TESTERS WANTED! ×

The 120th U.S. Open

FrogginBullfish

Major #2 of 2020 is upon us. This time it's the 120th running of the United States Open. We're back at Winged Foot for the 6th time and first since the infamous 2006 U.S. Open, site of Phil Mickelson's 18th hole meltdown that resulted in Geoff Ogilvy winning his first and only major. Ogilvy's winning score for the week was +5 and it's looking like par will be hard to break again this week with the utterly gnarly rough, narrow fairways and speedy greens already on hand.

The West course is set to play just under 7,500 yards this week as a Par 70 (Par 72 for regular play). The Par 5s for the week are listed at 575 and 633 yards respectively. The shortest and only Par 3 listed under 200 yards is the 7th hole, coming in at 162 yards. The remaining par 3s are listed at 243, 214, and 212 yards. Lots of lengthy Par 4s the rest of the way, with only 2 holes coming in under 400 yards -- the 321 yard 6th hole and the 384 yard 11th hole. Expect to see some attempts to drive the green on 6.

Dustin Johnson comes in the favourite off his win at the FedEx Cup and picked up the Player of the Year as voted by his peers for last season. Gary Woodland is the defending champion. Recent king of U.S. Opens, Brooks Koepka remains out with a knee injury.

Should be an interesting tournament. I hope the USGA got the setup right on this one. Seems like an easier course not to mess up like Shinnecock or Chambers Bay or Erin Hills, so we should be good to go.

Any thoughts/predictions?

My prediction for the week is Bryson DeChambeau or Tony Finau for the win.

Enjoy the tournament everyone.2020_U.S._Open_(golf)_logo.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Somewhat confusing viewing set-up this year.  Thought some may find this helpful.

Television

Thursday, September 17: 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m. ET (Golf Channel); 2-5 p.m. ET (NBC)
Friday, September 18: 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. ET (Golf Channel); 4-7 p.m. ET (NBC)
Saturday, September 19: 11 a.m. -7:30 p.m. ET (NBC)
Sunday, September 20: 10 a.m.-12 p.m. ET (Golf Channel); 12-6 p.m. ET (NBC)

Streaming

Thursday, September 17
First Round (TV coverage): 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m. ET (Golfchannel.com)
First Round (TV Coverage): 2-5 p.m. ET (NBCSports.com)
First Round (Online only): 5-7 p.m. ET (Peacock)
Featured Groups (Online only): 7:55 a.m.-6:30 p.m. ET (usopen.com)
Featured Holes (Online only): 8:10 a.m.-6:45 p.m. ET (usopen.com)

Friday, September 18
Second Round (Online only): 7:30-9:30 a.m. ET (Peacock)
Second Round (TV Coverage): 9:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. ET (Golfchannel.com)
Second Round (Online only): 4-7 p.m. ET (NBCSports.com)
Featured Groups (Online only): 7:55 a.m.-6:30 p.m. ET (usopen.com)

Saturday, September 19
Third Round (Online only): 9-11 a.m. ET (Peacock)
Third Round (Online only): 11 a.m.-7:30 p.m.ET (NBCSports.com)
Featured Groups (Online only): 8 a.m.-6:30 p.m. ET (usopen.com)

Sunday, September 20
Final Round (Online only): 8-10 a.m. ET (Peacock)
Final Round (TV Coverage): 10 a.m.-12 p.m. ET (Golfchannel.com)
Final Round (Online only): 12-6 p.m.ET (NBCSports.com)
Featured Groups (Online only): 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m. ET (usopen.com)
Featured Holes (Online only): 8 a.m.-5 p.m. ET (usopen.com)

15 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Major #2 of 2020 is upon us. This time it's the 120th running of the United States Open. We're back at Winged Foot for the 6th time and first since the infamous 2006 U.S. Open, site of Phil Mickelson's 18th hole meltdown that resulted in Geoff Ogilvy winning his first and only major. Ogilvy's winning score for the week was +5 and it's looking like par will be hard to break again this week with the utterly gnarly rough, narrow fairways and speedy greens already on hand.

The West course is set to play just under 7,500 yards this week as a Par 70 (Par 72 for regular play). The Par 5s for the week are listed at 575 and 633 yards respectively. The shortest and only Par 3 listed under 200 yards is the 7th hole, coming in at 162 yards. The remaining par 3s are listed at 243, 214, and 212 yards. Lots of lengthy Par 4s the rest of the way, with only 2 holes coming in under 400 yards -- the 321 yard 6th hole and the 384 yard 11th hole. Expect to see some attempts to drive the green on 6.

Dustin Johnson comes in the favourite off his win at the FedEx Cup and picked up the Player of the Year as voted by his peers for last season. Gary Woodland is the defending champion. Recent king of U.S. Opens, Brooks Koepka remains out with a knee injury.

Should be an interesting tournament. I hope the USGA got the setup right on this one. Seems like an easier course not to mess up like Shinnecock or Chambers Bay or Erin Hills, so we should be good to go.

Any thoughts/predictions?

My prediction for the week is Bryson DeChambeau or Tony Finau for the win.

Enjoy the tournament everyone.2020_U.S._Open_(golf)_logo.jpeg

Good intro write up!

Rumor has it the rough is insane this week, makes me really hesitant to take folks on the less accurate side off the tee. 

Love DJ, Rahm, Morikawa, Matsuyama and Fleetwood this week. Staying away from Bryson, Tiger, Phil, and Rory myself.

Can't wait to watch!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

The West Course will be set up as a par 70, with a Course Rating of 76.9 and a Slope Rating of 146. In other words – crazy difficult.

I heard on PGA Tour Radio last week that someone place a $25K bet on Phil.  Phil commented that he hoped he had a 3 shot lead going into #18 on Sunday.  🤣

I hope Phil gets the win, but unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen.  Going to take accurate driving and a great short game.  I'm going with the Spainish duo... either Raum or Sergio.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm assuming the rough will be cut once more, but seeing some pictures early this week that you can only see the top of some tall boys that were placed in the rough is nasty! Whoever can keep it in the fairway will be at the top of the leaderboard come Sunday.

My picks:

1) Xander Schauffele - if it wasn't for the staggered start at the Tour Championship, Xander would have won. I'm riding that momentum.

2) Jon Rahm - He found a way to be a the top of the leaderboard at some of the hardest courses played since the restart (The Memorial, the PGA championship, and the BMW) He will be up there on Sunday, I hope.

3) Matthew Fitzpatrick - *Sleeper Pick*, just a gut feeling. As long as he doesn't shoot a 77-80 on the first round, I like his chances.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

The West Course will be set up as a par 70, with a Course Rating of 76.9 and a Slope Rating of 146. In other words – crazy difficult.

I heard on PGA Tour Radio last week that someone place a $25K bet on Phil.  Phil commented that he hoped he had a 3 shot lead going into #18 on Sunday.  🤣

I hope Phil gets the win, but unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen.  Going to take accurate driving and a great short game.  I'm going with the Spainish duo... either Raum or Sergio.

Phil probably placed that bet on himself....

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

The rough is brutal. They cut it for the last time for the week yesterday. Doubt they took more than an inch off. Will be a gnarly 6 inches or more by tournament start. Balls are just disappearing in it.

Good intro write up!
Rumor has it the rough is insane this week, makes me really hesitant to take folks on the less accurate side off the tee. 
Love DJ, Rahm, Morikawa, Matsuyama and Fleetwood this week. Staying away from Bryson, Tiger, Phil, and Rory myself.
Can't wait to watch!

The winner will have to have a great all-around game but driving will be critical.  I don't believe the bomb and gougers will be overly successful this week.  I will take Xander Schauffele for the win and Paul Casey for my dark-horse.  Both are coming into the US Open in excellent form.

Another putter change from Tiger this week.

No, no, don't worry it's still the trusty Scotty, or not so trusty as of late, in the bag but gone is the Ping Blackout grip that's been a staple for him in his professional career and on comes a very old, but new Lamkin Deep Etched Pistol grip. It's a return to the Amateur and Junior Amateur days for Tiger it seems as he used cord and etched grips on his putter in those years.

Wicked fast greens too.

13 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

That is literally insane haha. The hardest setup I've ever played was 73/137 and I barely broke 100, I can't even imagine how difficult the course is going to be this week!

Right Handed

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

WITB thread here

Interesting pairings:

The ASU group:  Phil, Raum and Casey
The OSU group:  Rickie, Wolff and Hovland

In addition to the Bryson, DJ, and Finau bomber group, the McIlroy, Scott, and Rose group will also be fun to follow.  Adam Scott could do very well here following in the footsteps of another Aussie here... Olgilvy.  

EDIT:  They also put the Canadians together, so at least the speak the same language, eh?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Looks like it will be a very tough week. Will be interesting to see if any of the longer players take the 3 wood which for some still gets out the about 300 to hit closer to 75% of fairways say. Rough is gonna be a one shot penalty all week, the strokes gained from hitting the fairway this week are gonna be off the charts. I like Dustin just with the length he could take shorter clubs go hit the fairways, plus he won at one of the other hardest US open tracks.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

I need Xander to win so that I win the Callaway contest. The contest is buy a Callaway driver and if the Callaway staffer selected wins, you get the driver paid for. Except it is a law that there needs to be a "no purchase necessary" process for entry, so I didn't buy anything, just read the fine print and sent a letter with my pick.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

7 hours ago, ncwoz said:

Good intro write up!

Can't wait to watch!

+ 6 wins this week. yea, the rough is nasty.

:mizuno-small: Irons: Mizuno MP53 Stiff/standard 

:mizuno-small: Hybrid: 4I

:ping-small: Driver: Ping G25 9 degree, stiff

:cleveland-small: Wedges: 52, 56, 60

:scotty-cameron-1: Select Roundback 2014

Good intro write up!
Can't wait to watch!

That’s a pretty safe prediction and I like all of them. I’m not so sure w Tommy Fleetwood though.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I’m taking Morikawa, the guys’ iron game is incredible.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

6 minutes ago, Rickp said:

That’s a pretty safe prediction and I like all of them. I’m not so sure w Tommy Fleetwood though.

I agree, he hasn't had quite the success others have had since the restart. Admittedly I'm taking him just cuz I think his game lines up with the course well, but we'll see what happens!

Right Handed

WITB thread here

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

Tommy had a nice final round last Sunday on a tough course on the Euro tour, so maybe he has some momentum.  

23 hours ago, sixcat said:

The winner will have to have a great all-around game but driving will be critical.  I don't believe the bomb and gougers will be overly successful this week.  I will take Xander Schauffele for the win and Paul Casey for my dark-horse.  Both are coming into the US Open in excellent form.

Excellent picks.  Xander has played well on tough courses, and Casey always seems to hang around the lead more often than not.

Its gotta be Morikowa right? With his iron play, he may just have enough to win back-to-back majors.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

My question is will Bryson finish in the Top 20? He’s going to hit driver, but hit it in the deep rough and suffer the consequences.

Is the course too long for these bombers to hit driving irons 280 and play from there???

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

12 minutes ago, PMookie said:

My question is will Bryson finish in the Top 20? He’s going to hit driver, but hit it in the deep rough and suffer the consequences.

Is the course too long for these bombers to hit driving irons 280 and play from there???

My thought is, if Bryson bombs driver everywhere, he won't be playing the weekend. 

23 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Interesting pairings:

The ASU group:  Phil, Raum and Casey
The OSU group:  Rickie, Wolff and Hovland

In addition to the Bryson, DJ, and Finau bomber group, the McIlroy, Scott, and Rose group will also be fun to follow.  Adam Scott could do very well here following in the footsteps of another Aussie here... Olgilvy.  

EDIT:  They also put the Canadians together, so at least the speak the same language, eh?

I'll be pulling for the SunDevils out there!  Fork 'em Devils!

Just tap it in.  Lil' taparoo.

:honma: TW747 460 10.5° Vizard stiff

:adams-small: 4 Hybrid

:Sub70: 699 5-Aw; KBS Tour-V 90 Stiff

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 58°

:taylormade-small: Spider Interactive

My thought is, if Bryson bombs driver everywhere, he won't be playing the weekend. 

Length will be an advantage as all players are going to miss fairways. I’d rather be Bryson distance hitting out if the rough than 40 yards back hitting out of the rough. Even if you are too far back and in the fairway you risk being in the long stuff by the green.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

His accuracy has been pretty good at some tournaments.  He hit more fairways than DJ did at the PGA.  However, when he gets wild, he hits the ball further off the fairway than most do.  

I'm more concerned about his short game, which seems to suck with the OL clubs.

Just now, Kenny B said:

His accuracy has been pretty good at some tournaments.  He hit more fairways than DJ did at the PGA.  However, when he gets wild, he hits the ball further off the fairway than most do.  

I'm more concerned about how short game, which seems to suck with the OL clubs.

That's my thought as well, I just failed to elaborate.  Given what Winged Foot is, I believe it would be far more advantageous for Bryson to lay back and have a 6-iron or 7-iron from the fairway rather than wedge from the jungle.  Bryson's wedges aren't very good considering he is a top 10 player in the world.

56 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Length will be an advantage as all players are going to miss fairways. I’d rather be Bryson distance hitting out if the rough than 40 yards back hitting out of the rough. Even if you are too far back and in the fairway you risk being in the long stuff by the green.

On virtually every other course in the world, I would agree.  But not at Winged Foot.  (Edit to add) The first few tournaments of the return to golf, Bryson was driving it long and straight.  That hasn't exactly been the case of late.  

But I could be completely wrong.