TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ping Cadence Vs Evnroll? Are these almost the same tech?

Buffly

Is the Ping Cadence the same tech as the Evnroll grooves?

I came across one and, I am questioning if I spent too much on my Evnroll when I could have just bought a Cadence?

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

image.png.9e58a9cd12b7a6f075ad54187cdfd0e6.png

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

I still have an original Ping Ketsch that had the variable depth grooves. Ping issued a recall for replacement but I kept mine. Still use it occasionally.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Sort of. The original TR grooves were so much like the Evnroll grooves that Evnroll sued Ping and Ping had to stop using them 

And now Ping has no grooves. Makes you wonder.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Well they have two lines - one with and one without.  

Will have to watch as new lines come out each year.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I’ve owned both and I don’t know how they could be equal. The grooves on the Ping True Roll are much shallower and the variation from center out is much more subtle than the Evnroll Sweet Face - but I don’t have data or evidence for the Ping (Evnroll has been tested independently). I believe the Evnroll face tech has a greater distance and directional effect than Pings. I went from an Evnroll ER2 to a Ping Sigma2 Tyne 4 (briefly) and then on to an Evnroll ER5B. I respect and liked the Ping, but Evnroll is noticeably more consistent IME. Not sure which exact models you’re comparing but I wouldn’t expect a cast putter to cost the same as a milled putter.

And if you’re still wondering...

B4440563-6367-40F2-896B-940CBE925A77.jpeg

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Either is great. You're literally splitting hairs with groove tech. Go look at the model posted above, 4 out of the top 5 have no groove tech...how many pros use it...how many amateurs are lighting up qualifiers with groove tech? I will say this for the 100,000 time, if groove tech allowed you to make .5 putt more over the course of a round or several rounds...don't you think that might come in handy to some pros that finish one stroke shy of making the playoffs and keeping their cards? Most will disagree, most will claim that grooves work - save it - I've tested it (I actually want it to work), the pros have tested it, whatever difference it makes or doesn't make is shy of marginal. IMO i would go with the ping, great feel, less expensive and is essentially the exact same tech.

Disclaimer, I am not saying groove tech, micro hinge, pure roll or true roll have no affect on an individual's putting, it certainly might and probably does with people that have awful strokes (those that slice putts and have a terrible attack angel and other crazy things) but i think the better question is, if someone needs that much tech to help ...wouldn't it behoove them to just work to groove a better stroke? If you're looking for a putter that actually might have the only tech that's worth something, check out SIK putters - DLT tech helps deliver putts at a consistent angle almost every time. Check them out - not affiliated with them, but there's something to it. 

Funny enough, most of the pros that I see with an Odyssey have the stock insert removed and replaced with the old original white hot insert without any groove tech. I heard on a Callaway podcast it was because they all grew up with the white hot insert and were just used to the feel. 

My bag is a revolving door!

I heard on a Callaway podcast it was because they all grew up with the white hot insert and were just used to the feel. 

The only problem/inaccuracy with this is how people interpret “feel”. Pros generally use the putters that they use because that feel translates to ball speed. Ball speed is distance control and they have trained themselves over many years that the sound/feel they experience will cause the ball to go X distance.

Since they are good at hitting close to the same spot and delivering the putter in the same way they won’t see as much benefit from ball roll technologies. Evnroll for example would require a player to learn new feels to roll the ball a specific distance since center contact has lower ball speeds.

Amateurs who struggle with delivering consistent loft, face angle, or ball impact location benefit from ball roll technologies since they help equalize those misses.

I don’t think there can be any argument that grooves change how a putter performs. The question is whether the technology provides you with the help you need. For example if you deliver the club with an open face and off the heel on one putt and then a closed face off the toe on the next you need to work on your stroke and worry about the putter characteristics beyond the face.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

The only problem/inaccuracy with this is how people interpret “feel”. Pros generally use the putters that they use because that feel translates to ball speed. Ball speed is distance control and they have trained themselves over many years that the sound/feel they experience will cause the ball to go X distance.

Since they are good at hitting close to the same spot and delivering the putter in the same way they won’t see as much benefit from ball roll technologies. Evnroll for example would require a player to learn new feels to roll the ball a specific distance since center contact has lower ball speeds.

Amateurs who struggle with delivering consistent loft, face angle, or ball impact location benefit from ball roll technologies since they help equalize those misses.

I don’t think there can be any argument that grooves change how a putter performs. The question is whether the technology provides you with the help you need. For example if you deliver the club with an open face and off the heel on one putt and then a closed face off the toe on the next you need to work on your stroke and worry about the putter characteristics beyond the face.

Not just grooves but any face milling. Or milling variations. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

exactly