Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Hitting Mats - Fiberbuilt vs True Strike vs Country Club Elite

So MGS members, who among you has tried all three?  Thoughts, experiences and recommendations would be appreciated.

I can’t believe there isn’t an official MGS review out there, and if I’ve missed it please point me in the right direction. 

Been on a hunt for the best mat. Want to avoid the bouncing fat shot that comes off fine... Also want to protect the old wrists and elbows.  Want to hit irons and also use my own tee (or a real tee like solution) for my driver.  These three seem like the top of the line. Different solutions to hit down on the ball and avoid bouncing into it. But of course there isn’t a golf mat showroom out there so I can’t do a comparison. Before dropping what is likely to be close to $1,000 or more I thought I’d see if any of you have been able to do any side by side comparisons. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

21 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I have the CC Elite Real Feel mat, and I have no complaints.  Fat shots are not rewarded.  I do believe it's helped me improve ball striking.  

Can I ask some more about the CCE?  Does it really hold a tee?  Any idea how tall the fibers are?  Do you think you really hit down and thru the pile?

can I ask what you have it laying on for a base?  The fiberbuilt and true strike both have composite bases. I think it’d need to build something (no biggie) underneath this. 

can I ask what size you have?

sorry for all the questions. And thank you in advance. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

• 1 year later...
On 9/21/2020 at 8:11 AM, Kenny B said:

I have the CC Elite Real Feel mat, and I have no complaints.  Fat shots are not rewarded.  I do believe it's helped me improve ball striking.  

How has it held up over time? Any wrist or elbow pain? What size do you have?

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

On 5/26/2022 at 11:39 AM, cciciora13 said:

I ordered at the start of the pandemic and it was tough to get any mat and net to hit into.  Our course was closed for 6 weeks.  The only mats available at the time were the 20" x 36" and they were sold as a pair.  I wanted a bigger mat, but they are expensive!  I'm actually glad I got this size.  I stand on one mat and hit off the other; easy to adjust the spacing to go from wedge to driver.  My only complaint is that fat shots tend to move the mat a little, and I have to adjust every so often.  The mats are on foam exercise tiles available at Home Depot which are laid over bare concrete.  Not really a big deal though.  If I make good contact, I don't have to adjust... so there's incentive to not hit fat shots!!  🤣  As for wear, I mostly hit 9i-5i off the mat and I hit between 100-150 balls during a session; 4-5 days a week.  So I'm starting my 3rd year on it and I can see some wear on the surface, but nothing that interferes with a shot.

In this photo you can see the two scuffed areas on either side of the holes for tees.  I rotated the mat 180º a year ago.  The good news is that the other mat is unused and perfect, so I can swap them if I ever need to.  As far as pain from hitting the mat, well at 75 years old I have all kinds of pain!!  I don't generate a lot of swing speed and I'm a sweeper, not a digger.  I can certainly tell when I hit a fat shot, but I have never had any pain in my hands and elbows from hitting the mat.  The mat is actually quite thick, but not spongy like the one at the range at my course during the winter.  

I'm going to lose this hitting area shortly.  It was a temporary room added on over a patio by the previous owner.  I have contractors coming that will tear it down and build a room to code that I will use as my hitting bay/exercise room/bonus room.  I will certainly miss using it during the remodel!!

IMG_1570.jpeg.b559acfc59828f6b2c44fecc8a06ef89.jpeg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 5/26/2022 at 2:39 PM, cciciora13 said:

In late Jan I bought the 5star perfect reaction mat. Looks very similar to the Country Club Elite.  https://5stargolfmats.com/5-star-gorilla-perfect-reaction-golf-mats-4x5/. The prices definitely went up in the last 4 months. But overall extremely happy with it. I just lay it on my grass lawn to hit in my net. You can stick a tee in it, but if you use tall tees, it's difficult to get the tee into the base pad. So the tee will only go about 5/8" into the "grass" part of the mat. But it came with a rubber tee holder so using that you can use whatever tee you want. I bought the 4'x5' size. If I would have seen it, I would have paid more for the 5' hexagon mat. That way you can constantly rotate it so you are not always standing on the same spot. With my rectangle mat, I just flip it after 3-4 sessions. I hit about 100 balls every 2-3 days or so (more than 1000 shots to date). I just leave it outside (I live in South Florida so plenty of rain) and it has not had any effect on the performance of the mat at all. No wrist issues after 4 months. When you hit it fat you can feel it (nothing that vibrates or is hard on the wrists) and it's noticeable in the data if you have a portable launch monitor (I see about a 25 yd distance loss on fat shots). 

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG