. The shortest and only Par 3 listed under 200 yards is the 7th hole, coming in at 162 yards. The remaining par 3s are listed at 243, 214, and 212 yards. Lots of lengthy Par 4s the rest of the way, with only 2 holes coming in under 400 yards -- the 321 yard 6th hole and the 384 yard 11th hole. Expect to see some attempts to drive the green on 6.

Dustin Johnson comes in the favourite off his win at the FedEx Cup and picked up the Player of the Year as voted by his peers for last season. Gary Woodland is the defending champion. Recent king of U.S. Opens, Brooks Koepka remains out with a knee injury.

Should be an interesting tournament. I hope the USGA got the setup right on this one. Seems like an easier course not to mess up like Shinnecock or Chambers Bay or Erin Hills, so we should be good to go.

Any thoughts/predictions?

My prediction for the week is Bryson DeChambeau or Tony Finau for the win.

Enjoy the tournament everyone.2020_U.S._Open_(golf)_logo.jpeg

Good intro write up!

Rumor has it the rough is insane this week, makes me really hesitant to take folks on the less accurate side off the tee. 

Love DJ, Rahm, Morikawa, Matsuyama and Fleetwood this week. Staying away from Bryson, Tiger, Phil, and Rory myself.

Can't wait to watch!

• Like 3

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-3) :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52° & 60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

The West Course will be set up as a par 70, with a Course Rating of 76.9 and a Slope Rating of 146. In other words – crazy difficult.

I heard on PGA Tour Radio last week that someone place a $25K bet on Phil.  Phil commented that he hoped he had a 3 shot lead going into #18 on Sunday.  🤣

I hope Phil gets the win, but unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen.  Going to take accurate driving and a great short game.  I'm going with the Spainish duo... either Raum or Sergio.

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm assuming the rough will be cut once more, but seeing some pictures early this week that you can only see the top of some tall boys that were placed in the rough is nasty! Whoever can keep it in the fairway will be at the top of the leaderboard come Sunday.

My picks:

1) Xander Schauffele - if it wasn't for the staggered start at the Tour Championship, Xander would have won. I'm riding that momentum.

2) Jon Rahm - He found a way to be a the top of the leaderboard at some of the hardest courses played since the restart (The Memorial, the PGA championship, and the BMW) He will be up there on Sunday, I hope.

3) Matthew Fitzpatrick - *Sleeper Pick*, just a gut feeling. As long as he doesn't shoot a 77-80 on the first round, I like his chances.

• Like 3

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver

:adams-small: GT Tight Lies 3 & 5 wood

:taylormade-small: SLDR AW - 4 iron S flex

:cleveland-small: Rotex 2.0 RTX 588 56°

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 08M 60°

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

The West Course will be set up as a par 70, with a Course Rating of 76.9 and a Slope Rating of 146. In other words – crazy difficult.

I heard on PGA Tour Radio last week that someone place a $25K bet on Phil.  Phil commented that he hoped he had a 3 shot lead going into #18 on Sunday.  🤣

I hope Phil gets the win, but unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen.  Going to take accurate driving and a great short game.  I'm going with the Spainish duo... either Raum or Sergio.

Phil probably placed that bet on himself....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver

:adams-small: GT Tight Lies 3 & 5 wood

:taylormade-small: SLDR AW - 4 iron S flex

:cleveland-small: Rotex 2.0 RTX 588 56°

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 08M 60°

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

The rough is brutal. They cut it for the last time for the week yesterday. Doubt they took more than an inch off. Will be a gnarly 6 inches or more by tournament start. Balls are just disappearing in it.

Good intro write up!
Rumor has it the rough is insane this week, makes me really hesitant to take folks on the less accurate side off the tee. 
Love DJ, Rahm, Morikawa, Matsuyama and Fleetwood this week. Staying away from Bryson, Tiger, Phil, and Rory myself.
Can't wait to watch!

• Like 1

The winner will have to have a great all-around game but driving will be critical.  I don't believe the bomb and gougers will be overly successful this week.  I will take Xander Schauffele for the win and Paul Casey for my dark-horse.  Both are coming into the US Open in excellent form.

• Like 3

Another putter change from Tiger this week.

No, no, don't worry it's still the trusty Scotty, or not so trusty as of late, in the bag but gone is the Ping Blackout grip that's been a staple for him in his professional career and on comes a very old, but new Lamkin Deep Etched Pistol grip. It's a return to the Amateur and Junior Amateur days for Tiger it seems as he used cord and etched grips on his putter in those years.

13 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

That is literally insane haha. The hardest setup I've ever played was 73/137 and I barely broke 100, I can't even imagine how difficult the course is going to be this week!

• Like 1

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Interesting pairings:

The ASU group:  Phil, Raum and Casey
The OSU group:  Rickie, Wolff and Hovland

In addition to the Bryson, DJ, and Finau bomber group, the McIlroy, Scott, and Rose group will also be fun to follow.  Adam Scott could do very well here following in the footsteps of another Aussie here... Olgilvy.  

EDIT:  They also put the Canadians together, so at least the speak the same language, eh?

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Looks like it will be a very tough week. Will be interesting to see if any of the longer players take the 3 wood which for some still gets out the about 300 to hit closer to 75% of fairways say. Rough is gonna be a one shot penalty all week, the strokes gained from hitting the fairway this week are gonna be off the charts. I like Dustin just with the length he could take shorter clubs go hit the fairways, plus he won at one of the other hardest US open tracks.

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

I’m taking Phil for the grand slam. I think he has been sand bagging a little.  If not him... I feel like you can take your pick from Canada or Australia.  Maybe Greg Norman will come out of retirement and dress up like Cam Smith and win it all.

• Like 1

I need Xander to win so that I win the Callaway contest. The contest is buy a Callaway driver and if the Callaway staffer selected wins, you get the driver paid for. Except it is a law that there needs to be a "no purchase necessary" process for entry, so I didn't buy anything, just read the fine print and sent a letter with my pick.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

7 hours ago, ncwoz said:

Good intro write up!

Can't wait to watch!

+ 6 wins this week. yea, the rough is nasty.

• Like 1

:mizuno-small: Irons: Mizuno MP53 Stiff/standard 

:mizuno-small: Hybrid: 4I

:ping-small: Driver: Ping G25 9 degree, stiff

:cleveland-small: Wedges: 52, 56, 60

:scotty-cameron-1: Select Roundback 2014

Good intro write up!
Can't wait to watch!

That’s a pretty safe prediction and I like all of them. I’m not so sure w Tommy Fleetwood though.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I’m taking Morikawa, the guys’ iron game is incredible.

• Like 3

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

6 minutes ago, Rickp said:

That’s a pretty safe prediction and I like all of them. I’m not so sure w Tommy Fleetwood though.

I agree, he hasn't had quite the success others have had since the restart. Admittedly I'm taking him just cuz I think his game lines up with the course well, but we'll see what happens!

• Like 1

Right Handed