TESTERS WANTED! ×

Los Angeles/North OC/South Ventura Golf Club Membership

MarcelDionne

Following the thread as I'm interested if there are any responses out there. With the amount of golf I've been playing, I casually started looking into clubs to see if the cost was justifiable. Cheapest around I found was La Canada-Flintridge County Club at around $400 a month for their junior membership (under 39 years old). Short-ish but interesting course, no real practice facilities to think of, but I was tempted as it's just down the road from me. Didn't pull the trigger though, $400 is a lot of public golf.

I am springing for the ClubCorp "Play Away" membership though, two complementary rounds at their private courses Sun.-Fri. plus some other perks for $60 a month, the course just has to be more than 100 miles from your home, so I'll use it to play in Palm Springs, San Diego, and the occasional trip to Vegas.

2024 is the year of the short set!

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 11.5* stiff

Hybrid: PXG 0311 GEN5 19*

Irons: JustGolf Forged Blades (4, 6, 8, PW)

Wedge: 56* Forged Prototype

Putter: PXG Blackjack Center Shaft 34"

Bag: Sunday Golf Loma XL

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 6:06 AM, Cory O said:

Following the thread as I'm interested if there are any responses out there. With the amount of golf I've been playing, I casually started looking into clubs to see if the cost was justifiable. Cheapest around I found was La Canada-Flintridge County Club at around $400 a month for their junior membership (under 39 years old). Short-ish but interesting course, no real practice facilities to think of, but I was tempted as it's just down the road from me. Didn't pull the trigger though, $400 is a lot of public golf.

I am springing for the ClubCorp "Play Away" membership though, two complementary rounds at their private courses Sun.-Fri. plus some other perks for $60 a month, the course just has to be more than 100 miles from your home, so I'll use it to play in Palm Springs, San Diego, and the occasional trip to Vegas.

Hi Cory, I'm curious about this ClubCorp "Play Away" membership. Please share your experience with it as you go because it seems intriguing but also seems like you have to put in some leg work to get the value out of it. I recently cancelled my Long Beach Player's Club membership because I felt that the value was subpar. Thanks!

Dexterity: RH

Driver:taylormade-small: Sim Max 9˚

3 Wood:Sub70: 939x

4h & 5h:Sub70: 939x

4i-PW: MALTBY TE Forged

Wedges:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52˚ & 58˚

Putter:edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball:titelist-small: Pro V1 or :Snell: MTB-X Optic Yellow

Data Collection:ShotScope: V3

5 hours ago, brendalonian said:

Hi Cory, I'm curious about this ClubCorp "Play Away" membership. Please share your experience with it as you go because it seems intriguing but also seems like you have to put in some leg work to get the value out of it. I recently cancelled my Long Beach Player's Club membership because I felt that the value was subpar. Thanks!

Don't try it. Took several weeks after signing up for them to even acknowledge and provide info and then it seems like every course you'd want to book is under "maintenance" any day you'd want to book it. I never used the membership and haven't paid them anything yet. If they do try to charge me, I'll be disputing it with my bank.

2024 is the year of the short set!

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 11.5* stiff

Hybrid: PXG 0311 GEN5 19*

Irons: JustGolf Forged Blades (4, 6, 8, PW)

Wedge: 56* Forged Prototype

Putter: PXG Blackjack Center Shaft 34"

Bag: Sunday Golf Loma XL

13 minutes ago, Cory O said:

Don't try it. Took several weeks after signing up for them to even acknowledge and provide info and then it seems like every course you'd want to book is under "maintenance" any day you'd want to book it. I never used the membership and haven't paid them anything yet. If they do try to charge me, I'll be disputing it with my bank.

Wow, sounds like a bad deal. Sorry you had to be the guinea pig but at least you're not out any $, just the hassle. 

Dexterity: RH

Driver:taylormade-small: Sim Max 9˚

3 Wood:Sub70: 939x

4h & 5h:Sub70: 939x

4i-PW: MALTBY TE Forged

Wedges:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52˚ & 58˚

Putter:edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball:titelist-small: Pro V1 or :Snell: MTB-X Optic Yellow

Data Collection:ShotScope: V3

3 hours ago, brendalonian said:

Wow, sounds like a bad deal. Sorry you had to be the guinea pig but at least you're not out any $, just the hassle. 

I've been a PlayAway member for a while now.  When I traveled for business (pre-covid), it was pretty useful for me.  Now, not so much.  I figured I'd keep it in the hopes that I'd be traveling again at some point, but they went from twice a month per club to twice a month anywhere, so I'm seriously considering dropping it.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Just now, HardcoreLooper said:

I've been a PlayAway member for a while now.  When I traveled for business (pre-covid), it was pretty useful for me.  Now, not so much.  I figured I'd keep it in the hopes that I'd be traveling again at some point, but they went from twice a month per club to twice a month anywhere, so I'm seriously considering dropping it.

i was just looking into this. a couple of courses local to me in NY are part of the network.  i figured i could use my florida address and get access to the NY courses. 

is there something i’m missing, or would that work? 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

Technically... you need to be able to receive mail at the address you give them.  They'll mail you a card, which I have never used.  You just need to know your member number.

Now if you play those local courses too often, would they get wise to you?  Maybe.  But with the changes, you're not going to be able to play any course very much.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

2 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Technically... you need to be able to receive mail at the address you give them.  They'll mail you a card, which I have never used.  You just need to know your member number.

Now if you play those local courses too often, would they get wise to you?  Maybe.  But with the changes, you're not going to be able to play any course very much.

thanks for the heads up. mail wouldn’t be a problem. my neighbor down in florida grabs anything that comes to the house for me. 

i’m gonna call on monday and find out the particulars. if the membership can get me 2 rounds a month it more than pays for itself. 

and if that’s the case, i’ll have my dad sign up in reverse - using his NY address to gain access to courses in Florida. there are a ton of great courses available where he lives down there. 

of course, if it’s a ton of headache then it’s not worth it. 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

20 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

spoke to a play away rep today and it doesn’t seem like i’ll have any issues with my plan. 

according to her, the benefit is 2 rounds per market per month. since there’s only one club local to me here in new york that participates in Play Away, that means i can play it twice a month for $60. i’m cool with that. 

i’ve got a email in to the head of the Play Away program to see if there’s any sort of a hidden catch. i’ll let you know on monday what she has to say. 

1 hour ago, Chip Strokes said:

spoke to a play away rep today and it doesn’t seem like i’ll have any issues with my plan. 

according to her, the benefit is 2 rounds per market per month. since there’s only one club local to me here in new york that participates in Play Away, that means i can play it twice a month for $60. i’m cool with that. 

i’ve got a email in to the head of the Play Away program to see if there’s any sort of a hidden catch. i’ll let you know on monday what she has to say. 

Ok, that's good to know. I may just hang on to it for a while, hoping I'll travel again someday. 

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino