Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The 120th U.S. Open

FrogginBullfish

Wolff is no pushover but BAD was at a different Level today.
There’s going to be some “soul searching” this off season.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Boy, great round of golf and Bryson is no doubt gonna be around for a while. But yeesh, that post round interview with him was painful. I have absolutely no issues with how he's approaching the game, but the "I'm so smart, let me show everybody the big words I know" shtick definitely rubs me wrong

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

So very nice tournament and great win for BAD. I wonder deep down which one piece of information/swing thought/strategy tweak, etc contributed the most to his success this weekend? Was it his chat w/Phil M. regarding the short game or his Sat late evening driver - driving range session? I know there were several things that contributed to his success and win but regarding this past week I just wonder what one thing/piece of advice, etc. had the most impact?

I don't think he's trying to show off how smart he is. It seems more to me that that is just the way he's wired. It's just how he thinks about things. I get that it might come across that way, you're not the only one sharing that opinion, but I don't think he actually has any intent to lord his intelligence over anyone.

It seems he, like sixcat mentioned about Patrick Reed, is just really misunderstood. I've seen a lot of people talk about how genuine and how nice and down to earth he is. They also have all said Bryson talks the way he does in press conferences in regular conversation. It's just who he is.

Boy, great round of golf and Bryson is no doubt gonna be around for a while. But yeesh, that post round interview with him was painful. I have absolutely no issues with how he's approaching the game, but the "I'm so smart, let me show everybody the big words I know" shtick definitely rubs me wrong

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

Wolff is no pushover but BAD was at a different Level today.
There’s going to be some “soul searching” this off season.

There's an off season??  I think some of the big names found out last year that if they skip all of the early events before the first of the year, then they are playing FedEX catch up in the majors and playoffs.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Some interesting stats about Bryson's win this week...

https://golf.com/news/6-stats-prove-bryson-dechambeau-u-s-open/

The 48" driver experiment is officially a go...

I saw something earlier in the week where it seems it's only a matter of time before Bryson brings a 48" driver into play. Sounded like he's just waiting on LA Golf Shafts to get him a driver shaft at 48" that's as consistent as his current one is at 45.5".

So try as the governing bodies may to rein him in, I don't think they're going to be successful in taking his distance advantage away or much of his distance in general, if they do rein the ball in.

Bryson's SG totals for the week...

SG: Total - 22.37
SG: Tee to Green - 17.78
SG: Off the Tee - 5.38
SG: Approach - 6.98
SG: Around the Green - 5.42
SG: Putting - 4.59

Pretty evenly distributed across all facets of the game. A rather complete victory.

Some interesting stats about Bryson's win this week...

https://golf.com/news/6-stats-prove-bryson-dechambeau-u-s-open/

Credit where credit is due.
I really don't like this guy and was rootingn for Wolff, but you gotta admire Bryson's work ethic... hitting balls after 8pm after 3 tournament days... how bad do you want it? Don't think you see many tour players doing that...

Congratz, well played!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

6 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Bryson's SG totals for the week...

SG: Total - 22.37
SG: Tee to Green - 17.78
SG: Off the Tee - 5.38
SG: Approach - 6.98
SG: Around the Green - 5.42
SG: Putting - 4.59

Pretty evenly distributed across all facets of the game. A rather complete victory.

Hopefully this doesn't get lost in the shuffle! So many people have just focused on Bryson's long game, but the reason he won is because he was on point with his entire game, not just off the tee

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

What's the odds on the USGA revising the timeline on the distance study?  And that study leading to equipment changes?

Just my opinion but given Bryson's personality, he may just be the driving force that pushes the USGA to make equipment changes.  In the same vein as Keegan Bradley, Webb Simpson, Ernie Els and Adam Scott winning majors led to the ban of the anchored putter. 

My other take-a-way from last week.  Given the last five US Open winners have been DJ, Koepka, Koepka, Woodland and DeChambeau, can we finally agree tighter fairways and longer rough are NOT a defense for bomb and gouge?  It actually increases their chances as Koepka has pointed out on several occasions.

There's definitely a crossover point where narrow fairways ends up hurting shorter hitters more. This week proved to be an example of that.

Marty Jertson of Ping kind of put it perfectly the other day. "When the fairways are this hard to hit, hitting fairways hardly matters."

My other take-a-way from last week.  Given the last five US Open winners have been DJ, Koepka, Koepka, Woodland and DeChambeau, can we finally agree tighter fairways and longer rough are NOT a defense for bomb and gouge?  It actually increases their chances as Koepka has pointed out on several occasions.

There's definitely a crossover point where narrow fairways ends up hurting shorter hitters more. This week proved to be an example of that.

Marty Jertson of Ping kind of put it perfectly the other day. "When the fairways are this hard to hit, hitting fairways hardly matters."

The problem with the long rough is that it is all over. You won’t stop the bombers, but if you could bring the short
hitters closer to the bombers you might even things out.

Long rough and narrow slow fairways past 280. Short rough and wider fast fairways before that.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

"If they want to Tiger-proof it, there is a way.  Use the ladies' tees, eliminate all the rough, put pins in the easiest locations and widen the fairways.  That brings everybody in the field into the tournament and I guarantee you, Tiger wouldn't win!"  ~Earl Woods circa 2002~

49 minutes ago, sixcat said:

"If they want to Tiger-proof it, there is a way.  Use the ladies' tees, eliminate all the rough, put pins in the easiest locations and widen the fairways.  That brings everybody in the field into the tournament and I guarantee you, Tiger wouldn't win!"  ~Earl Woods circa 2002~

THIS would be AWESOME.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I’m already tired of hearing Rory, and others who kill the ball, whine about length, and armlock, etc. Rory hits the ball almost as far.... DJ, Koepka, etc all do, so don’t give me, “Awe, Bryson hits it TOO far! That’s not fair.”

Dude. You hit it 350 too. Quit whining.For anyone who hits the ball in the top 10% of all PGA players for distance to be complaining, that is ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I’m already tired of hearing Rory, and others who kill the ball, whine about length, and armlock, etc. Rory hits the ball almost as far.... DJ, Koepka, etc all do, so don’t give me, “Awe, Bryson hits it TOO far! That’s not fair.”

Dude. You hit it 350 too. Quit whining.For anyone who hits the ball in the top 10% of all PGA players for distance to be complaining, that is ridiculous.

Rory looks really bad here.

If he thinks armlock gives Bryson and advantage than maybe Rory should try it.  Rory's putting has been absolute dogshit for years

3 minutes ago, PMookie said:

this is what i don’t really understand about the fascination with Bryson’s driving. 

rory, dj, koepka and finau run it out there pretty much as far as he does

yesterday, Wolff regularly outdrove him 

is there something i’m missing?

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

13 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Rory looks really bad here.

If he thinks armlock gives Bryson and advantage than maybe Rory should try it.  Rory's putting has been absolute dogshit for years

I thought the same thing!

13 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

this is what i don’t really understand about the fascination with Bryson’s driving. 

On Saturday, on one of the holes, there was a display put-up on the screen with where guys had hit their drives... Bryson has been outdriven by FIVE other golfers.

Bryson STILL had to hit greens, from the rough where everyone else was, and he also had to make the putts. What’s missing is the trophy in Rory’s hands. He’s jealous.

DJ just blew away the field for a couple weeks, but all of a sudden, HIS distance isn’t talked about.

I’m with you. I don’t understand what these  commentators are missing...

I understand the uproar of the how Bryson is changing with his length and its definitely a game changer, but you're also talking about an insanely talented guy in the first place.  It's not like some PGA journeyman or young struggling Korn Ferry player underwent this transformation and unlocked a key to success.  I know the TV plays up certain story lines because #content and his length and a lot of short irons helped him lead in SG Approach, but they definitely didn't give enough credit to Bryson's scrambling around the green (#3 SG for US Open) and putting (#18 for the US Open).  

One thing I also wonder is if the slopes on the greens helped Bryson, he was definitely precise at times but in past tournaments he's struggled with his wedges and I wonder if the ability to use slopes to filter the ball to the hole actually helped his ability to get the ball closer.

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

1 minute ago, bacchus said:

I understand the uproar of the how Bryson is changing with his length and its definitely a game changer, but you're also talking about an insanely talented guy in the first place. 

this is the part that sadly gets lost with all the attention his driving and body transformation gets

he won the US open because he played the best golf in the field, not because of his monster drives. 

it’s gotta feel a little s***** (maybe the 2 million dollar check cools the sting a little) to play perfect golf thursday through sunday and all anyone can talk about is your diet and how far you hit the ball. 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

I don’t agree with Crossfield much, but he is spot on on a recent twitter post.

A guy uses technology to make his game better, and they call him mad...

Why not take advantage of every inch, workout, and club modifications to put yourself in a position to make millions and millions of dollars?

That’d be like not bringing your Hot Rodded car to the drag strip, but bringing a bone stock civic...

6 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I don’t agree with Crossfield much, but he is spot on on a recent twitter post.

A guy uses technology to make his game better, and they call him mad...

Why not take advantage of every inch, workout, and club modifications to put yourself in a position to make millions and millions of dollars?

That’d be like not bringing your Hot Rodded car to the drag strip, but bringing a bone stock civic...

👍

But the Honda Civic is the most stolen car in the U.S.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

What's the odds on the USGA revising the timeline on the distance study?  And that study leading to equipment changes?

Just my opinion but given Bryson's personality, he may just be the driving force that pushes the USGA to make equipment changes.  In the same vein as Keegan Bradley, Webb Simpson, Ernie Els and Adam Scott winning majors led to the ban of the anchored putter. 

Good chance... BECAUSE it's Bryson!  He challenges, and the USGA doesn't like it.  Now they know they have to do something else to minimize the bomb 'n gouge winner.

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

DJ just blew away the field for a couple weeks, but all of a sudden, HIS distance isn’t talked about.

DJ hit the longest drive on #9 yesterday.....40 yards past everyone else in the field.  

https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/1307765931884544005/photo/1

Edit to add; My point is, lots of these guys are ridiculously long.  Bryson isn't doing anything the rest of these guys aren't doing.  He's doing it a bit differently but Bryson is a bit "different" in almost everything he does.  Remember the 2011 US Open at Congressional.  The post-championship headlines were "Rory has broken Congressional" and "The US Open can never be held at Congressional again".

8 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Good chance... BECAUSE it's Bryson!  He challenges, and the USGA doesn't like it.  Now they know they have to do something else to minimize the bomb 'n gouge winner.

That's my thought as well.  The USGA will be more responsive because it's Bryson.  

This is a point I've been making too. It's not just Bryson hammering it, but about a dozen guys. Rahm too, and didn't Cameron Champ lead the PGA in distance awhile ago? Don't make a ruling that effects everyone because of 12-15 players. Leave us amateurs out of the discussion.

Also bomb and gouge isn't some new phenomenon. Tiger essentially started it, or it was the other pro's response to him. Point is this style has been dominant on the tour for close to 25 years. A few guys are just finding another level with it.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

1 minute ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Also bomb and gouge isn't some new phenomenon. Tiger essentially started it, or it was the other pro's response to him. Point is this style has been dominant on the tour for close to 25 years. A few guys are just finding another level with it.

Take Dead Aim

if tiger came up with modern balls instead of balata balls he would’ve been hitting drives 350+ regularly. 

even now at 44 he’s hitting 315 yard drives.