TESTERS WANTED! ×

Bridgestone (Tiger) Ball

fixyurdivot

The work Tony and staff are doing in the ball lab is great - and quite revealing.  The latest review on the Bridgestone Tour BXS is, thus far, showing that the top tier/price balls have quality issues - or at least what our initial impression might perceive as a "quality issue".  What we do not know is what the individual mfg.'s quality standards are.  That the balls being tested are random, store purchased stock, makes the data set so valuable (IMO). I would presume the balls provided to Tiger (and other balls to tour staff pros) go through some additional quality screening to cull out outliers; outliers that again may be within acceptable production limits.

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-2020-bridgestone-tour-b-xs/

Specific to the Tour BX S, I did find this of particular interest.  I wouldn't have expected Tiger to use a soft compression ball but I keep forgetting he's 44.

image.png.962064bf0b00e5e86bcf318f31368807.png

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I was and wasn't surprised by this one. It was a little disappointing to see the issues noted, but overall it is still a consistent ball. Not Titleist consistent, but I know from Tony's Twitter account and his comments on the No Putts Given podcast that we will see balls fare much worse in Ball Lab.

If there's anything of particular interest to me in the report, it's that the XS runs on the larger side by comparison. He didn't give us much to go off - no specific measurements or direct comparisons by percentage - but I wonder if it's enough to impact distance.

There are plenty of balls that can provide the spin characteristics I'm after and while I do prefer the feel of the Tour B XS, I'd be willing to experiment and see if I find something that provides a touch more distance for me.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

12 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Specific to the Tour BX S, I did find this of particular interest.  I wouldn't have expected Tiger to use a soft compression ball but I keep forgetting he's 44.

You have to remember that when Tiger first entered the game he was playing a balata just like everyone else and he learned to take spin off by delivering the club different based on the shot he wanted to play. I'd imagine he prefers a spinnier ball so he can continue to do this and have the option to ramp up the spin when and if he needs it.

Tiger has always played the spinniest ball he could. Even back in the Nike days, though it was a Bridgestone in disguise then. It's actually been interesting to see how Tiger has influenced a lot of the Team TaylorMade guys to swap from TP5X to TP5 to get more spin.

Another thing to note is Tiger plays essentially the off the rack Tour B XS ball. He doesn't have a special ball made for him by Bridgestone, just the Tiger Edition ball which is available at retail. This came up at Shinnecock for the US Open when he got there early and didn't have any balls to use so he picked up some balls from the pro shop. Bridgestone doesn't have the different tour only editions of their ball like Titleist or Callaway do. If you're playing a Tour B, it's the same exact one that Tiger and Bryson play. They might get a higher QC rate than the rest of us but there's no difference in the actual ball design.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

2 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

You have to remember that when Tiger first entered the game he was playing a balata just like everyone else and he learned to take spin off by delivering the club different based on the shot he wanted to play. I'd imagine he prefers a spinnier ball so he can continue to do this and have the option to ramp up the spin when and if he needs it.

This - it is 100% a feel thing for Tiger.  He can take spin off more than anyone in the game.

I tried gaming the BXS because I love the feel, but it just spins too much for me on full shots and I cannot do anything to knock it down

3 hours ago, jlukes said:

This - it is 100% a feel thing for Tiger.  He can take spin off more than anyone in the game.

I tried gaming the BXS because I love the feel, but it just spins too much for me on full shots and I cannot do anything to knock it down

And see, for me, someone who is a low spin player on the irons I love getting that extra spin because it helps me hit my numbers easier. Different strokes, different folks. Can't wait for Srixon to show up in here as it's a three horse race for the bag going forward between BXS, V1X, and Z Star XV

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

30 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

And see, for me, someone who is a low spin player on the irons I love getting that extra spin because it helps me hit my numbers easier. Different strokes, different folks. Can't wait for Srixon to show up in here as it's a three horse race for the bag going forward between BXS, V1X, and Z Star XV

Assuming we can count on Tony to continue releasing the reports every Tuesday, the first Srixon ball will be the Q-Star Tour on 10/14. I'll be keeping an eye out to see if he shares more about upcoming reports on his Twitter account.

7 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Another thing to note is Tiger plays essentially the off the rack Tour B XS ball. He doesn't have a special ball made for him by Bridgestone, just the Tiger Edition ball which is available at retail.

Not disputing you but, wow, I find this hard to believe.  As much effort that these guys put into the various aspects of pro game, one would think culled out balls for tournament play would be the norm.  In any case, I'll bet after he reads Tony's results, this policy will change 🤣.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

It is hard to believe for sure but Tiger has confirmed it if my memory serves correct. I'm sure he, and the rest of the Bridgestone Tour guys get a special tour batch that is QCed to perfection but in terms of compression, dimples, # of layers, spin profile, materials, etc, the balls they play are identical to what you and I can buy in retail stores and pro shops. Same goes for Srixon.

Bridgestone and Srixon don't have any of the special tour only ball designs that Titleist and Callaway have, which I think is how things should be, but that's a discussion for another day.

Not disputing you but, wow, I find this hard to believe.  As much effort that these guys put into the various aspects of pro game, one would think culled out balls for tournament play would be the norm.  In any case, I'll bet after he reads Tony's results, this policy will change .

I certainly could be wrong here, but I'm kind of expecting some of the "known" commodities to be put out first so there's a little more a baseline for some of the smaller brands. Looking forward to the findings!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

I'm a few episodes behind on No Putts Given and don't have Twitter, but if I'm not mistaken it has been stated on NPG that after the release of the ProV1 Left Dash that all of Titleist's tour pros are gaming balls that are available to the average consumer.  I do remember on the video tour of Callaway's Tour Truck that the equipment guy showed the drawer of tour pro only balls.  They had some designation like the tour driver heads and their double diamond or double black diamond.  

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

I'm aware. It's why I made the distinction that the Bridgestone and Srixon guys are all using what is effectively an off the rack ball, but to a higher level of QC.

I mentioned Tour only ball designs because I'm speaking specifically of the many Tour only ball designs which include the myriad of Chrome Softs being used on Tour and Pro V1 Star and the Left Dot Pro V1. Titleist did make the Left Dash Pro V1X available to the public but I've not heard anything to suggest the other two Tour only balls are no longer in use on Tour or will be made available to the public.

Bridgestone and Srixon don't have any of those additional options for their players. What's available to us is the same that's available to their Tour pros, QC level notwithstanding.

Tour only ball doesnt mean it was designed differently. Could just be those are the ones that passed tour level QA/QC. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2020 at 7:44 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Not disputing you but, wow, I find this hard to believe.  As much effort that these guys put into the various aspects of pro game, one would think culled out balls for tournament play would be the norm.  In any case, I'll bet after he reads Tony's results, this policy will change 🤣.

This is 100% true.....Tigers ball is the exact ball we can buy off the shelf....Bridgestone has confirmed this many times over

Golf is cool

I just started playing the Bridgestone B XS and I love it.  Getting some incredible distance out of it and it really sticks on the greens for me.  I will say with chips I am having to adjust a little because it checks up a lot stronger than other balls I have played. 

Manhattan, KS 

:ping-small: Ping G30 Driver 9.5 degrees

:taylormade-small:Taylor Made RBZ Black 3 wood

Nike Vapor 3 Hybrid

:Sub70:Sub70 699 Pro Irons 4-PW (KBS Tour 120 Stiff)

:taylormade-small:Taylor Made ATV 58 and 52 wedges

:tour-edge: Tour Edge 56 Sand Wedge

:odyssey-small:Odyssey White Hot #9 Putter

No official handicap but about 18.