Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

What’s the most “unique” course you play?

Cory O

Played a normal 18 this morning before work (which was at my office, a rarity in these COVID times) and had time after I left, so I stopped off to play a quick 9 at a track I hadn’t been at for a while.

This muni (Altadena, ran by LA county, not the city) is probably the most “unique” course I play. It’s an almost flat nine holes, not particularly well maintained (honestly, it’s a total goat track), but still fun for a few reasons. First, there are a bunch of short par 4’s. With the half dirt packed fairways giving extra roll, my Herculean 260 yard drives can almost get to the green (did it three times today). Unlike most little 9 hole tracks though, this course also has a true par 5, 510 yards from the tips. After that you play essentially the same hole, but in reverse and a little shorter at 460. Oh, but that 460 is a Par 4 (bogey today). Then you get a 190 yard Par 3 with a tall tree literally right between you and the green, 150 out from the tee. Can’t go over it, absolutely have to go around it, draw or fade (I over-drew the ball, caught the tree, another bogey). Then it’s another short 4 and normal 3 until you get to the closing 9th. 440 yard....Par 5 (they REALLY wanted it to be a par 36 course I guess). My drive caught a branch at around 220 and I still almost got home in the 2.

So Altadena isn’t going to get into the Golf Digest top 100 any time soon, but still I like it because it’s cheap and unlike anywhere else I play. So how about you all? What “unique” courses have you played?

2024 is the year of the short set!

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 11.5* stiff

Hybrid: PXG 0311 GEN5 19*

Irons: JustGolf Forged Blades (4, 6, 8, PW)

Wedge: 56* Forged Prototype

Putter: PXG Blackjack Center Shaft 34"

Bag: Sunday Golf Loma XL

Used to belong to a club in Philly called McCall CC. 4,700 yard par 66 that has the first nine done by Donald Ross and the second 9 done by William Flynn. 18 small turtle back greens that you need to hit and miss in the right spots. Was really cool and well with the $245 a year price tag for unlimited golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

33 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Used to belong to a club in Philly called McCall CC. 4,700 yard par 66 that has the first nine done by Donald Ross and the second 9 done by William Flynn. 18 small turtle back greens that you need to hit and miss in the right spots. Was really cool and well with the $245 a year price tag for unlimited golf.

Wish I could find somewhere with unlimited golf for $245. Heck, I'd be all in on $245 a month and consider it a steal.

4 minutes ago, Cory O said:

Wish I could find somewhere with unlimited golf for $245. Heck, I'd be all in on $245 a month and consider it a steal.

Move to East Tennessee. $245 a  month would get you full family membership at a private country club. Pool, tennis courts, unlimited range balls, unlimited golf with a cart. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 minute ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Move to East Tennessee. $245 a  month would get you full family membership at a private country club. Pool, tennis courts, unlimited range balls, unlimited golf with a cart. 

If I could be in East Tennessee, but still get my Los Angeles salary, I'd be half-tempted (but only half tempted, I do really love living in SoCal. I'm a transplant here, but don't see myself ever going anywhere else).

1 minute ago, Cory O said:

If I could be in East Tennessee, but still get my Los Angeles salary, I'd be half-tempted (but only half tempted, I do really love living in SoCal. I'm a transplant here, but don't see myself ever going anywhere else).

I was lucky. Got to keep my NY salary in a relocation to TN.

I have played over 150 courses but one that always stuck out in my mind was "The Witch " in Myrtle Beach. The course had over one mile of wooden bridges. The course was built in a swamp and many of the holes were their own islands with the bridges connecting them.  There were also island greens. Had a bunch of gators too. 

71.2/ 133 rating. Totally a different experience.

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

That sounds awesome!

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

11 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Tempting, but too late in my life to move.  My best friend lives near the Nolichucky River off Frank Stanton Rd.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Tempting, but too late in my life to move.  My best friend lives near the Nolichucky River off Frank Stanton Rd.

Thats funny, I live just off the Nolichucky River. But he lives in Limestone. I'm 30minutes down river. Good smallmouth fishing.

I was lucky. Got to keep my NY salary in a relocation to TN.

Slowly working on moving south from NY. Right now the panhandle of FL and Nashville are in the lead.

WITB 2024

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

7 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Slowly working on moving south from NY. Right now the panhandle of FL and Nashville are in the lead.

i don’t care what direction i go - i just wanna get away from queens/long island. 

already have my winter spot down in Boca. working on moving out primary residence up into putnam county 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

i don’t care what direction i go - i just wanna get away from queens/long island. 

already have my winter spot down in Boca. working on moving out primary residence up into putnam county 

Have my place in Suffolk County and dumped my place up in the Catskills end of last year. Deciding now if we want to move the kids or just get set up for when they leave the nest.

WITB 2024

1 minute ago, Jmikecpa said:

Have my place in Suffolk County and dumped my place up in the Catskills end of last year. Deciding now if we want to move the kids or just get set up for when they leave the nest.

catskills would be nice for a vacation home. putnam is juuuust close enough to live there full time. plus a dollar goes a long way up there 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

Most unique course I’ve ever played was Tobacco Road in NC. And I hated it.

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

Palmer Course at La Cantera... Ridiculous number of blind tee shots....

Timberton in Hattiesburg. Same thing. Rinky-dink.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

10 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

I lived in right next to you in Babylon for about 10 years but grew up in Elmont. The traffic in Nashville is the same as Long Island. Nashville area is also pretty expensive.

12 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I lived in right next to you in Babylon for about 10 years but grew up in Elmont. The traffic in Nashville is the same as Long Island. Nashville area is also pretty expensive.

i’m in Franklin Square. what’s up neighbor?!

My wife and I played the  "Lost Farm' course at Barnboogle when we visited my daughter in Australia. It's 20 holes and two of the holes were marked A and B, as in 18A and 18B. My wife said as much as we were paying to play there, we"re playing all 20. Made sense to me as I really enjoyed this links course right on the Bass Strait. . 

IMG_3766.JPG

IMG_3815.JPG

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

4 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

i’m in Franklin Square. what’s up neighbor?!

That's funny, my brother lives in Franklin Square.

• 5 weeks later...

I play Royal New Kent often, near Williamsburg, VA.....It's a Mike Strantz gem which has some incredible holes. Another Mike Strantz gem is Tobacco Road in Pinehurst area. 

Maybe the most unique course I have played is Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV.....It is best described as playing golf on Mars....The holes are framed by a red clay landscape which covers everything except the grass, sand and water...

If you are into visual presentation as depicted by Ocean....Go To Old Head in Kinsale, Ireland....It is absolutely breathtaking. Be fore warned if you visit the websites....You're gonna wanna go.... 

Epic Flash 9 &15

Titliest 915 18&21

Staff 5 to G

Ping SW

Wide Flange LW

TM Spider X