FrogginBullfish

The 120th U.S. Open

Our Sponsors

Is there a consensus on what should be done ? None that I've ever seen. It looks like a choice between a couple of really bad "solutions" and lots of people are going to be VERY unhappy no matter which one they choose, if any. Doing nothing (and curbing further equipment related distance gains) is probably the path of least resistance...and probably the reason no one has 'dealt' with the 'issue.'

Mike Davis was solely responsible for the debacle that was Shinnecock......twice! As the seventh ever Executive Director of the USGA, he appointed himself as the organization’s first ever CEO. You know, because Executive Director wasn’t baller enough I suppose. He has flatly refuses to address equipment issues. Allows anchored putters after “anchoring” was banned. Probably most egregious of all, continually attempts to dictate terms to the R&A rather than work with them on properly governing the game.

I will say again, 2021 is already looking up with this news!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, sixcat said:

Mike Davis was solely responsible for the debacle that was Shinnecock......twice! As the seventh ever Executive Director of the USGA, he appointed himself as the organization’s first ever CEO. You know, because Executive Director wasn’t baller enough I suppose. He has flatly refuses to address equipment issues. Allows anchored putters after “anchoring” was banned. Probably most egregious of all, continually attempts to dictate terms to the R&A rather than work with them on properly governing the game.

I will say again, 2021 is already looking up with this news!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Again, I don’t have an opinion on Davis. But what is the (obvious) solution to the distance problem he refuses to address? Or what equipment issue is he refusing to address if it’s something apart from distance - anchoring or other? I’m not trying to pick a fight, I just don’t see an obvious or easy answer to the distance issue. Lots of people agree it’s a problem, should have been addressed earlier (before Davis), but there are several strongly held suggestion with no consensus on what to do about it that I’ve seen.

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)

On 9/24/2020 at 2:01 PM, Middler said:

Again, I don’t have an opinion on Davis. But what is the (obvious) solution to the distance problem he refuses to address? Or what equipment issue is he refusing to address if it’s something apart from distance - anchoring or other? I’m not trying to pick a fight, I just don’t see an obvious or easy answer to the distance issue. Lots of people agree it’s a problem, should have been addressed earlier (before Davis), but there are several strongly held suggestion with no consensus on what to do about it that I’ve seen.

As technology, materials and manufacturing processes have improved, the USGA has failed to be proactive in reigning in those aspects of the game.  They have been very reactive, and the reaction hasn't been positive nor has it been directed toward the right aspects of the game.  I don't have a solution nor the time to figure one out.  That doesn't disqualify me from seeing, the game has a big problem in terms of the parameters set for equipment tolerances. 

Mike Davis was so aghast at the optics of long/anchored putters winning majors, he fell all over himself to ban anchoring.  Mike Davis was so aghast that players could stop balls on greens from heavy rough, he raced to ban square grooves.  Has either ban made any difference whatsoever?  I think not.

Manufacturers simply perfected the design of "V" grooves, making them better than square grooves had ever been.  Many, many players are still anchoring putters.  They are doing it in such a way as to side-step the rules but, there they are.....putters anchored to forearms, forearm anchored to the chest,, etc. etc. etc.

Again, I don't have a solution.  I'm just happy a new set of eyes are coming into the fold because I believe Mike Davis' eyes had become blind to the real issues facing golf in the 21st century.  The equipment issues began with David B. Fay and continued through Mike Davis.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sixcat said:
Mike Davis was so aghast at the optics of long/anchored putters winning majors, he fell all over himself to ban anchoring.  Mike Davis was so aghast that players could stop balls on greens from heavy rough, he raced to ban square grooves.  Has either ban made any difference whatsoever?  I think not.

Manufacturers simply perfected the design of "V" grooves, making them better than square grooves had ever been.  Many, many players are still anchoring putters.  They are doing it in such a way as to side-step the rules but, there they are.....putters anchored to forearms, forearm anchored to the chest,, etc. etc. etc.

Again, I don't have a solution.  I'm just happy a new set of eyes are coming into the fold because I believe Mike Davis' eyes had become blind to the real issues facing golf in the 21st century.  The equipment issues began with David B. Fay and continued through Mike Davis.

I generally agree, but.....  The groove rule change didn't ban Square Grooves.  

The anchoring ban is something I find ludicrous, personally.  FWIW, I never have anchored my putter in any way.

I still think tee game could be addressed by reducing max MOI.  It would bring a bit more skill back to the tee game, instead of everyone wailing away with 5000+ MOI clubheads.

Edited by NRJyzr

Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber Tour 7.5 TS, 44"; Cobra King LTD, HZRDUS Black 75, 6.5, 44.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"; TM Stage 2 Tour, SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, DGS300; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram 1980 Tour Grinds, Dynamic S; 2-PW MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; 1-PW Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S; 2-PW Ram TG-898, Nippon Super Peening Blue X
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34", round no taper grip
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or Kirkland Signature 3 pc, or TM TP5

13 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I generally agree, but.....  The groove rule change didn't ban Square Grooves.  

The anchoring ban is something I find ludicrous, personally.  FWIW, I never have anchored my putter in any way.

I still think tee game could be addressed by reducing max MOI.  It would bring a bit more skill back to the tee game, instead of everyone wailing away with 5000+ MOI clubheads.

Technically no, square grooves weren't banned.  But all groves must now be uniform in spacing, shape, and tilt while having a .01* radius to the base of each groove.  By definition, adding radius to anything no longer qualifies that thing as being "square".  Semantics, I suppose! 

I couldn't care less about anchoring either.  But if it's going to be a rule, enforce it uniformly.  Then again, I suppose we can say the same thing about pace of play on Tour.

Driver heads are way too big!  I haven't looked at the calculations done by others but, at a minimum, cutting the driver head size in half is a start.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Technically no, square grooves weren't banned.  But all groves must now be uniform in spacing, shape, and tilt while having a .01* radius to the base of each groove.  By definition, adding radius to anything no longer qualifies that thing as being "square".  Semantics, I suppose! 

I couldn't care less about anchoring either.  But if it's going to be a rule, enforce it uniformly.  Then again, I suppose we can say the same thing about pace of play on Tour.

Driver heads are way too big!  I haven't looked at the calculations done by others but, at a minimum, cutting the driver head size in half is a start.

Didn't Mike Davis change the grooves because the USGA didn't want the pros to play a bomb and gouge game from the rough??   🤣

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

The reason I focus on MOI instead of driver size is the reaction to the SLDR.  Most pros wouldn't play it on Tour, because they couldn't control it.  It was 460cc, but the MOI ranged from 3300ish to 3500ish.  Keep MOI in that range, or somewhat lower if you prefer, and suddenly the ball starts moving a bit more laterally. 

And such is re-introduced the tee game skill that Sir Nick has referenced in the Twitterverse.

Size might decrease because there are limitations in 460cc drivers at that level of MOI, but it isn't a necessity.  <shrug>

With apologies for repeating myself, I've posted something along these lines in a few places  🙂 

• Like 1

Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber Tour 7.5 TS, 44"; Cobra King LTD, HZRDUS Black 75, 6.5, 44.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"; TM Stage 2 Tour, SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, DGS300; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram 1980 Tour Grinds, Dynamic S; 2-PW MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; 1-PW Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S; 2-PW Ram TG-898, Nippon Super Peening Blue X
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34", round no taper grip
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or Kirkland Signature 3 pc, or TM TP5

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Didn't Mike Davis change the grooves because the USGA didn't want the pros to play a bomb and gouge game from the rough??   🤣

How has that worked out?  🤪

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

The reason I focus on MOI instead of driver size is the reaction to the SLDR.  Most pros wouldn't play it on Tour, because they couldn't control it.  It was 460cc, but the MOI ranged from 3300ish to 3500ish.  Keep MOI in that range, or somewhat lower if you prefer, and suddenly the ball starts moving a bit more laterally. 

And such is re-introduced the tee game skill that Sir Nick has referenced in the Twitterverse.

Size might decrease because there are limitations in 460cc drivers at that level of MOI, but it isn't a necessity.  <shrug>

With apologies for repeating myself, I've posted something along these lines in a few places  🙂 

I think we are somewhat on the same page.  The driver should not be the easiest club in the bag to hit.

• Like 1