Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

New Honma Irons

gavinski91

honma_tr21x_irons_std-09-3.jpg

Info on the new Honma TR21X irons is out, and damn, do they look good! https://mygolfspy.com/honma-tr21x-irons-a-new-players-distance-option/

Looks to me like a cross between the P770 and the Forged Tec, and trying to bridge the gap between player's distance and GI irons. If the results from the Honma driver forum test are any indication, some folks are in for major yardage gains with these things!

What do you think, would you give them a shot?

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

Thanks for the link to the article! After reading through the review on the TR20 driver, I would definitely give these a try if I were looking for something in the players distance category. I love the way they look and with the recent rave reviews on their driver and wedges, I'm sure Honma has a winner here. 

While nice looking clubs, put me in the camp of preferring the TW-X from the pics. I’m guessing they look better in person though

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

16 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Nice looking clubs, but there's just something about a mole as a logo.  

And here I thought it was a seal.

1 hour ago, gavinski91 said:

Looks to me like a cross between the P770 and the Forged Tec

And they all look to have hues of the i500's... which brings up a question... who was the first mfg. and which model was the original "players distance" iron?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Nice looking clubs and they likely perform very well, though testing will tell us for sure. I personally would remove the large Honma logo, leaving just the small logo and club name. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 9/21/2020 at 9:26 PM, fixyurdivot said:

And here I thought it was a seal.

And they all look to have hues of the i500's... which brings up a question... who was the first mfg. and which model was the original "players distance" iron?

Playing the I500s they are a bit similar. The players distance category took off with Taylormade and PXG offerings a few years back, but tough to nail down an exact date or model, as it depends on your definition of player distance irons. And I am sure some with much more knowledge than myself will bring up a club like these from years back that had some of this same features.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

13 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Playing the I500s they are a bit similar. The players distance category took off with Taylormade and PXG offerings a few years back, but tough to nail down an exact date or model, as it depends on your definition of player distance irons. And I am sure some with much more knowledge than myself will bring up a club like these from years back that had some of this same features.

Interesting.  I honestly don't know the origins of the relatively new (perhaps newest) club category. Outwardly it certainly speaks to a large portion of the playing audience bell-curve... myself included.  

What irons did you game prior to the i500's?  Did you look at any other PD irons when deciding on them?

7 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Interesting.  I honestly don't know the origins of the relatively new (perhaps newest) club category. Outwardly it certainly speaks to a large portion of the playing audience bell-curve... myself included.  

What irons did you game prior to the i500's?  Did you look at any other PD irons when deciding on them?

I played the 08 TM Burners. I know TM started moving into this space with their M2 Tour irons and M1 irons before the filled P790. When fitting I stuck almost exclusively to this category, for better or worse. Swing was not as consistent at the time but wanted the slimmer profile. I looked at P790, AP3, I500, JPX 900 Forged, Callaway Apex 16. I liked the feel of the I500 the best, but still gave the forgiveness and have the best distance/dispersion for me.

Just now, ejgaudette said:

I played the 08 TM Burners. I know TM started moving into this space with their M2 Tour irons and M1 irons before the filled P790. When fitting I stuck almost exclusively to this category, for better or worse. Swing was not as consistent at the time but wanted the slimmer profile. I looked at P790, AP3, I500, JPX 900 Forged, Callaway Apex 16. I liked the feel of the I500 the best, but still gave the forgiveness and have the best distance/dispersion for me.

Yea, I'm drawn to these as well but in all honesty don't know if that's the right direction.  I'm really looking forward to a bag fitting this winter and seeing what they recommend.  I did hit both the i210 and i500's last winter and both provided more distance than my G410's without any loss in accuracy.  I liked the feel and look of i500's better. 

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yea, I'm drawn to these as well but in all honesty don't know if that's the right direction.  I'm really looking forward to a bag fitting this winter and seeing what they recommend.  I did hit both the i210 and i500's last winter and both provided more distance than my G410's without any loss in accuracy.  I liked the feel and look of i500's better. 

Nice I would also say the only think I have noticed now playing them a bit more is you really feel those thin ones. The speed slot on something like the P770 or 790 could help that, though I see a full PING bag so not sure if you are looking to change brands.