TESTERS WANTED! ×

US Open inspired: what clubs are better out of the rough?

Buffly

Watching the US Open players struggle out of the rough makes me wonder what clubs are better suited for more control out of the rough?

Are players like Tiger and Rory, who play blades, putting themselves at a disadvantage based on club choice? 

Would a wider sole design, like a super game improvement club G410, give the players a better chance?

In my experience, hybrids and fairway woods have better reliability out of the rough than long irons. Does anyone have any personal, anecdotal experience in the matter?

What would be an ideal, rough cutting bag setup for deep rough like our 2020 US Open?

Driver, 3w, 4/5w or 3h, 4h, 5h, 6i-9i G410, Wedges Ping Glide 3.0?? 

Building a set designed more for trouble than fairways: advantage or disadvantage?

Any player already changing equipment better suited to this US Open Course?

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Matt Wolff - Taylormade 750 proto irons and no hybrid (FromTaylormade's website) but, an article said the new P7-MC were put in play and, watching on TV, he does have a hybrid in play. The P7-MC is definitely another conventional club and not game improvement. 

Bryson Dechambeu - King Forged One Length and a Utility, no hybrids or fairways (from Cobra's site) but, they are showing steel shafts in the irons which don't seem correct. An article from the tour championship showed 2 fairway woods and 2 utilities before 6-pw of King Irons. The King Forged Tec One irons look to be a modern Cavity back club that has some forgiveness features with some rear COG, mid-level MOI, and 1.2" C dimension. Definitely not a Game improvement club. 

How much forgiveness is needed with these Superspeed players?

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Watching the US Open players struggle out of the rough makes me wonder what clubs are better suited for more control out of the rough?
Are players like Tiger and Rory, who play blades, putting themselves at a disadvantage based on club choice? 
Would a wider sole design, like a super game improvement club G410, give the players a better chance?
In my experience, hybrids and fairway woods have better reliability out of the rough than long irons. Does anyone have any personal, anecdotal experience in the matter?
What would be an ideal, rough cutting bag setup for deep rough like our 2020 US Open?
Driver, 3w, 4/5w or 3h, 4h, 5h, 6i-9i G410, Wedges Ping Glide 3.0?? 
Building a set designed more for trouble than fairways: advantage or disadvantage?
"Building a set designed more for trouble than fairways: advantage or disadvantage"

Advantage is my answer:
I learned a long time ago that if I was going to play certain courses or courses that present me with a certain challenge then I needed to have not only a repeatable/consistent swing but an additional club or two to rotate in my bag pending the challenge.

To me regarding the rough, its how much longer is the shot into the green? How thick is the rough? Makes a difference regarding how much run out I expect. Additionally its about shot height (for me big difference between my long hybrids & fairway woods).

Regarding pro's, it may be as simple as can they strike the ball relatively clean or is there too much grass between club face & ball? The pros have the swing speed to advance the ball vs a lot of amateurs.

Tiger is from an area where you had to learn how to account for spin regardless of whether the ball was in the FW or rough. He probably is a little more diverse regarding his clubs in his bag week to week due to era he learned to play in and also the fact, he is Tiger Woods .

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think it’s less about the right club to play from the rough, and more playing the right shot from the rough, especially in US Open conditions.

Buried down 5” and going to try and muscle it 170 to a tucked pin? Unless you’re one of the strongest guys on tour, take your medicine and play to a comfortable wedge number instead of a hero shot. Limit the big number.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Sub Zero,10°, Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

3W: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Sub Zero, 15°, Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

3H: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Sub Zero, 18°, KBS Tour Hybrid 75S

4i-PW: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Pro, +1°, True Temper Elevate Tour S, Standard Lie

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 - 50°/12F, 54°/14F, 58°/14K

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Special Select Squareback 2, 35"

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

18 hours ago, Buffly said:

How much forgiveness is needed with these Superspeed players?

Very little, if you look at their iron faces there are dime size marks in the middle of the club. Also remember that if the super high speed players may swing all out with driver but have a much more controlled iron swing. 

On 9/19/2020 at 12:23 PM, Buffly said:

I am going to guess that nobody plays a course setup like that ever.

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."