TESTERS WANTED! ×

The 120th U.S. Open

FrogginBullfish

2 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Imagine if Wolff wins this thing tomorrow and our first two major winners of 2020 are Morikawa and Wolff. We'd just need Hovland to win the Masters for the trifecta.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Sooooooo, which Oklahoma State player win a major first...  Wolff, Hovland, or    Rickie?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

So Wolff and DeChambeau are coming together again with the chance to win a tournament, this time a major. This is the 3rd time now they've battled against each other for a tournament win. They each have one win.

Should be a fun afternoon. I've got a feeling -3 will be the winning score or score to get into a playoff. We'll see how wrong I end up being tomorrow evening lol.

Hell of a round from Wolff today. I'd be happy to see either of him or Bryson win, personally, but I'm pulling for Bryson. He's already shown everyone all the work he's done in the gym has paid off, but a major win in the second one he's played since? Talk about vindication. I'd personally love to see it happen.

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Much as it pains me to go against Rickie, Wolff is my pick. Not saying he'll win tomorrow but I think of the 3 he'll be the first to breakthrough.

Sooooooo, which Oklahoma State player win a major first...  Wolff, Hovland, or    Rickie?

26 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

If Rickie wins this event, I'll wear a cowboy hat while playing and practicing for a year 🤣.  Nothing against Matthew or Viktor, but I want to see Rickie get his first... first.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Interesting commentary from Brendan Chamblee about Bryson's "transformation"; and that he essentially "took a page out of the South Korean playbook" as it relates to training.  I thought that was pretty interesting. BD definitely thinks out of the box and looking to how they have become so dominant is smart.  They also mentioned that he has the attention of the R&G and USGA and they will be making changes in 2021 as it pertains to the distance discussion/debate... though this predates Brysons recent distance gains.

I saw something earlier in the week where it seems it's only a matter of time before Bryson brings a 48" driver into play. Sounded like he's just waiting on LA Golf Shafts to get him a driver shaft at 48" that's as consistent as his current one is at 45.5".

So try as the governing bodies may to rein him in, I don't think they're going to be successful in taking his distance advantage away or much of his distance in general, if they do rein the ball in.

Interesting commentary from Brendan Chamblee about Bryson's "transformation"; and that he essentially "took a page out of the South Korean playbook" as it relates to training.  I thought that was pretty interesting. BD definitely thinks out of the box and looking to how they have become so dominant is smart.  They also mentioned that he has the attention of the R&G and USGA and they will be making changes in 2021 as it pertains to the distance discussion/debate... though this predates Brysons recent distance gains.

10 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Like Harding Park, this week shows once again that tighter fairways and a deep second cut of rough everywhere (fairways and around greens) brings all the pros down a notch no matter how far they hit the ball - as MGS has suggested instead of dialing the ball back. Being a bomber doesn’t help much out of 4-6” rough. Wish the R&A and USGA would at least try it at more/all tournament courses...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

It's really been interesting to see some of the dichotomy in thought process behind what a good course setup is between "American" thinking and "British" thinking.

Feherty said he expected plenty of complaining about the course in advance of the tournament starting... Don't know about you, but I'm still waiting to hear anyone of note complain about the course this week.

But that didn't stop a prominent golf journalist from the UK to say the USGA F'd up the setup again after Friday's round, which got a response from Lee Westwood saying they had it perfect on Thursday. Which is interesting cause it was apparently perfect when Lee had a good round, but not perfect when he shot 6 over. Play better golf Lee, lol.

I've been highly critical of the USGA in recent years over the fiascos they've created with garbage course setup, but I'll be the first to tip my cap to them this week. They got it right. The course is brutally tough but there are scores to be had if you play extremely well. It's asking the questions the US Open is supposed to. It may be being answered slightly differently, Wolff hit 2 or 3 fairways all day today and shot 65, but otherwise it's been an extremely challenging but fair test of golf. That's what a US Open is meant to be. It wasn't like that for a few too many years this past decade, but this week has been exactly that.

Like Harding Park, this week shows once again that tighter fairways and a deep second cut of rough everywhere (fairways and around greens) brings all the pros down a notch no matter how far they hit the ball - as MGS has suggested instead of dialing the ball back. Being a bomber doesn’t help much out of 4-6” rough. Wish the R&A and USGA would at least try it at more/all tournament courses...

6 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

The sandcastle making aside, in the interviews I've seen with Reed, he dosen't seem unlikeable to me.  Does he have some dirty laundry in the bag, yup... as we all do.  He hasn't even made this "most arrogant golfers" list... come on Patrick, step it up man 🙂.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1700924-ranking-the-10-most-arrogant-golfers-of-all-time

No live coverage for me until the replay later this afternoon.  So, I'm watching the much needed rain outside and Jim Furyk be a bully at The Pure Championship.

It is a cumulative thing    https://golf.com/news/tournaments/a-brief-history-of-patrick-reeds-highs-and-controversial-lows/

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST MaxRogue ST Max 3, 5 & 7 Wooda 
Irons -      Rogue ST MAX OS  5 - AW
Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*  

Putter -    ER2
Rangefinder -  NX9 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Soft Drip

Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

First person in the clubhouse at even...

Hope it’s Xander

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

11 hours ago, sixcat said:

I honestly think most people dislike Patrick Reed because that’s what all the cool kids are doing!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I don’t like him purely because he cheats.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Let's go Wolff! Seems like a pretty chill kid. Quirky swing, doing his thing, pulling for him to stay in front.

I'll be honest Bryson is the only guy in the top 10 I don't like. Don't be a jerk to regular people.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

While I agree with you the current standings are not helping our cause. Those are two of the longest if not the 2 longest players in the field leading the way.

Perhaps it’s so tight that accuracy is being negated and so it’s far easier to hit greens or get back in position with wedge out of the rough than 8 iron.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, revkev said:

While I agree with you the current standings are not helping our cause. Those are two of the longest if not the 2 longest players in the field leading the way.

Perhaps it’s so tight that accuracy is being negated and so it’s far easier to hit greens or get back in position with wedge out of the rough than 8 iron.

I am using the scores to make my case. When few are under par, it’s a good test. When the winner is 30 under, it’s almost a joke IMO.

And no matter what they do with equipment or balls, some players will be significantly longer than others. Scoring is the better metric to me. YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I tee off at 2 today, so I may not catch much of the final round, but I’ll be sporting my Winged Foot FJ polo while I play. A friend got it for me when he played there. I’d love to see this place in-person one day!

58B87195-FF22-4D57-93A0-209F6E23872D.jpeg

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

3 hours ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Let's go Wolff! Seems like a pretty chill kid. Quirky swing, doing his thing, pulling for him to stay in front.

I'll be honest Bryson is the only guy in the top 10 I don't like. Don't be a jerk to regular people.

Take Dead Aim

His swing is fun to watch though with how goofy it is

I tee off at 2 today, so I may not catch much of the final round, but I’ll be sporting my Winged Foot FJ polo while I play. A friend got it for me when he played there. I’d love to see this place in-person one day!

58B87195-FF22-4D57-93A0-209F6E23872D.jpeg.d0a3a1aa1f509e75245dfeb445f6e592.jpeg

If you ever get the chance to play a Winged Foot, Shinnecock etc DO IT!
I played WF after 97 PGA during my “Empty Suit Days”.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Accuracy is down big time this week. The field is averaging only 39% of fairways hit.

Wolff is only hitting 29% of fairways for the week. He's been on a downward trend all week too, 43%, 29%, and 14% through 3 rounds.

Bryson's at 40% for the week after hitting 50% of fairways the first two rounds and 21% in the third round. He said one of his anatomical swing governors was out of whack yesterday, his left arm in this case, so he spent a long time on the range trying to figure it out afterwards. Last guy on the property last night. Left well after 8pm. We'll see if it paid off for him.

Wolff's been killing the ball off the tee this week and even with his 29% accuracy, he's gained 2.22 strokes on the field off the tee through 3 rounds. From Tee to Green he's gained 12.79 strokes on the field. Bryson's gained 4.1 strokes on the field off the tee and 12.87 strokes Tee to Green. The top two guys on the leaderboard have gained nearly 13 strokes on the field from Tee to Green and they're, as you say, two of the longest hitters in the field.

So yeah, I don't think your theory is wrong necessarily. Jason Sobel postulated a similar idea on Twitter last night.

Anybody venturing onto Twitter is a brave soul. Between “Woke Golf Twitter”, Matt Ginella, Peter Kessler and the talking heads, it was more than I could stand.

After this weekend, I’m strongly considering the “flip phone” challenge!

4 hours ago, revkev said:

Perhaps it’s so tight that accuracy is being negated

I can't remember where I saw it, but the shorter guys are missing fairways almost as often as the bombers. Would you rather hit from that rough with a wedge or an 8 iron?

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

2 hours ago, Middler said:

I am using the scores to make my case. When few are under par, it’s a good test. When the winner is 30 under, it’s almost a joke IMO.

And no matter what they do with equipment or balls, some players will be significantly longer than others. Scoring is the better metric to me. YMMV

So if par was 72 and everyone is 6 shots better after 3 rounds, is it still a good test? Par is a measuring stick, in no way does it mean a tournament is good or bad. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

59 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Anybody venturing onto Twitter is a brave soul. Between “Woke Golf Twitter”, Matt Ginella, Peter Kessler and the talking heads, it was more than I could stand.

After this weekend, I’m strongly considering the “flip phone” challenge!

Hahaha I've done it and had no problem with it if I could just play pandora off of it I would make the permanent switch. Twitter is the devil if you ask me.

His swing is fun to watch though with how goofy it is
He is, was fun to watch him during that TM charity event a few months back.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Hahaha I've done it and had no problem with it if I could just play pandora off of it I would make the permanent switch. Twitter is the devil if you ask me.

Spotify is literally the only reason I haven’t done it yet.

3 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I can't remember where I saw it, but the shorter guys are missing fairways almost as often as the bombers. Would you rather hit from that rough with a wedge or an 8 iron?

Yea, if you cannot offset the long not very accurate hitters with high FIR's, I guess my choice would be a bomber.  On a good many courses, you can essentially fly past the tree groves, sand traps, water, etc. that the course designers, way back then, had in store for us. 

Bryson dumps an Eagle well Wolffie says he can do it to

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Wish I was home watching this and not at work...

Pulling big time for Bryson here. 3 shot lead through 11. Let's go.