Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Garmin Approach S60 or Comparable

Stuka44

I have an old Garmin Approach S2, and a Bushnell Neo xs.  I am a watch and not a rangefinder person.  I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with the S60 or any comparable Bushnell watch.  I am thinking about upgrading. 

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

I have the Garmin Vivoactive 4 as my daily-wear smart/fitness watch and I really, really like it. For golf purposes, it does what I need (front/middle/back yardages, ability to select different pin locations, track shot distances and score) I ended up getting a rangefinder as well because I've found on some courses the GPS isn't quite as precise and I've had a few... errors in my club selection. With a rangefinder, my watch is now my 'dummy-check.' I'll shoot the flag and then check my watch to see if that's a reasonable yardage.

Overkill? Probably. But I also don't shoot every. single. flag. 

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

1 hour ago, stuka44 said:

I have an old Garmin Approach S2, and a Bushnell Neo xs.  I am a watch and not a rangefinder person.  I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with the S60 or any comparable Bushnell watch.  I am thinking about upgrading. 

I have the s60 and love it. It does everything I want it to do. I previously had another garmen product that was more for back packing and back country stuff. It had a golf app but wasnt great. The s60 is nice and slim in comparison and combined with the app it's a great tracking and all around great addition to my game. On the course everyone always asks me yardage and compared to my range finder it's usually within 3-5 yards. I'm not that good anyways to dial in 3-5 yards so it's perfect. My greens in regulation have gone up big time because I'm choosing the right club more often. If I hit it pure haha 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

I went with the Garmin S20 as they are gettable for very very cheap and I didn't feel the need to have the full map features of the S60. Garmin is definitely the leader of the pack for golf watches though, so I would stick with them. My S20 does everything I want, front-middle-back yardages, hazard yardages and automatic shot tracking. Not bulky at all, so I wear it as an every day watch. Lasts 3-4 rounds of GPS tracking on a single charge.

2024 is the year of the short set!

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 11.5* stiff

Hybrid: PXG 0311 GEN5 19*

Irons: JustGolf Forged Blades (4, 6, 8, PW)

Wedge: 56* Forged Prototype

Putter: PXG Blackjack Center Shaft 34"

Bag: Sunday Golf Loma XL

I have had my S60 about 18 months and it's great.  I upgraded (from TomTom 2) as I wanted hole maps.  I wear it as my normal day to day watch and battery life is fine, but i think it could struggle to do 2 full rounds comfortably without a little top up.  I find the fitness tracking features useful to have, but it has no heart rate monitor built in, which is no big deal for me (if it stops I will find out soon enough).

Thanks to everyone for the information.  I will just have to look and see how many features I really need.  Thanks Again!!!!

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 9/20/2020 at 12:14 AM, Pandaman said:

I have had my S60 about 18 months and it's great.  I upgraded (from TomTom 2) as I wanted hole maps.  I wear it as my normal day to day watch and battery life is fine, but i think it could struggle to do 2 full rounds comfortably without a little top up.  I find the fitness tracking features useful to have, but it has no heart rate monitor built in, which is no big deal for me (if it stops I will find out soon enough).

Mine will not make it through 2 rounds. I can play 27 and it will usually die a few holes after that. for 18 its great no issues and come home with 20-30% left. I also use it as my dailey watch and if I know i'm playing saturday I will usually fully charge it the night before and it still wont make it though 2 rounds.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

I have a bushnell neo ion2 and it’s great. Simple, fast, front, back and middle with 4 hazards per hole.  Can measure shot distance if desired.  Can get two full rounds out of the watch if the watch is fully charged.  The bushnell phone app you get with the watch works well if you need to see the entire hole and want to check various distances while waiting at the tee.  I have a Nikon stabilizer range finder and the distances are always close to the same.  However, I rarely use the rangefinder now as I trust the watch.  I had a Garmin G7 prior to the Nikon and Watch.  It was nice to see the entire hole, accurate, and fast, but I got tired of having to pull it out.  The watch speeds up play and works well for me.  I’ve been experimenting with Golf Pad GPS on the iPhone after reading about Arccos and Shotscope V3 here.  I may try the Golf Pad tags and start tracking.  Arccos is too expensive and their device batteries appear to last only a couple or so years from what I’ve read.  Shotscope appeals to me but I’d hate editing.  I’m hoping having to tag eliminates the misses.

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.